Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Ragtimeplayer
    • By Ragtimeplayer 12th Nov 08, 5:31 PM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    Ragtimeplayer
    • 12th Nov 08, 5:31 PM
    • 12th Nov 08, 5:31 PM
    I have just stumbled across this website that sells really cheap food...however some of it is out of date or short dates.

Hope this helps someone

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk

Tracy
    Originally posted by twise
    Why did I click that link lol, now I have loads of stuff on its way to me and I said I wouldn't spend anymore money
    Stopped smoking Jan 2007 after 23 years!

Cigarettes NOT smoked = 190,945
    Smoke free days = 9 Years
    Cash saved so far = £19745,11
  • FieryBlondeScot
    • 12th Nov 08, 5:35 PM
    • 12th Nov 08, 5:35 PM
    the pots noodes have a sell by date of july 08 and the uncles ben stir fry sauce is june 08 :confused:
  • onetomany
    • 12th Nov 08, 6:21 PM
    • 12th Nov 08, 6:21 PM
    cool i had a look does anyone else know of any more cash and carrys online?
  • lesley1960
    • 12th Nov 08, 6:40 PM
    • 12th Nov 08, 6:40 PM
    Is it legal to sell out of date food? , one of the problems with buying food stuff from a site like this is you will have no idea where this food has been , how it has travelled and how or where it has been stored
    • Swan
    • By Swan 12th Nov 08, 6:44 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    • 12th Nov 08, 6:44 PM
    • 12th Nov 08, 6:44 PM
    the pots noodes have a sell by date of july 08 and the uncles ben stir fry sauce is june 08 :confused:
    Originally posted by FieryBlondeScot
    they're not selling any foods with 'use by' dates, so there shouldn't be any problems with them being dangerous

I'm sure Pot Noodles are so full of chemicals they're probably indestructible! & jarred sauces will definitely be much the same to eat way past their 'best by'
    • milliemonster
    • By milliemonster 12th Nov 08, 6:45 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 6,192 Thanks
    milliemonster
    • 12th Nov 08, 6:45 PM
    • 12th Nov 08, 6:45 PM
    Is it legal to sell out of date food? , one of the problems with buying food stuff from a site like this is you will have no idea where this food has been , how it has travelled and how or where it has been stored
    Originally posted by lesley1960
    I don't think its illegal, the supermarkets sell OOD stuff all the time, what a great site though!!!
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • Missyy
    • 12th Nov 08, 6:50 PM
    • 12th Nov 08, 6:50 PM
    they have gingerbread syrup for £2 a bottle, i paid £6 for a small bottle from Strabucks last xmas so i could make gingerbread lattes, expiry date is 2010 - bargain!!
    2008 WINS £5150.00
    2009 WINS £900+ so far
    THIS WILL BE MINE IN 2009: ITV Cash Win, Gas Barbeque, Spa Break
  • Approved Food
    • 12th Nov 08, 6:51 PM
    Pots Noodles @ 8p each
    • 12th Nov 08, 6:51 PM
    The pot noodles at approved food may be out of date but the quality of the products are guarantied and after all they are a dried item.

Remember, best before dates relate to the optimum quality of a product and not to be confused with "Used by" dates that land you in all sorts of trouble if you sell them... e.g fresh fish, meat & eggs.

Actually when you think about it, if its 10 times cheaper than Tesco where they are 83p each and (when you can by a case) at approved food they work out just over 8p each it speaks for its self.
  • lesley1960
    just seen this description
    400g cream of chicken soup with a ring pull top.
    Old Country is a re-branding company who relables products. This soup has come to us in ASDA trays and we are assuming that is where it is from originally.

• chardanna
    My postcode is BH1, from below would you say I'm rate 1, dont want to order & get it wrong!

