Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > They've Stopped my Incapacity Benefit! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
They've Stopped my Incapacity Benefit!
Closed Thread
Views: 14,723
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
beachbeth
Old 29-11-2008, 4:01 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,690
Default They've Stopped my Incapacity Benefit!

I am so upset at the moment as I have been getting IB for a number of years because I suffer from depression. I recently went for a medical where the doctor asked me questions such as 'do I drink in the mornings' and 'did I have a good night's sleep the night before'. Well, it just so happened I had had a good night's sleep the night before and I never drink in the mornings. I told him, though, that I frequently wake up early in the mornings and find it hard to enjoy books or music like I used to etc.

However, I found out yesterday that my IB has been stopped because I received my P45 through the post. I rang to ask why they had sent me this and they said I had failed my medical (they hadn't sent me a letter to say I'd failed and that my IB was being stopped!).

Im in absolute bits as I suffer from panic attacks and all the usual symptoms of depression and there is no way I can go back to work. Yet someone sitting behind a desk somewhere has decided I "haven't got enough points" in order to still get the IB!!!

I am going to the CAB on Monday to see how to appeal but Im so scared and upset about this. My husband will have to come with me and lose at least half a day's wages. How easy or hard is this to sort out? Ive heard it can take months and in the meantime Ive lost my money (my husband earns too much for me to get income support). Im finding it difficult to think straight and just can't think how Im going to get on without the support of IB.
beachbeth is offline
Report Post
# 2
woodbine
Old 29-11-2008, 4:20 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: under a cloud of tobacco smoke
Posts: 16,266
Default

You are doing the right thing in going to CAB as you must appeal and they will help you,but appeals can take time
~~~JOHN~~~



woodbine is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to woodbine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
natalie1980
Old 29-11-2008, 6:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: scotland
Posts: 152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbeth View Post
I am so upset at the moment as I have been getting IB for a number of years because I suffer from depression. I recently went for a medical where the doctor asked me questions such as 'do I drink in the mornings' and 'did I have a good night's sleep the night before'. Well, it just so happened I had had a good night's sleep the night before and I never drink in the mornings. I told him, though, that I frequently wake up early in the mornings and find it hard to enjoy books or music like I used to etc.

However, I found out yesterday that my IB has been stopped because I received my P45 through the post. I rang to ask why they had sent me this and they said I had failed my medical (they hadn't sent me a letter to say I'd failed and that my IB was being stopped!).

Im in absolute bits as I suffer from panic attacks and all the usual symptoms of depression and there is no way I can go back to work. Yet someone sitting behind a desk somewhere has decided I "haven't got enough points" in order to still get the IB!!!

I am going to the CAB on Monday to see how to appeal but Im so scared and upset about this. My husband will have to come with me and lose at least half a day's wages. How easy or hard is this to sort out? Ive heard it can take months and in the meantime Ive lost my money (my husband earns too much for me to get income support). Im finding it difficult to think straight and just can't think how Im going to get on without the support of IB.
You can appeal. Ask for form GL24 "If you think our decision is wrong". Get it in as quickly as possible, it must be in one month from when you where disallowed, if its going to be late you must give your reasons why. Use the word "I wish to have my claim reconsidered and if necessary appeal" this way a decision maker will look at it to decide if they can give you any more points.

I f the decision maker doesnt revise your claim it will be forwarded onto The Appeals Service, you can claim reduced rate Income Support while you wait on your appeal to be heard.

Hope this helps.
natalie1980 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to natalie1980 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
welshmoneylover
Old 29-11-2008, 6:56 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea
Posts: 2,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbeth View Post
though, that I frequently wake up early in the mornings and find it hard to enjoy books or music like I used to etc.
I don't get this part. What difference does it make that you don't enjoy books or music like you used to?

Sue x
welshmoneylover is offline
Report Post
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to welshmoneylover For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
dmg24
Old 29-11-2008, 7:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 29,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshmoneylover View Post
I don't get this part. What difference does it make that you don't enjoy books or music like you used to?

Sue x
I assume you haven't had depression?

DLA is about the care and support that you need due to being unwell. From what the OP has said, they need support and encouragement to do everyday tasks such as, for instance, reading.
dmg24 is offline
Report Post
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
dmg24
Old 29-11-2008, 7:07 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 29,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie1980 View Post
I f the decision maker doesnt revise your claim it will be forwarded onto The Appeals Service, you can claim reduced rate Income Support while you wait on your appeal to be heard.
The OP's husband works full time and therefore they will not be eligible for IS.

beachbeth, hopefully CAB will be able to help with your appeal. If not (not all areas have sufficient resources to help), feel free to post back and we'll do what we can to help x
dmg24 is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
healy
Old 29-11-2008, 7:59 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg24 View Post
I assume you haven't had depression?

DLA is about the care and support that you need due to being unwell. From what the OP has said, they need support and encouragement to do everyday tasks such as, for instance, reading.
I think you may have got mixed up here as the OP was talking about IB rather than DLA but I see where you are coming from anyway.
healy is online now
Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to healy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
choccycat
Old 29-11-2008, 8:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 43
Default

they did this to me too back on may this year with no notice and it had been 9 MONTHS since my docs interview. I moved the same day it was stopped and was due to give birth to my first baby by the time id realised and it was over the month ( i explained the situation ) though i did appeal and after 6 months of waiting to hear about my appeal which i thought id be contacted about by letter, i called and they told me that my appeal hadnt been successful so i said i wanted to complain as no one bothered to tell me that.

Unfortunately these people just dont care.

You need to get on to it asap and take it as far as you can if you are feeling upto it. It is so unfair.

Also request a copy of the doctors report as when i got mine it was completely made up.I remember feeling at the time the doctor was foreign and didnt understand what i was saying properly.

I wish i had been more in top of it but with the move and having a baby it just escaped me.

Good luck and let us no what happens.

2 savers club 2009 051-16
Sealed Pot Challenge 2009 505
choccycat is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to choccycat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
dmg24
Old 29-11-2008, 8:35 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 29,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by healy View Post
I think you may have got mixed up here as the OP was talking about IB rather than DLA but I see where you are coming from anyway.
Oops, yep, blame eating pizza and trying to type at the same time!
dmg24 is offline
Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
megramya
Old 29-11-2008, 8:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Default

Hi, I really sympathize with your situation as the same happened to me a few years ago - and I know how terrifying it can feel. I was lucky to find a great person to help me through the appeal - through a local family's unemplyed project, but your local MIND should have the same sort of advice and support on offer. I think it made the appeal panel take me more seriously because I had sought out support - aknowledged that the appeal process would be frightening on my own. This person talked through the questions with me, and on specific points that i could elaborate on, and accompanied me to the appeal.
The points system is flawed - and makes a lot of assumptions and generalisations about what constitutes mental illness or inability to work. My advice would be to make sure that you are really honest and descriptive about your WORST days - as this is the bottom line. Certain things like eating disorders for example aren't really taken into account in the initial medical. The appeal should give you the chance to get past the points system and have your voice heard.
I won my appeal. I can't say it was pleasant or not anxiety provoking - but not hiding how difficult I found the process only served to validate my depression to the panel.
I wish you lots of luck. CAB is a great start. Remember you are not alone, and CAB people will have met lots of people who have gone through the same thing and gone on to win their appeal.
megramya is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to megramya For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
bigbill
Old 29-11-2008, 8:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 589
Default

Appeal within one month.

I would suggest you claim Employment Support Allowance while waiting on the IB appeal no harm in trying, 0800 0 55 66 88.
bigbill is offline
Report Post
# 12
Oldernotwiser
Old 29-11-2008, 9:16 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 35,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by megramya View Post
My advice would be to make sure that you are really honest and descriptive about your WORST days - as this is the bottom line. .
You should never make a claim that your worst days are the norm; this is lying and fraudulent. You should be honest and open about your normal situation and the way it varies.
Oldernotwiser is offline
Report Post
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Oldernotwiser For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
beachbeth
Old 29-11-2008, 9:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccycat View Post
Unfortunately these people just dont care.
We got this impression when my husband and I rang them on Friday. To send you your p45 back with no explanation that I had failed the medical or that my IB had been stopped was a horrible thing to do. I had to ring to ask them why they had sent me my p45 and this was when I was told bluntly that I had failed the medical and was no longer going to get IB! I broke down in tears and couldn't carry on speaking on the phone. Its as though they are making me out to be a liar! They even told me to reapply for IB in 6 months but with a different illness! What am I supposed to do? Make an illness up?

My husband rang them and told them what a state I was in and that the medical was wrong (without being angry or aggressive on the phone) and they just spoke like they couldn't give a rats ***. Im supposed to be getting something through the post on Monday to tell me how to appeal, but whether I get it or not Im going to go to the CAB. I need my husband to come with me though.

Im so upset that I haven't even told my mum yet and I know I will break down in front of her when I tell her. My dad and her are in their 70s and have enough stress at the moment with a brother of mine who has split from his wife. I don't want to add to things.

Sorry to ramble on but, believe it or not, your comments and advice have really helped me feel more positive. I will let you know what the CAB say and what happens next.
beachbeth is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beachbeth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
healy
Old 29-11-2008, 9:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldernotwiser View Post
You should never make a claim that your worst days are the norm; this is lying and fraudulent. You should be honest and open about your normal situation and the way it varies.
Thank you for that. I have seen this incorrect advice about "only mention your worst day" so many times, people have even said welfare rights officers have advised this!
healy is online now
Report Post
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to healy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
woodbine
Old 29-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: under a cloud of tobacco smoke
Posts: 16,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by healy View Post
Thank you for that. I have seen this incorrect advice about "only mention your worst day" so many times, people have even said welfare rights officers have advised this!
I have to agree,but would also add that its human nature to be positive about yourself,so the best advice really is "tell it like it is warts and all"
~~~JOHN~~~



