Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions (Page 13)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions
Views: 75,086
# 241
tattooed_lady
Old 04-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thank you very much for your quick reply Squeaky, really appreciate it. Will try our recipe tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 242
taplady
Old 05-09-2005, 3:49 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I have just bought my first breadmaker on Ebay and am very excited waiting for it to arrive! thanks for all the tips ! I cant wait toproduce my first loaf!!!!
Every penny saved is a penny saved
# 243
Allexie
Old 05-09-2005, 7:42 PM

I've just acquired a new, (to me ), breadmaker today

Its a Morphy Richards 48220 and it's a beast! I had no idea they were so big! Fortunately the manual was with it and also a cup-size measuring thingy but I think there should also be another measuring thingy (tsp?). Can anyone tell me...is this just a standard tsp measure or is it a 'special' one?

Also, (really blonde questions coming up cos I'm a bit intimidated by the manual!), is it right that you just chuck all the ingredients in the pan? And then what...do you have to mix them at all yourself? And when you use the timer thingy is the water/flour/yeast etc happy to just sit there for hours til things start to happen. The manual says something about keeping the yeast away from the liquid...but how on earth do you manage to do that?

I can see a steep learning curve ahead....good grief, becoming a breadmaker-owner is a bit like entering a parallel universe!!
♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allexie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 244
squeaky
Old 05-09-2005, 8:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allexie

Its a Morphy Richards 48220 and it's a beast! I had no idea they were so big! Fortunately the manual was with it and also a cup-size measuring thingy but I think there should also be another measuring thingy (tsp?). Can anyone tell me...is this just a standard tsp measure or is it a 'special' one?

I'd bet on it being a standard (5ml) teaspoon measure.
Quote:

Also, (really blonde questions coming up cos I'm a bit intimidated by the manual!), is it right that you just chuck all the ingredients in the pan? And then what...do you have to mix them at all yourself? And when you use the timer thingy is the water/flour/yeast etc happy to just sit there for hours til things start to happen. The manual says something about keeping the yeast away from the liquid...but how on earth do you manage to do that?

I can see a steep learning curve ahead....good grief, becoming a breadmaker-owner is a bit like entering a parallel universe!!
Yes just chuck everything in and then turn it on

Using the timer... usually you are asked to keep the yeast and the salt separate because the salt kills off the yeast...

..anyway - some machines are liquids first and others are flour first.

For liquids first - add your layer of flour on top of the water and sit the yeast and the salt in different places on the flour (not forgetting any other ingredients, of course )

For flour first - then you'd best put your yeast in quite early.
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50

Last edited by squeaky; 05-09-2005 at 8:07 PM.
# 245
Allexie
Old 05-09-2005, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky
Yes just chuck everything in and then turn it on

Using the timer... usually you are asked to keep the yeast and the salt separate because the salt kills off the yeast...

..anyway - some machines are liquids first and others are flour first.

For liquids first - add your layer of flour on top of the water and sit the yeast and the salt in different places on the flour (not forgetting any other ingredients, of course )

For flour first - then you'd best put your yeast in quite early.
Thanks squeaks! Why couldn't the manual 'splain it like that :confused:

The Following User Says Thank You to Allexie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 246
squeaky
Old 05-09-2005, 8:21 PM

Dunno miss. I've spent my life (it feels like) explaining manuals. Maybe I should have got a job as a technical writer
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

# 247
heather+tom
Old 05-09-2005, 8:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allexie

Buy yourself the VITAL Breadmix .. from LIDL ... makes 2 breads ...
ALL is in ...
Works every time ...
costs 89 pence per Kg (hence 2 breads!)

&is even VERY healthy .. (looking @ the ingredients )

People will believe 'YOU are in the KNOW' ... / tastes and looks so GOOD
(or the mother/father of 'Jamie'..or some other fine dining geek ...)

Good luck ...

(P.S:this is our 15 year home breadmaker experience .. )

Open recipes work ... sometimes ...

The LIDL one ... is for the 'journal of reproducible results'
# 248
Ruby Pudding
Old 06-09-2005, 8:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quick question - I always sift my bread before adding it to the breadmaker but is this really neccessary do you think?
# 249
tom and barbara good
Old 06-09-2005, 11:27 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Would having the kitchen door open a little (to the outside that is) have any effect on the bread baking correctly (ANOTHER sunken loaf!)
If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
# 250
squeaky
Old 06-09-2005, 11:48 AM

Ruby - I've never sifted flour.

Tom - ambient temperatures can make a difference to bread, so a draught from a door (if the breadmaker is in line) might possibly do that.

Otherwise you could do what I do with mine which is ignore the programs!

I set it to make dough. Then I set the kitchen timer for two hours and take a look at how much the bread has risen. If it needs to rise longer I set the timer to quarter hour intervals until the bread is high enough. Then I set the machine to bake. A bit of a pain but you get to know the minimum time a loaf needs and adjust your own timings accordingly.

Sometimes a loaf is WELL up in two hours, yet the next, from the same packet of yeast sachets, will take considerably longer. The only way I've found to beat these variations is to use the technique outlined above.

