Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Ruthjfj
    Overnight cheap electric rates hours are not what you may think
    • 29th Nov 08, 2:12 PM
    Overnight cheap electric rates hours are not what you may think 29th Nov 08 at 2:12 PM
    As I recently moved to Scottish Power to get a fixed rate deal, I wanted to know which overnight hours gave me the cheap rate. I spent ages looking for the information, failed to find it so finally emailed them to ask. The reply came that it depends on the actual supplier in my area rather than the billing provider, so had not changed. They said the times vary from winter to summer and the cheap hours for me (Cheltenham) turned out to be:

Winter Time
    If on the old dial meter it is: 12am - 7am
    If on a digital meter it is: 22:30pm - 00:30am and then 02:30am - 07:30am.

Summer Time
    If on the old dial meter it is: 1am - 8am
    If on a digital meter it is: 1:30am - 8:30am

I am now cross to realise that I have been setting my appliances overnight in the wrong time slots for years, and therefore not getting the full advantage of the cheap rate. I have never been informed that the old 11.30pm - 6.30am economy 7 slot had changed so significantly , let alone become a split shift for most of the year! How on earth was I expected to guess this? Pretty cheeky of them, considering you pay more to have the 2 meters and so you want to use the cheaper slot as much as possible. Any way I pass this on to save others making the same mistake.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,150Posts Today

8,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • 'Is the free EE power bar a con?'.... http://t.co/o8SZSRqeEa

• Are you a tourist in greece right now? Or know someone? Are firms taking credit / debit cards - how is it there?

• RT @wesstreeting: Disappointed that @JoJohnsonMP didn't rule out changing T&Cs on student finance for existing students and graduates @Mart?

• Follow Martin