Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crawley_girl
    • By crawley_girl 16th Jan 07, 11:16 PM
    • 1,996Posts
    • 3,151Thanks
    crawley_girl
    Coffee lumps
    • 16th Jan 07, 11:16 PM
    Coffee lumps 16th Jan 07 at 11:16 PM
    I keep my instant coffee in an airtight jar but when I opened the jar the other day, it had all lumped together in one massive.. well... lump!

I have tried breaking some coffee off to make a cup of coffee but it doesn't dissolve and I am left with floating chunks.

Why is this happening? What can I do to stop it?
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
Page 1
    • Churchmouse
    • By Churchmouse 16th Jan 07, 11:20 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 20,697 Thanks
    Churchmouse
    • 16th Jan 07, 11:20 PM
    • 16th Jan 07, 11:20 PM
    I've had this before I'm sure it's caused by moisture getting in. Sometimes I know the lid gets left off, other times I think it must be the seal goes ( I'm talking instant coffee in it's original jar here). Never found a way to remedy it:confused: Other than using boiling water and stirring like crazy!!!! ( even then, have resorted to binning it, but please don't tell anyone )
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 16th Jan 07, 11:30 PM
    • 113,645 Posts
    • 232,127 Thanks
    Quasar
    • 16th Jan 07, 11:30 PM
    • 16th Jan 07, 11:30 PM
    Oh it has happened to me too! What I did about it might sound like desperate OS, but I did try it anyway.

I just boiedl the water, pourrd some in the jar, left it for a few seconds until it had melted a bit of coffee then poured it into the cup/mug and added the rest of the water.

The rest of the coffee in the jar remained a lump which I dissolved little by little with each cup. It tasted just as good anyway.

After all, cellulite is just a packet of crisps that made it.
    • allIcouldwishfor
    • By allIcouldwishfor 17th Jan 07, 12:48 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    allIcouldwishfor
    • 17th Jan 07, 12:48 PM
    • 17th Jan 07, 12:48 PM
    I keep my instant coffee in an airtight jar but when I opened the jar the other day, it had all lumped together in one massive.. well... lump!

I have tried breaking some coffee off to make a cup of coffee but it doesn't dissolve and I am left with floating chunks.

Why is this happening? What can I do to stop it?
    by crawley_girl
    This used to happen to me when I kept my coffee in a brabantia canister - future proof, what a load of old knickers!!!

I have douwe egberts instant now which comes in quite decorative, but more importantly, AIRTIGHT jars that can be re-used when the coffee's gone.
    I like cooking with wine......sometimes I even put it in the food!
  • RibenaBerry
    • 17th Jan 07, 1:13 PM
    • 17th Jan 07, 1:13 PM
    Yup, water has got to it.

On a storage point, do you keep the coffee in a cupboard above the kettle? If there's a cupboard there, it gets quite a lot of steam, not the best place for storing coffee, etc. I had that problem a while back.
    • crawley_girl
    • By crawley_girl 17th Jan 07, 2:32 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 3,151 Thanks
    crawley_girl
    • 17th Jan 07, 2:32 PM
    • 17th Jan 07, 2:32 PM
    No I keep it on the side next inbetween the kettle and the hob. But the steam/ heat rises and I am sure it is airtight. Maybe I should swap the coffee jar for the tea-bag jar and see what happens.

CG
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • Jayar
    • 17th Jan 07, 3:40 PM
    • 17th Jan 07, 3:40 PM
    Remedy: Stop using instant coffee
    Ground coffee is much nicer and works out cheaper too - specially at Lidl
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
    • crawley_girl
    • By crawley_girl 17th Jan 07, 5:36 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 3,151 Thanks
    crawley_girl
    • 17th Jan 07, 5:36 PM
    • 17th Jan 07, 5:36 PM
    Remedy: Stop using instant coffee
    Ground coffee is much nicer and works out cheaper too - specially at Lidl
    by Jayar
    No Lidl's near me, plus I don't drink that much coffee anyhow and not overly keen on ground.
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 17th Jan 07, 11:40 PM
    • 13,030 Posts
    • 114,308 Thanks
    lil_me
    • 17th Jan 07, 11:40 PM
    • 17th Jan 07, 11:40 PM
    Always use a dry spoon, even a little damp will make it icky. I also put a piece of kitchen roll inside which absorbs any excess moisture (tip stolen from a friend who puts it over the top before putting lid on)
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    • Larumbelle
    • By Larumbelle 15th Nov 08, 1:44 PM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 10,578 Thanks
    Larumbelle
    How to soften coffee that's gone hard
    Sorry if this is already somewhere, I did do a search but couldn't find anything

My OH's instant coffee has gone hard. To be honest we don't use instant that often, but when he went to use it today it has gone hard. Is there any way to make it soft and powdery again? I can chip it off and use it, but I'd rather have a free-flowing powder again

If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful

• Pink.
    • By Pink. 15th Nov 08, 2:05 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi silvercharming,

There's an earlier thread with some ideas that may help so I've added your post to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
    • Larumbelle
    • By Larumbelle 15th Nov 08, 2:33 PM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 10,578 Thanks
    Larumbelle
    Wow, Pink, how do you do that? I couldn't find anything!

Looks like OH is going to have to chip away at his coffee... nevermind, I suspected that would be the case!

• Primrose
    • By Primrose 15th Nov 08, 3:31 PM
    • 7,886 Posts
    • 26,856 Thanks
    Primrose
    Do you have one of those stick blenders?
    If so, wrap your canister around with a teatowel to stop it slipping around in your hands and give the contents a good whizz with the stick blender.
    Alternatively, if there any way you can extract the solid block in one piece, you can bang it into pieces with a hammer and then put it into a food processor to grind up completely.
    I had these problem recently with a jar of Horlicks powder which was three quarters full and it was infuriating because I couldn't risk smashing the glass jar and getting shards of glass in the product.
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 15th Nov 08, 5:35 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 4,267 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    I've always found that the coffee tastes nasty if you chip bits off.

Agree with the comments regarding damp as above. Make sure you keep the open jar well away from steamy kettles etc and keep lid off for minimal time.
    This is one product which may be better bought in smaller quantities if you don't use it very often.

Oystercatcher
    • Larumbelle
    • By Larumbelle 15th Nov 08, 7:45 PM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 10,578 Thanks
    Larumbelle
    Thanks for your comments, I used the stick blender and it looks kind of back to normal, I may have been a little over-zealous though!

The problem was that OH had taken the coffee fishing with him a few weeks ago, I think. It's usually the only time it gets used. Personally I find instant coffee a bit nasty even when it hasn't solidified! I use 'proper' coffee, right now we're broke so it's a bit of a treat, but I keep it in the freezer to keep it fresh.

• Malcolm_E
    • By Malcolm_E 28th Nov 17, 8:05 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Malcolm_E
    A partial solution
    I put mine in a (strong) polythene bag and whacked it with a hammer (not so hard that it broke the bag).
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 29th Nov 17, 9:39 AM
    • 7,515 Posts
    • 4,911 Thanks
    Biggles
    Bloody hell! How did you come across a ten-year-old thread? And why?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

8,553Users online

Martin's Twitter