Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skiergirl
    • By Skiergirl 14th Nov 08, 5:05 PM
    • 994Posts
    • 9,072Thanks
    Skiergirl
    Making cards - Ideas for a card craft beginner (part 2)
    • 14th Nov 08, 5:05 PM
    Making cards - Ideas for a card craft beginner (part 2) 14th Nov 08 at 5:05 PM
    I was hoping someone on here could give me some advice. I'd like to try making cards but don't have any idea where to start. I've looked in a few craft shops and found the choice overwhelming.
    So.. am I best buying a kit to start with that has all the bits in, or if its better to buy the bits separately, what do I need ?
    Also.. is it worth buying any of the magazines ? I've seen a few but they're all sealed so its difficult to know if they're worth the money, and one is about £8 !
    Thanks for any help, sorry its a bit long.

*BOARD GUIDE INSERT - this thread is now a continuation of this original thread on making cards, it may be a good idea to look there first for advice*
    Last edited by savvy; 14-11-2008 at 5:51 PM.
Page 143
    • flourgirl
    • By flourgirl 18th Mar 09, 3:27 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 44,884 Thanks
    flourgirl
    Excellent news Melissa. Congratulations
    • CT19720
    • By CT19720 18th Mar 09, 4:07 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 15,299 Thanks
    CT19720
    Melissa, Well done on the scan - you certainly will have your work cut out with three boys - i've got two who can be a handful at times, and I often feel very outnumbered being the only girl.

Great card for the challenge Flourgirl - its really girly and pretty and you tears are so clean.

Here is the triangle box i've made for my mum on Sunday, just got to fill it with some goodies:

Hels you can see how I have done the punching in the first picture - it wasn't that bad to do honestly.
    Last edited by CT19720; 18-03-2009 at 4:42 PM.
  • s_michaels
    that looks lovely. I think it is time I invested in some patterned papers

*~* My life is a little mystery that I am still trying to solve*~*
    • sunrise27
    • By sunrise27 18th Mar 09, 4:26 PM
    • 1,288 Posts
    • 4,571 Thanks
    sunrise27
    Melissa, Well done on the scan - you certainly will have your work cut of with three boys - i've got two who can be a handful at times, and I often feel very outnumbered being the only girl.

Great card for the challenge Flourgirl - its really girly and pretty and you tears are so clean.

Here is the triangle box i've made for my mum on Sunday, just got to fill it with some goodies:

Hels you can see how I have done the punching in the first picture - it wasn't that bad to do honestly
    Originally posted by CT19720
    I'm loving that idea
    very clever
    • Skiergirl
    • By Skiergirl 18th Mar 09, 4:38 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 9,072 Thanks
    Skiergirl
    I'll have a proper read of everyone's comments in a bit - I'm in a bit of a rush now, just off to m-i-l's house. I just wanted to tell you all that I had my second scan this morning - everything's fine, and guess what - I am having another boy!!!!! I'm going to have my work cut out - 3 boys and an OH that acts like a big kid!!!
    Originally posted by melissa75
    Congratulations Melissa
  • furrypig
    I'll have a proper read of everyone's comments in a bit - I'm in a bit of a rush now, just off to m-i-l's house. I just wanted to tell you all that I had my second scan this morning - everything's fine, and guess what - I am having another boy!!!!! I'm going to have my work cut out - 3 boys and an OH that acts like a big kid!!!
    Originally posted by melissa75

Yeah it's a boy!!!
    Well actually it's a blue rabbit but it's a stereotype of blue and it's jumping up and down as it's exciting news!!!

Was thinking of you and glad the scan went well xxx
  • hels102
    Lovely cards as usual!
    CT19720 your triangle looks lovely, thanks for sharing, I may pluck up the courage later this evening and punch some holes!
    Melissa Congratulations on your news!!
    And thank you all so much for your kind comments on my triangle box, I picked up a necklace and earring set from Asda for £3.50 so I'll be popping that in for mum!
    x
    Looking forward to December
    • Marg
    • By Marg 18th Mar 09, 7:18 PM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 25,241 Thanks
    Marg
    Brilliant blogs!
    I've looked at them all. I'm very impressed and really scared now that I'm going to be left behind! I'll need a bit of time to work out how to do a blog of my own.
    Melissa75 - Congratulations - I have 3 brothers so, yes, you will have your hands full.
    Saveapenny - Could your toothache be neuralgia? Grim but feels like toothache.

