Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thistleboon
    • By thistleboon 13th Nov 08, 12:30 PM
    • 201Posts
    • 66Thanks
    thistleboon
    cheque not out of date for 6 years
    • 13th Nov 08, 12:30 PM
    cheque not out of date for 6 years 13th Nov 08 at 12:30 PM
    A cheque I had written dated January 2006, was presented and paid last week.
    I thought a cheque was valid for 6 months, but was informed by LLoyds TSB it is valid for 6 years.

If I had known I would have put a stop on it years ago.
Page 1
  • sutton111
    • 13th Nov 08, 1:13 PM
    • 13th Nov 08, 1:13 PM
    i thought it was 6 months as well.
    • JayZed
    • By JayZed 13th Nov 08, 1:20 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    JayZed
    • 13th Nov 08, 1:20 PM
    • 13th Nov 08, 1:20 PM
    From APACS:

Is it true that cheques are only valid for six months?

It is common banking practice to reject cheques that are over six months old to protect the payer, on the basis that payment may already have been made by some other means or the cheque may have been lost or stolen. However, this is at the discretion of individual banks. It should not be assumed that cheques in excess of six months old would automatically be rejected ó the only certain way to cancel a cheque is to request that a stop be placed on it (although cheques backed by a Cheque Guarantee Card cannot be stopped). It is recommended that, if possible, customers in possession of cheques that are over six months old obtain a replacement. A cheque remains legally valid for six years.
    • moneypooh
    • By moneypooh 13th Nov 08, 2:04 PM
    • 2,169 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    moneypooh
    • 13th Nov 08, 2:04 PM
    • 13th Nov 08, 2:04 PM
    Thanks !

Why is 6 years so special ?? Tax etc all have 6 year limits..
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 13th Nov 08, 5:44 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    MissPop
    • 13th Nov 08, 5:44 PM
    • 13th Nov 08, 5:44 PM
    It's such a pain when people cash cheques months (or years!) after they were written - someone did it to me, three months after I wrote it, and I wasn't expecting it, so I was left with an empty bank account for a fortnight!
  • Mikeyorks
    • 13th Nov 08, 7:48 PM
    • 13th Nov 08, 7:48 PM
    Thanks !

Why is 6 years so special ?? Tax etc all have 6 year limits..
    Originally posted by moneypooh
    The Limitation Act 1980 .... sets a period beyond which, if no contact, debts cannot be enforced / pursued. It applies to most, but not all debt, and equally provides a statutory period, as above, for the legal life of an o/s cheque.

But if a bank notices the date ... all will decline to accept it after 6 months. The TSB response is only because it wasn't spotted!
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
    • davey9998
    • By davey9998 14th Nov 08, 12:02 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    davey9998
    • 14th Nov 08, 12:02 PM
    • 14th Nov 08, 12:02 PM
    thanks for telling us - they must need the money now!
  • ShelfStacker
    • 14th Nov 08, 6:54 PM
    • 14th Nov 08, 6:54 PM
    The cashier should really reject anything 6 months old or older, but they aren't obliged to - they can (and usually do) quite easily leave it up to the mercy of the drawee's bank.

(I found this out the hard way at work... I usually check them all, and was swiftly told I don't need to...)
  • Scousebird
    • 14th Nov 08, 9:45 PM
    • 14th Nov 08, 9:45 PM
    6 years i'm afraid dears!!
    Loan-£3600 only 24 months of payments to go!!!
    All debt consolodated and cards destroyed!!
    As D'Ream would sing 'Things.....can only get better'!!!
  • danechip
    Wow, well i never knew that one !!

I thought for years it was 6 months....

From APACS:

Is it true that cheques are only valid for six months?

It is common banking practice to reject cheques that are over six months old to protect the payer, on the basis that payment may already have been made by some other means or the cheque may have been lost or stolen. However, this is at the discretion of individual banks. It should not be assumed that cheques in excess of six months old would automatically be rejected ó the only certain way to cancel a cheque is to request that a stop be placed on it (although cheques backed by a Cheque Guarantee Card cannot be stopped). It is recommended that, if possible, customers in possession of cheques that are over six months old obtain a replacement. A cheque remains legally valid for six years.
    Originally posted by JayZed
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 19th Nov 08, 12:12 AM
    • 5,178 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I have a cheque for £5 and a few pence from HMRC dated 2004. Will I be OK trying to pay this into my account or should I contact HMRC about it for a replacement? I too thought the limit was strictly 6 months.
    Lee's No More Takeaways Club No.1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

96Posts Today

2,386Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin