Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • icecoolbabe
    • By icecoolbabe 28th Dec 05, 1:56 PM
    • 1,321Posts
    • 703Thanks
    icecoolbabe
    Anyone use an electric egg boiler?
    • 28th Dec 05, 1:56 PM
    Anyone use an electric egg boiler? 28th Dec 05 at 1:56 PM
    Trying to do PERFECT soft boiled eggs on my electric hob is almost impossible and I'm tempted to get an electric egg boiler. I found one on the Amazon site which seems to have mixed reviews. The whole point of getting one would be to get the results I can't achieve the old fashioned way.

Does anyone have one? My perfct soft boiled egg is the sort that has the white set and the yolk runny.
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Page 2
    • pixie1
    • By pixie1 21st Feb 10, 12:38 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    pixie1
    Can some one explain to me how the pods work please? I brought these from lakeland and my eggs seem to take 40 mins to cook? Are they meant to float on top of the water or should i submerge them? Do i need to put a lid on the pan?

Im obviously doing something wrong and hubs and i love poached eggs so i would love to be able to cook these myself.

Any help would be great

With thanks

Pix
    Debt Free At Last!
  • looby-loo
    Poached eggs

Boil the water really fast, add about a tablespoon of vinegar. Turn down heat a little and stir the water so it swirls round. Gently break the egg into the centre. Let it set a little. Swirl again, this time avoiding the first egg, add second egg, let it set a little.
    Now push the spoon just under the eggs to ensure they are not stuck to the bottom of the pan.
    (toast should be on/buttered now)
    When they look just firm scoop out onto the toast with a slotted spoon so the water drains off.

Yes, the pan still makes the horrid scum.
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
    • elf06
    • By elf06 21st Feb 10, 7:04 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 15,138 Thanks
    elf06
    Can some one explain to me how the pods work please? I brought these from lakeland and my eggs seem to take 40 mins to cook? Are they meant to float on top of the water or should i submerge them? Do i need to put a lid on the pan?

Im obviously doing something wrong and hubs and i love poached eggs so i would love to be able to cook these myself.

Any help would be great

With thanks

Pix
    Originally posted by pixie1
    Mine took an age the first time I did them aswell but then I realised I was supposed to put a lid on. Thank you for doing the same it makes me feel better
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • morganlefay
    • By morganlefay 22nd Feb 10, 7:34 AM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 1,746 Thanks
    morganlefay
    I did that too and the eggs were horrible and took ages till a kind someone on here told me to put the lid on the pan. And also I think boiling eggs so they're just right is actually very difficult since it depends on how hot the water is when you put the egg in, how fresh they are, how big they actually are etc etc.....
  • anguk

Any help would be great

With thanks

Pix
    Originally posted by pixie1
    Grease the pods with a little butter or oil (I find rubbing some butter/marg round works best),
    crack egg into pod,
    bring about an inch or so of water to the boil,
    pop the pods in the water so they float,
    put the lid on the pan (very important) and turn down to a simmer.

I find that the eggs are cooked by the time I've made the toast.
  • anguk
    I did that too and the eggs were horrible and took ages till a kind someone on here told me to put the lid on the pan. And also I think boiling eggs so they're just right is actually very difficult since it depends on how hot the water is when you put the egg in, how fresh they are, how big they actually are etc etc.....
    Originally posted by morganlefay
    That's why I love my Egg Perfect, it doesn't matter how big the eggs are or how hot the water is they're always just right. Well worth the few pounds it cost.
    • Icey77
    • By Icey77 22nd Feb 10, 1:43 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 4,247 Thanks
    Icey77
    I'm with the egg boiler - always turns out perfect eggs (as long as I use medium eggs straight from the fridge).

I grew up in a house with an egg boiler (my mum can cook honest!!) and I simply followed. Before buying one I did try the standard way but had a mix of sloppy uncooked ones or hard boiled and got so fed up that I just bought the boiler. It's been going for 4 years (ish) so far and is going strong.

I will replace it if/when it dies!
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford

Got Married ~ 19th March 2011

DD Born 16th March 2012 DS Born 3rd May 2014
    • carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 22nd Feb 10, 2:24 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 3,453 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    I use egg coddlers for boiling eggs they take a little longer to cook but you can check how they're doing any time by lifting them out and unscrewing the lids to see if they're ready, if they're not just put the lids back on and lower back into the boiling water for a bit longer.Just make sure you butter them inside before you crack the eggs into them so they clean up easily afterwards.
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 22nd Feb 10, 2:30 PM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    I hate soft boiled eggs so my boiled eggs are always perfect lovely and hard. I also scramble them in the microwave or in a pan with a big knob of butter and some black pepper.

If you don`t want to spend money on a gadget try scrambling them a couple of times first as you might find that you prefer them. I sometimes throw in some cheese too which makes a nice change.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • Gothicfairy
    You guy's have no idea how glad I am to have read this thread.
    I have the egg pods ( they were given as a gift about a year ago and never used) I wanted poached eggs this morning and thought perfect time to try them.
    I hated the eggs , over cooked and yet still slimy.
    My bad though it turns out, I forgot to put the lid on.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 22nd Feb 10, 6:28 PM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,790 Thanks
    zippychick
    Hi Natty68

There is another thread about electric egg boilers, so I have added your thread to that to keep all the suggestions together.

Personally, it seems a bit of a waste of money and an extra gadget (sorry that doesn't read as very nice does it?!) but have a read from the start of the thread and see what others think too. I'm sure we can help you overcome your egg woes.

thanks
    Zippychick
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Jul 17, 10:30 AM
    • 15,502 Posts
    • 126,361 Thanks
    JackieO
    they look very swish but its just another gadget for the kitchen I have used my old egg pan for around 50 + years and it cost me 2/6d in Woolworths its only used for boiled eggs and has years of water marks on it but also with it come the memories of cooking boiled eggs and doing 'soldiers' of bread for my children when they were small (now 47 +49), and then my seven grandchildren there is something so comforting about dippy eggs and soldiers that even the most grown up person enjoys them.

My eldest DGS lives in Manhattan Michaelio, and I can remember cooking him them when he was a tiny boy 25 years ago . I can almost guarantee if and when he comes home on holiday he would quite happily sit down to some with toasted soldiers and butter in the old silver Humpty Dumpty egg cup that I still have in the kitchen
    Memories are precious things that are a reward to us 'old 'uns for a life time of cooking for our families I can't see me buying into a gadget now I shall stick to my water-stained egg pan and my memories of the thousands of breakfasts that I have cooked for my family over the years have a nice day honey

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 12th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    I got mine from Lakeland about 5 years ago, think it was £14.99, bought it as I love poached eggs and boiled eggs but just couldn't get it right.

one of the best things ive ever bought!!
    October grocery challenge - 186/200
    nsd oct = 4!
    nov grocery challenge - 42/200
    nsd nov = 6
    • MsLdn
    • By MsLdn 13th Jul 17, 5:44 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    MsLdn
    I used to have one - must have been about 20 years ago - and it was wonderful. Perfect solid white and runny yoke every time. In fact I think it might have been called the 'perfect egg boiler', come to think of it. These day I don't boil eggs, unless intending to hard boil. I poach them instead - seems to be more reliable.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,404Posts Today

8,433Users online

Martin's Twitter