IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Moving Gas Meter
Closed Thread
Views: 79,299
# 1
gizmos
Old 01-01-2006, 6:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Moving Gas Meter

Hi

We are looking at moving our gas meter and have requested the information from Transco no less than four times and never received anything. Apparently its a standard pack that they send out - does anyone happen to have one of these they can scan/email to me or indeed post on.

Also any advice gratefully received. Only want to move the meter approximately 2ft in order for us to install a garage door
# 2
cheddar
Old 03-01-2006, 3:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send an e-mail to this address, complaints.ds@uk.ngrid.com
should get them moving, if not, contact your supplier, they sometimes have a supply. If you get really stuck then contact Energywatch.

You were able to download part of the pack but now we have changed from Transco to NGT there doesn't seem to be anything on the website for downloads. The pack also includes your application form with carbon paper etc so cannot be printed out in full.

Hope this helps!
# 3
Bri_2205
Old 03-01-2006, 11:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Your gas supplier should be able to sort this out for you.
# 4
gizmos
Old 06-01-2006, 10:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks all got pack sent today from Fulcrum Connections. It looks like it will cost me at least 279 - and its the same if i want to move it two inches or two metres - ah well - lets see
The Following User Says Thank You to gizmos For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
bigdom
Old 02-06-2006, 11:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi- I'm new to this website so still finding my way around. I have a simple question. We currently have a gas meter in a white box on the external wall on the side of the house. We are building an extension so the meter will now be on an internal wall inside the garage (ie not moved) But, National Grid say we have to move it then they say we don't ! Powergen (our supplier) won't reply. Does the meter have to be moved to an external wall or can it remain unmoved ?
# 6
gizmos
Old 03-06-2006, 7:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would say that you should be OK to leave it it - I'm sure tht people Iknow have left theres when building out
# 7
SKIPPY
Old 03-06-2006, 9:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Haven't got a gas meter myself but when parents built a new house a few years back (13 when I've thought about it) Dad had both the gas and electric meters put inside the garage with no problem.
# 8
stopthespends
Old 04-06-2006, 2:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Pm for you
The Following User Says Thank You to stopthespends For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Blue Lou
Old 30-06-2006, 3:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I requested the pack from National Grid. The prices for moving the meter are as follows:

Band Alteration Length
1 0-2metres £460.60
2 >2-6 metres £581.63
3 >6-10metres £736.73
4 > 10-15 metres £905.93
5 > 15-20metres £1084.53

Disgusting isn't it?
# 10
Kimcaf
Old 31-01-2008, 10:04 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Moving a gas meter

We applied to have our meter moved by using the online form on the Transco site, (printed off and posted with a cheque).Having paid the 600.00 the meter was moved within 6 weeks, an initial survey was done within 3 weeks, and the whole job finished within 6. I can't fault the service, they arrived when they said, and inspectors came both during the initial disconnection and subsequently wthe re-connection was taking place. I could have got someone for 100.00 to do it 'on the side' but Gas isn't to be taken lightly so thought that although a bit pricey that the service was great.Hopefully this is a general improvement, incidentally we're in the East Midland area.KJ.
# 11
Terrylw1
Old 31-01-2008, 9:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimcaf View Post
We applied to have our meter moved by using the online form on the Transco site, (printed off and posted with a cheque).Having paid the 600.00 the meter was moved within 6 weeks, an initial survey was done within 3 weeks, and the whole job finished within 6. I can't fault the service, they arrived when they said, and inspectors came both during the initial disconnection and subsequently wthe re-connection was taking place. I could have got someone for 100.00 to do it 'on the side' but Gas isn't to be taken lightly so thought that although a bit pricey that the service was great.Hopefully this is a general improvement, incidentally we're in the East Midland area.KJ.

Plus meter tampering is illegal so you could have ended up in court for it. Not sure on gas but Distributors in elec have started prosecuting builders in the last few years as they keep doing things thye shouldn't 'on the side'.
It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!
# 12
GideonS
Old 20-06-2008, 5:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default 1000 to move meter 1m!!!!!!

I've spent past few weeks being sent from pillar to post trying to find out who can move my gas meter less than 1m on the same wall.

And the result seems to be that National Grid appear to have an monopoly on this and are exploiting it by putting up the minimum price 50% this year to 990!

First I was directed by my plumber to Transo - now National Grid. My wife spoke to them and they helped her download a ridiculously complicated form and stated the price was 990.

The form didn't seem suitable for the work required so I spent a long time on Nat Grid's website and found there a notice saying my Gas Supplier was responsible.

So I rang Scottish Power. They said a special team would contact me to arrange a site audit. 2 weeks later heard nothing - so I called Scottish Power who now told me they would never say that and that I should contact Fulcrum Connections. So I did - and they sent me another ridiculous form that seemed inappropriate.

So I called EnergyWatch and they told me National Grid were the people to speak to but lodged a complaint that I'd been given confusing info by my supplier.

My supplier rang up to say they'd try and help. A week later someone called and told me this time that Nat Grid were the only people to do it for my postcode (Answer No.3 from my Supplier) and that yes, they were expensive - in fact they had put their prices up 50% this year.

I couldn't believe that in this day and age a Gas Company still had a monopoly and were so clearly exploiting it. So I called Nat Grid and demanded to know if they had any competition. They said yes - and that Energy Watch should have told me.

So, back to Energy Watch. Ah yes, they say you need to go here: www.lloydsregister.co.uk > Utilities Register > Gas Register . And look up GIRS - all companies authorised to do this kind of work. But why didn't they tell me this in the first place or carry the info on their website?

So, I looked up suppliers for the South East and found dozens - only most didn't supply the South East and indeed most do not handle domestic supply. Contacted the only one who appeared to do so - Scotia - but they told me I had to go to National Grid for my postcode.

So here I am - facing an extra 1000 for my home renovation job at the hands of an effective monopoly that appears to be ruthlessly exploiting it.

What's more no one really seems to know what's going on. Nice job on deregulation!
# 13
Jemma-T
Old 20-06-2008, 6:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GideonS View Post
deregulation!
I pronounce that P-R-I-V-A-T-I-S-A-T-I-O-N. And if you look it up it'll say Tory Noun: Licence to print money.
# 14
jojo81
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

We have just been quoted 940 to move the meter outside. We said we only wanted it moved 2 metres (from the floor to the ceiling) as after we renovate its current position will mean it is in a doorway. The Transco man who came round refused to allow this (no good reason given). Instead, it has to go outside apparently, a good 8 meters away.

Surely the result of such inflated prices will be people paying cowboys to do it illegally?

We have found a way around it though - apparently if you switch gas suppliers they will do it as part of the deal. Equigas have offered to do it for 30 if we switch to them and it will take 28 days. 2 fingers up to Transco!
# 15
Premier
Old 05-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo81 View Post
We have just been quoted £940 to move the meter outside. We said we only wanted it moved 2 metres (from the floor to the ceiling) as after we renovate its current position will mean it is in a doorway. The Transco man who came round refused to allow this (no good reason given). Instead, it has to go outside apparently, a good 8 meters away.

Surely the result of such inflated prices will be people paying cowboys to do it illegally?

We have found a way around it though - apparently if you switch gas suppliers they will do it as part of the deal. Equigas have offered to do it for £30 if we switch to them and it will take 28 days. 2 fingers up to Transco!
As far as I know, if you are looking to move the meter 2m, the only people who can do that is National Grid (formally Transco), assuming you don't have an IGT. Movements of the meter within the confines of the flexible pipe are permitted by any appropriately registered Corgi engineer as I understand it, but that pipe is usually only about 1m long max.

If Equigas have agreed they'll do it for just £30, it'll still be the National Grid guys that do the work - perhaps Equigas are prepared to fund the difference, I don't know.

If NationalGrid said it wasn't allowed to have the meter located where you requested, I'm sure he'll say the same when Equigas is paying his bill.

With regards to cowboys doing the work, apart from the obvious safety hazard involved, the meter has to be legally inspected every 2 years and if the work appears to have been done in an unsafe manner or is missing the required security tags, expect lots of questions and/or an immediate shutdown of the supply until things are made legal and safe again. If, in the meantime, the house blows up, don't expect your insurance to cover you. A house experiencing a gas explosion doesn't normally just damage the one house either.

My understanding is that NationalGrid charge the same minimum price for all modification work requested by consumers (see post above by GideonS) - so the fact he wanted to move it 8m rather than the 2m you want would not have affected the price, just his cost incurred in doing the work.

Last edited by Premier; 05-07-2008 at 11:39 AM.
# 16
HexusOdy
Old 02-11-2009, 4:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lou View Post
I requested the pack from National Grid. The prices for moving the meter are as follows:

Band Alteration Length
1 0-2metres 460.60
2 >2-6 metres 581.63
3 >6-10metres 736.73
4 > 10-15 metres 905.93
5 > 15-20metres 1084.53

Disgusting isn't it?
Whats disgusting is that Band 1 is now 860. In 3 years its doubled in price.

I wanted them to move a meter from inside to outside with no additional pipework. Just exact same place outside. Gas fitter said if he was allowed it would cost 30 and be 20 mins work tops. National Grid say minimum 860 + VAT.
# 17
C_Mababejive
Old 15-09-2010, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexusOdy View Post
Whats disgusting is that Band 1 is now 860. In 3 years its doubled in price.

I wanted them to move a meter from inside to outside with no additional pipework. Just exact same place outside. Gas fitter said if he was allowed it would cost 30 and be 20 mins work tops. National Grid say minimum 860 + VAT.
30 sounds too cheap.

I know a man who can move meters...
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
# 18
Premier
Old 15-09-2010, 3:21 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Mababejive View Post
30 sounds too cheap.

Just catching up on 10 month old threads???
(actually 4 years old, but the last post was made 10 months ago)
"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
# 19
C_Mababejive
Old 15-09-2010, 3:48 PM

Yep..............
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
# 20
onepintcraig
Old 14-10-2010, 9:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Interesting reading all.

As a fledgling heating engineer; I will be endeavouring to facilitate such a move this coming November '10.

Yawl have given me a good start.

Will let you know how it bottoms out.

P.S. message to C_Mababejive: What do you mean when you say you 'know a man who can move meters' ?
Closed Thread