woodbine is offline
Report Post
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to woodbine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Oldernotwiser
Old 29-11-2008, 11:32 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 35,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbine View Post
I have to agree,but would also add that its human nature to be positive about yourself,so the best advice really is "tell it like it is warts and all"
Quite a different thing from describing every day as if it's your worst. Honest and candid is the way to go.
Oldernotwiser is offline
Report Post
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oldernotwiser For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
megramya
Old 30-11-2008, 11:52 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Default

I have to agree,but would also add that its human nature to be positive about yourself,so the best advice really is "tell it like it is warts and all"

Thankyou woodbine - this is more what I meant - sorry for the confusion. I think it's just hard for people with mental illness, as it's common to spend most of the time trying NOT to say how it is and to gloss over the details - because it's private and also the thing of not wanting to worry people sometimes. In the medical/appeal situation it's important not to hide anything and not to be afraid to describe the worst days, but of course in the context of the range of health. However, having enough of the worst days will greatly influence someone's ability to work.
I didn't mean to suggest anything fradulent or dishonest.
megramya is offline
Report Post
# 18
beachbeth
Old 30-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie1980 View Post
You can appeal. Ask for form GL24 "If you think our decision is wrong". Get it in as quickly as possible, it must be in one month from when you where disallowed, if its going to be late you must give your reasons why. Use the word "I wish to have my claim reconsidered and if necessary appeal" this way a decision maker will look at it to decide if they can give you any more points.

I f the decision maker doesnt revise your claim it will be forwarded onto The Appeals Service, you can claim reduced rate Income Support while you wait on your appeal to be heard.

Hope this helps.
Do you mean that I have to fill in a form and that someone at the DSS could possibly give me more points and reinstate my benefit without it going any further?
beachbeth is offline
Report Post
# 19
beachbeth
Old 30-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,690
Default

Has anyone used the www.benefitsandwork.co.uk website? You have to pay 18.95 and you can use their services to help with a benefits appeal/
beachbeth is offline
Report Post
# 20
Tally-Ho
Old 30-11-2008, 1:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbeth View Post
Has anyone used the www.benefitsandwork.co.uk website? You have to pay 18.95 and you can use their services to help with a benefits appeal/
Hi,

My mum used their guides to help with her DLA claim and they were really helpful. Previously she had to appeal to get DLA but she used their guides last time it was renewed and her claim went straight through.

It was definitely worth the 18.95 to join.

Tally
Tally-Ho is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Tally-Ho For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:44 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 20 August 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 88
  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • COLLABROSTARS

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.