IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Coal prices
Views: 40,628
# 1
RHYSDAD
Old 11-11-2008, 3:40 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Coal prices

I know, i know. Burning coal is a big no-no today in this environmentally friendly world we now live so at the risk of incurring some wrath, i'd like to know how much coal is per 50kg? I Live in Kent.. The best prices i found so far are 55.50 for 3cwt (50kg) delivered! Bloody expensive isn't it? Is that the going rate now?:confused:
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
A. Badger
Old 11-11-2008, 5:11 PM

It had better not have gone up to 55 for 50kg! I bought mine at the summer prices (only a small discount) and paid 12.15 for 50kg! I was warned it was going up after, but not by that much (also in Kent, by the way).

An online check suggests CPL is charging 16.75 for standard housecoal, so whoever is trying to charge you 55 needs locking up!
The Following User Says Thank You to A. Badger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Cardew
Old 11-11-2008, 5:25 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I think the OP said 55.50 for 3cwt (i.e. a cwt = 55kg so 3 x 55kg)
The Following User Says Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
dooby
Old 11-11-2008, 7:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Mines just gone up from 15.50 for a 50kg bag to 18 a bag.

We're using approx a bag a week plus wood but we scavenge the wood.
The Following User Says Thank You to dooby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
A. Badger
Old 11-11-2008, 8:57 PM

That'll teach me to read and post when I'm not wearing my glasses! Mind you, even re-reading the post, I'm confused by what he's saying.

Either way 18.50 per 50kg bag (and he does mention 50kg, so I assume he means that size bag, as it's what open sacks contain these days) is excessive. That CPL price is online (website easy to find via Google) and includes delivery, but a local coal merchant should be able to beat it.
# 6
RHYSDAD
Old 12-11-2008, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Badger View Post
That'll teach me to read and post when I'm not wearing my glasses! Mind you, even re-reading the post, I'm confused by what he's saying.

Either way 18.50 per 50kg bag (and he does mention 50kg, so I assume he means that size bag, as it's what open sacks contain these days) is excessive. That CPL price is online (website easy to find via Google) and includes delivery, but a local coal merchant should be able to beat it.
Sorry, my post wasn't clear at all. Yes i mean 55.50 for 150kg delivered or 3cwt. Typo, i forgot the 1!!!

Thanks for the replies!!
# 7
A. Badger
Old 12-11-2008, 8:00 PM

Ah! Glad we sorted that out. It's certainly worth Googling (or using yell.com) to find a few local coal merchants and seeing if they can better that price. Good luck!
# 8
mrsgemini
Old 14-11-2008, 8:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

We are paying 12 per bag for smokeless briquettes here in the N.E.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrsgemini For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Snow Dog
Old 14-11-2008, 9:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

6.00 per 25kg bag (thats buying 1 metric ton, 40 bags, and then sharing it out amongst relatives who also burn coal).

Thats in East Dorset.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Dog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
mardatha
Old 14-11-2008, 9:55 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

15.50 for smokeless eggs here.
The Following User Says Thank You to mardatha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Triggles
Old 17-11-2008, 1:08 PM

Oh help - this is completely new to me. DH & I moved into this property this summer- it has gas central heating, but the living room is always quite chilly. We have an open fireplace which we were hoping we could use to help keep the living room warmer. There is a iron grate thing (yes, my technical terms) that I understand we can use to put either coal or wood in. So... here's the stupid questions:
- which is less expensive?
- are we allowed to burn either? (laws being what they are)
- how do you know where to get the stuff to burn - wood/coal - and how to know what you're getting is a good price?
- can we use the smokeless fuels in it that we saw at B&Q ? is that economical?
- where in heaven's name do you store yours if you use it?? (we have toddlers in the house and obviously don't want them trying to eat coal)

any opinions, suggestions, and such would be appreciated.
MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
DFW Long haul supporters No 210
Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Triggles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
A. Badger
Old 18-11-2008, 2:37 PM

The very first thing you must do is make sure the fireplace and chimney are safe to use. This, fortunately, is easily done. Look in your Yellow Pages and find a local chimney sweep. He will make sure the chimney is clean and sound. If you're lucky and find a friendly one, he will also take you through the basics of fire lighting.

The next thing to do is make sure you have the right equipment. As you have young children, you will need a properly secured fireguard, which you can buy from a local ironmonger or hardware shop or, if need be, a Homebase or B&Q. Children and fire are a bad combination, so always make sure the fire is properly guarded and never leave them alone in a room with a fire.

Now you need the basic equipment - a shovel to put the coal on, a brush to sweep the hearth, a poker to stir the fire, a coal scuttle to hold the coal and something to empty the hot ashes into for disposal. Again, you need an ironmonger, though you can also get these things from the major DIY stores.