National Rate 1 - Most of the UK is covered by the National Rate 1 delivery zone. (coloured green on the map below) It includes the postcodes listed in the tables below in purple or green. if your postcode is listed, please select national rate 1. Delivery to these regions is £4.95 per 25kg.
    If you are within a purple zone but your postcode is not listedthen select national rate 2

<DIV><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt">
    AL (all)<SPAN lang=EN-GB>
    Jan 2009 Wins: case of wine £40, Wall.E 2 Disk DVD £12! Tropic Thunder DVD £12!!
    • Ruth_honey
    • By Ruth_honey 12th Nov 08, 7:32 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Ruth_honey
    they have gingerbread syrup for £2 a bottle, i paid £6 for a small bottle from Strabucks last xmas so i could make gingerbread lattes, expiry date is 2010 - bargain!!
    Originally posted by Missyy
    Yum! I had a gingerbread latte earlier. Got a bottle of syrup in Starbucks after christmas. Think it was 1/2 price and I've still not finished it. Whittards now do gingerbread syrup I've noticed. £3.50 a bottle.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 12th Nov 08, 7:35 PM
    • 18,388 Posts
    • 194,852 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Fantastic site - just spent a few pound on that to trial it! I do not believe in use by dates - I believe in common sense!!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • katskorner
    • By katskorner 12th Nov 08, 7:39 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 3,447 Thanks
    katskorner
    Looks pretty good - trying to work out where the delivery weight thresholds are! Don't really want to pay £9.90 for delivery!
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    • Maysie
    • By Maysie 12th Nov 08, 7:59 PM
    • 2,343 Posts
    • 3,792 Thanks
    Maysie
    i have not tried gingerbread latte but it sounds divine!
    • zenseeker
    • By zenseeker 12th Nov 08, 8:05 PM
    • 4,235 Posts
    • 30,150 Thanks
    zenseeker
    It is perfectly legal to sell food that is past it's best before date because it is still edible, it's just that the item won't be quite as fresh. The only things that need to be consumed before the date on the packet is anything with a "Use by.." or "Sell by...".

This is actually a good money saving tip, don't be too quick in throwing out that food that has gone past it's "Best Before"...keep it and it should still be fine for weeks, sometimes even months past that date. All you need to do then is to taste a bit, sniff it, have a sensible look at it and make a judgment call at the time as to whether you think it is still fine to eat...9 times out of 10 it will be.
    • katskorner
    • By katskorner 12th Nov 08, 8:15 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 3,447 Thanks
    katskorner
    We had some chick peas that were tinned last week and the date on the tin was best before 2005 - tasted fine!
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
  • chocolate.orange
    I just had to spend some money too

Well it would of been silly not to
    furrypig says:my name is Choccy and I am addicted to nose free stamps as I want to save them all and give them noses!!!
    About me. Im Choccy or Chocolate orange depending on where i am.Yes occasionally i am a total looon who spends too long online,but no where near as much £ as her spendy elves do ..
    • Loonytoons
    • By Loonytoons 12th Nov 08, 9:05 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Loonytoons
    My postcode is BH1, from below would you say I'm rate 1, dont want to order & get it wrong!

National Rate 1 - Most of the UK is covered by the National Rate 1 delivery zone. (coloured green on the map below) It includes the postcodes listed in the tables below in purple or green. if your postcode is listed, please select national rate 1. Delivery to these regions is £4.95 per 25kg.
    If you are within a purple zone but your postcode is not listedthen select national rate 2

<DIV><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt">
    AL (all)<SPAN lang=EN-GB>
    Originally posted by chardanna
    BH1 isn't listed so i'm guessing you're national rate 2, HTH
    • moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 12th Nov 08, 9:22 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 3,210 Thanks
    moneysaver12
    Yum! I had a gingerbread latte earlier. Got a bottle of syrup in Starbucks after christmas. Think it was 1/2 price and I've still not finished it. Whittards now do gingerbread syrup I've noticed. £3.50 a bottle.
    Originally posted by Ruth_honey

How do you make gingerbread latte please, sound very yummy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,774Posts Today

7,550Users online

Martin's Twitter