# 251
tom and barbara good
Old 06-09-2005, 11:59 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks, but it is rising well, then it sinks as it bakes - I'm beginning to get very disilliusioned with it!
# 252
Allexie
Old 06-09-2005, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather+tom
Buy yourself the VITAL Breadmix .. from LIDL ... makes 2 breads ...
ALL is in ...
Works every time ...
costs 89 pence per Kg (hence 2 breads!)

&is even VERY healthy .. (looking @ the ingredients )

People will believe 'YOU are in the KNOW' ... / tastes and looks so GOOD
(or the mother/father of 'Jamie'..or some other fine dining geek ...)

Good luck ...

(P.S:this is our 15 year home breadmaker experience .. )

Open recipes work ... sometimes ...

The LIDL one ... is for the 'journal of reproducible results'
Oh rats!! Got a Netto and an Aldi and every other supermarket known to man/woman on me doorstep....but not a Lidl!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Allexie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 253
squeaky
Old 06-09-2005, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom and barbara good
Thanks, but it is rising well, then it sinks as it bakes - I'm beginning to get very disilliusioned with it!
Oh. Right.

The troubleshooting bit in my hand book says this is because the dough was not strong enough.

The main one here is too much water and not enough flour. (Maybe try reducing water by 20mil per loaf per time until the dough stays up?)

They also say in my book that you should use proper bread flour. I know some of us do very well with ordinary plain flour but until you get this sorted it's best to stay with the book recipe.

Have you checked your scales? It's possible you have the wrong flour weight. Find an unopened pack of rice or pasta or flour and check its weight on your scales. The packaging for those shouldn't weight more than a few (ten?) grams so if your result is off by more than this the scales are wrong.

# 254
tom and barbara good
Old 06-09-2005, 12:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks again - I'm going to have one more go this evening with the door closed and all the suggested points carried out.
# 255
larmy16
Old 06-09-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom and barbara good
Thanks again - I'm going to have one more go this evening with the door closed and all the suggested points carried out.
Tom and Barbara,

I had the MR breadmaker you have, and I had the same problem with the bread rising, then collapsing in the centre. Despite all the tricks, I never did resolve the problem. I do think I had a dodgy machine too though, as all my loaves came out dark crusted, even if I chose the light setting. The loaves were on the heavy side.

Any deviation from the exact measurements resulted in a disaster, as did trying recipes off the back of bread flour packets.

In the end I bought the Panasonic and gave the MR to a neighbour.
# 256
Fluffy Bunny
Old 07-09-2005, 4:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Morphy Richards Fastbake (48280)

I have had varying success with my BM. The recipes in the book seem to require far too much sugar - 3 tablespoons for the 2lb loaf. And the bread does come out v. sweet. says to use oil which does give a silky loaf if you like that sort of texture - more like a madiera cake.
I rang up Morphy Richards who assured me recipe required the exact measurements. Most recipes I've seen have 1-3 teaspoons of sugar. They insisted not an error on their part.

Also as it is a fastbake, was looking forward to quick loaves as I've greedy gannets in my house but if using fastbake (1 hour) I get bricks.

Any suggestions. :confused:
# 257
tom and barbara good
Old 07-09-2005, 5:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The machine can stay, it was touch and go for a while! we have had success by totally ignoring the recipes in the manual and using the recipe I would have followed if I'd been using my trusty old Kenwood Chef (this is the recipe from the back of the strong flour packets this means that the sugar is optional and no oil, just a little soft butter or if you are really old fashioned and for the traditional taste, lard)

I made a white loaf last night and a brown one today, both stayed risen and didn't collapse whilst baking AND I took the paddle thingy out as soon as the kneading was over so that I didn't have to wrench the bread from the tin and leave a big chunk of it behind, now there is just a little hole where the spindle was.
# 258
squeaky
Old 07-09-2005, 5:36 PM

How much different in terms of water and flour were the recipes?

I saw yesterday while looking up troubleshooting for you that they reckoned a collapse was due to too much water v flour. Since my loaves all drop by about an inch (2cm) I put 20mil less water in the mix and the loaf dropped MORE! So much for that idea and back to my old recipe

Glad to know you have good loaves now

# 259
tom and barbara good
Old 07-09-2005, 5:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The Hovis strong flour pack has the traditional bread recipe that I have used for years and years, the only difference being that these day the yeast has changed from the 'real' yeast to the fast action. Back to basics saved the day

1 lb 2 ounces flour
1 oz butter (lard is nicer)
1 1/2 teasp salt
1 1/4 teasp fast action yeast
12 fl oz water
optional 2 teasp sugar

The brown version was the same mixture, I just tinkered around with the proportions of wholemeal, white and granary flour, it was a mixture.
# 260
squeaky
Old 07-09-2005, 7:35 PM

That's a higher water to flour ratio than any of the mixes shown in my book.

Flour 1 lb 2 oz = 450g
Water 12 oz = 336g

in your recipe, versus

Flour 460g
Water 260g

..in mine

Almost the same amount of flour but very different amounts of water. Hmm...

Last edited by squeaky; 07-09-2005 at 7:38 PM.