Once you've assembled all this (it's not as bad as it seems!) and your chimney is safe, it's time to get cracking on the fire.

Call your local council and ask environmental services whether you are in a 'smoke control area' (though the sweep will have known and been able to tell you). If you are, you can only use smokeless solid fuel. If you aren't, you can use wood or ordinary housecoal.

Wood is an option but unless you have ready access and somewhere to store it, I'd stick with soild fuel - at least to start with.

Coal or smokeless fuel are best bought from a local coal merchant, because garages, DIY stores etc tend to be overpriced. To start with, you can buy a sack or two and store the fuel outside (keep the rain off it). Later, if you decide you want a fire regularly, you might want to buy a coal bunker and have it delivered loose, but sacks are ok to start with.

Lighting a fire is quite simple, but a bit of a knack. Everyone has their own method, but the basic way is to scrunch up newspaper into the grate, add a few sticks of kindling wood (you can buy this in all sorts of places) and add a few, small, pieces of coal. Light the paper and as the wood catches, then the coal, you can start adding further pieces of coal until you get the size of fire you want.

Hey Presto! You're back in the 19th cenury - and it's a much more comforting place to be!

Hope that helps. If you need any more advice, please ask - I'm bound to have forgotten something..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A. Badger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Johnny68
Old 19-11-2008, 9:45 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

House Coal here gone up from 8.25 to 9.50 a month a go and just rang and now 12 for small low grade house coal and the best house coal is now 14 up from 12.50 last month and I think 10.50 last year!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny68 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Frugaldom
Old 27-11-2008, 11:12 PM

Just paid 52.50 delivered (5 x 10.50) to fill a 5cwt coal bunker and I live in southwest Scotland. Also, if it helps, I found an offer for seasoned fire logs at http://www.logsuppliers.co.uk/ They are offering free delivery, reduced price and free bags of kindling with certain orders until Tuesday.
I reserve the right NOT to spend:
The less I spend, the more I can afford!
Frugal Living Rocks!
# 15
SEE
Old 01-12-2008, 9:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

West Mids and quoting from bills in front of me from this year

June 12.85
July 12.85
August 13.85
September 17.00

Its still on 17 for 50kg, but coal man has said it will go up again. CPL are charging 20 At this rate it will compare to gas and electric. I'm really worried about people on low incomes this year. I think we are going to see a lot of deaths due to cold.

How much is unemployment benefit, 55 a week? How the hell are they going to eat and stay warm, unemployment is rising. Strike action should be called, have the British lost their backbones?
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Halifax, taking the Xtra since 1853:rolleyes:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
# 16
SEE
Old 01-12-2008, 10:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've never tried these, but they work out at 12 for 50kg

Sadly, the 48 delivery charge kills it for me.

http://eco-logs.co.uk/buy%20now.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SEE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
milner57
Old 02-12-2008, 6:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi See, what fuel is that price for
# 18
SEE
Old 02-12-2008, 6:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by milner57 View Post
Hi See, what fuel is that price for
The prices I quoted are for cheap smokeless coal. Its cheap because its a mixture of different coals, or should I say used to be cheap. It sometimes goes by the name of 'Multi Heat'
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
# 19
Dawni
Old 05-12-2008, 5:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The price of coal is outrageous and if it doesn't come down soon we've decided to stick with oil which at present we only use as a back-up. We pay 16 here in Coleraine (N Ireland) delivered and at present use 2 bags per week. And we still need to use our oil occasionally too.

Our coal has been of inferior quality recently, which doesn't help. And it isn't just my husbad and myself who have to pay this. My mother is 90 years of age and lives alone; she has no other sources of heating than coal (well, she has an electric fire but doesn't want sky-high electricity bills so doesn't use it much). I know the government is giving pensioners a higher fuel payment this year, but I can't understand why the price of coal hasn't come down now that the price of oil has fallen. We were told it had to go up because of transport costs, so how come it hasn't come down now?:confused:
# 20
A. Badger
Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 PM

Interesting comment, Dawni. I'm burning coal and also using oil-fired central heating. Mostly, I use use coal in the evening and let the CH tick over for the rest of the day, keeping the chill off.

Just today, I realised how quickly I'm getting through coal and began to wonder if, since the latest rises, it might to be better to make more use of oil - especially since oil has come down in price.

I've said here before that I'm quite convinced the price rise for coal was entirely opportunistic - the handful of large companies that control UK coal supplies saw an opportunity to raise the price, to match oil and gas price rises, and did so. Like you, I wonder if it will come down again, but I'm not holding my breath.