Great cards - love the triangles and the rippedtearing card
    • sylphraven
    • By sylphraven 18th Mar 09, 7:34 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 3,840 Thanks
    sylphraven
    Just nipping into say GZ Melissa on another bonny boy
    You cant take a step forward with both feet on the ground
  • dragonllew
    Sorry not posted for a while haven't had time but have been reading and looking at all the great cards everyone has been making . Well I thought I'd join you all in blog land so have my very own blog here I have put my entry for this weeks challenge on there hope you like it.
  • dragonllew
    http://lil-miss-tree.blogspot.com/ I've joined the blog world to now!! Will try and figure out how to add all yours to mine now!

I've seen that some people's blogs are all decorative and funky, not just your typical template, where do you get these or make these?
    Originally posted by s_michaels
    I changed my background by going to this site http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/ and following the instructions was really easy hth
    • flourgirl
    • By flourgirl 18th Mar 09, 8:10 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 44,884 Thanks
    flourgirl
    CT 19720 I love that pyramid box it's so pretty

Hels love the paper you have used fro your pyramid box What a good idea putting jewellery in it.

Great Blogs everyone, I managed to open a google account and I'm following most of you, just need to check who I missed. Rainmac and Rusty do you have links to yours please?

Saveapenny sorry to hear your suffering with the toothache. My OH has had toothache on and off for the past year and his dentist cannot find anything wrong:confused: He has had allsorts of investigations. He is now thinking about asking to see someone else, as it's driving him mad. It's costing a fortune cos he has to pay everytime he goes and yet not getting it put right
  • cgcockcroft
    we went to a craft shop yesterday and the lady had some beautiful cards for sale
    they were very plain and simple and I loved the style
    I have used her inspiration to try something new but why is it my plain and simple card looks as though it has something missing ???
    Originally posted by sunrise27
    maybe a silver box around it?
  • cgcockcroft
    Hi Everyone,

I wondered if I could have some opinions on this card. Its for mothers day but I think its missing something but don't know what. Any suggestions welcome

Thank you
    PS the ribbon isn't stuck down yet so I can change that no problem, except its the only pink and white ribbon I have
    Originally posted by Skiergirl
    some gems in the bottom right corner, like 3 in a row?
    • sunrise27
    • By sunrise27 18th Mar 09, 8:44 PM
    • 1,288 Posts
    • 4,571 Thanks
    sunrise27
    maybe a silver box around it?
    Originally posted by cgcockcroft
    we're going to try and move the flowers and gems up a bit and put a thin piece of ribbon underneath them will post a photo when I've done it
  • melissa75
    CT19720 - lovely triangle box, I love those papers!!
    Dragonflew - thanks for the link, my blog really needs updating!!
    Thanks to you all for congratulations wishes - OH is over the moon - he wanted another boy, I'm just so happy that everything's okay!!
  • melissa75
    Right - I think I am following everyone's blogs now, I doubt that I'll have chance to read through them all tonight, but I'll try!!
    Flourgirl - beautiful card - i love your colours!!
    Hels - gorgeous triangle box too, a great idea for mother's day!!
  • Gemm85
    great news melissa, must be good to know what you're having so you can get things organized beforehand!

CT - that peachy coloured flower paper is lovely, where did you get it?

Does anyone who has made one of those triangle box cards have a link to a template or instructions by any chance?

I am loving everyones blogs have actually managed to make 2 cards this evening in between blog surfing will post pics sometime soon!
  • dragonllew
    Does anyone who has made one of those triangle box cards have a link to a template or instructions by any chance?
    Originally posted by Gemm85
    heres the link http://pinkpetticoat.blogspot.com/2008/11/chocolate-buttons.html that I followed someone else posted it a while back hth
  • Gemm85
    CT 19720 I love that pyramid box it's so pretty

Hels love the paper you have used fro your pyramid box What a good idea putting jewellery in it.

Great Blogs everyone, I managed to open a google account and I'm following most of you, just need to check who I missed. Rainmac and Rusty do you have links to yours please?

Saveapenny sorry to hear your suffering with the toothache. My OH has had toothache on and off for the past year and his dentist cannot find anything wrong:confused: He has had allsorts of investigations. He is now thinking about asking to see someone else, as it's driving him mad. It's costing a fortune cos he has to pay everytime he goes and yet not getting it put right
    Originally posted by flourgirl

flourgirl here's Rusty's and Rainmac's blogs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

2,000Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin