Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

OMG...Never even knew you could buy canned minced beef...
    • 3rd Dec 08, 2:33 PM
    OMG...Never even knew you could buy canned minced beef... 3rd Dec 08 at 2:33 PM

I did not honestly!

My brother emigrated on Sunday and gave me 2 MASSIVE boxes of store cupboard items. Threw most of it as it was not just out of date, it was older than him! But there are still things in date, but things I never knew existed! Can't believe he has eaten this rubbish ewwwww

Anyway, only thing i'm stumped at what to do with is 16 tins of tesco canned mince beef and onion lol

I'm a veggie but ds 20 months is a meat eater and eats proper meals and is far, far from fussy

These cans contain alot of salt, but i'm not worried as DS has an extremely low salt intake even for his age etc

But is this stuff okay? Sorry if I sound 'snobby' just never even knew it did exist and if it is ok to give to DS what would you do with it?

If I can't work it out, i'll give it to someone for their pets lol

Page 2
    • julieq
    • By julieq 4th Dec 08, 9:41 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 6,743 Thanks
    Having actually been in the 1970s, which was I guess the tail end of the olden days, I can vouch for the existence of canned mince. Not very many people had freezers then, cans were a very practical way of storing food, and I still feel a certain comfort from the idea of having cans stored away.

In fact I remember eating a lot of things from cans in those days, the most interesting episode being the large collection of unlabelled cans someone gave my father, I think as a joke, which were completely random. We'd open one at the weekend and try to find a way of using it whatever it was was great fun. Which may in itself be a good idea for an old style Christmas present...

One of my great guilty pleasures comes from that period actually, my parents were renovating a house at weekends and there were limited cooking facilities. So lunch was usually a Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie in the can, and I remember the rather smooth and crispy pastry on the top very fondly.

I'd personally ignore use buy dates on cans, within reason, and I'd use the mince for bolognaise or chilli or even a 1970s style beef mince curry.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 4th Dec 08, 9:52 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 29,285 Thanks
    I'm not the worlds fussiest eater any more, but I used to come close, and I've always found tinned mince bearable. You don't need to taste it, just sniff whatever you've made. If it smells disgusting, then it probably is.

I would add plenty of veg and serve it with mashed potato. Also, it can be frozen, so you don't have to give it to your ds for days on end. You can take your time using it.
    • kitschkitty
    • By kitschkitty 4th Dec 08, 10:27 PM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 5,043 Thanks
    I regularly use tinned steak for a quick beef stew, but bought a brand name tinned minced beef (with carrot and peas) and it's horrid, has a greasy and uncooked flour flavour.

Firstly I'd check the percentage of meat before deciding if you want to eat it or not.
    • 98sidney
    • By 98sidney 4th Dec 08, 10:30 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    Give it to a homeless charity or salvation army they will make good use of it..
    !!!9829;!!!9829;!!!9829;Life is too short to wake up with regrets !!!9829; So love the people who treat you right. !!!9829; Forget about the one’s who don’t !!!9829; Believe everything happens for a reason !!!9829; If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands !!!9829; If it changes your life, let it !!!9829; Nobody said life would be easy, they just promise it would be worth it !!!9829;
    • sweetiesarahjaneuk
    • By sweetiesarahjaneuk 4th Dec 08, 10:33 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks

I find different brands taste different - but if its the pr*nces one then I really like it! DH and I sometimes use it to make a super fast 'cottage pie' when we just have no time to do anything else and feel like something really filling! Basically we chuck into a ovenproof dish:
    2 x tins of mince beef and onion (with gravy)
    1 x large tin of sliced carrots
    1 x large tin of marrowfat type peas

Stir together and top with mash then bake for about 20 mins, then add some cheese on top and back into the oven for it to melt.

I think its quite yummy and although we dont have it often its quite a good way to have something quick also a good way to use up store cupboard stuff at the end of a tight month!!

Sarah x
  • Reverbe
    Personally I would give it away to someone with a dog.I have tried canned mince in the past and it tasted awful.Would not want to feed it to any of my children.
    Waste not want not is important to me but this is one thing I would waste !
    Originally posted by mother noah
    M & S used to do one - dunno if they still do. Mum usd to use it for Shepherds Pie with a bit of curry powder in.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 5th Dec 08, 12:47 AM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    My Mum always used to do canned mince with curry powder in and I used to love it on toast, but don't know that I could fancy it nowadays....

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • LouBlue

I did not honestly!

My brother emigrated on Sunday and gave me 2 MASSIVE boxes of store cupboard items. Threw most of it as it was not just out of date, it was older than him! But there are still things in date, but things I never knew existed! Can't believe he has eaten this rubbish ewwwww
    Originally posted by broclo
    If its good enough for Saint Delia.............:rolleyes:
    A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition

~ William Arthur Ward ~
  • broclo
    If its good enough for Saint Delia.............:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by LouBlue
    lol did not mean the mince was rubbish, meant the stuff that was 6 years out of date!

As for the mince, it seems everyone is divided, I can be a food snob, but it honestly smelt good, looked good and ds LOVED it. It is 78% mince and the rest is all onions etc, really no nasties added. Looking at it now it appears no different than the cheaper minces anyway. Despite being very wary of it, it seems that tinned mince has come a long way and once the tins have gone i'll certainly be thinking about buying more as I think it has a place in my store cupboard for emergencies.

As a single mum(1 was due on sun!)I can see there may be times when as a non driver I could have problems with adverse weather or one of us being ill and served with some mash and veg it could be a fantatic warming dinner that can be rustled together in two tics! It is obviously not the greatest stuff but it can be no worse than chicken nuggets or some of the other 'junk' people feed their children?
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 5th Dec 08, 9:06 AM
    • 8,043 Posts
    • 19,444 Thanks
    I remember the tins of mince,it was very popular.My mum would make a plate pie and my kids loved it.That was back in the early 70s.It was usually Fray Bentos.
    The weirdest thing that remember in tins was the double ended tins in the mid 60s.There was one my gran got Smedleys made it I think,in one end was garden peas and in the other the most disgusting mint sauce you have ever come across.There was also a one made by (I think) Uncle Ben that had partly cooked rice in one end and when you opened the other there was a beef curry.
    I still gag thinking of that minty pea sauce.Horrible.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 4th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 6,004 Posts
    • 9,248 Thanks
    Resurrected years old thread, and a double posting, I have answered Plych on the other thread he started on EEC butter
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 4th Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Doubt it - that would require intelligence.... I think this is just a co-incidence and that Farway is right, it was a result of overproduction.

Not sure that the orignial poster was talking about EEC beef in tins anyway
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 265.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 4th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 21,018 Thanks
    If OP's child is devouring it, I think a solution to the problem has been found.

That said, we'd eat almost anything after swimming, we were ravenous.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 19,362 Posts
    • 51,379 Thanks

The original thread was started nearly 10 years ago.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 15,665 Posts
    • 132,776 Thanks
    Hopefully the 20 month old survived the tinned mince and is now a strapping teenager
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year
    Jan; £29.22. Feb:£30.49 March £19.11
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,540Posts Today

7,440Users online

Martin's Twitter