IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cats Protection neutering vouchers?
Closed Thread
Views: 26,728
# 1
UKTigerlily
Old 10-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Cats Protection neutering vouchers?

Hi all, a friend of mine has two kittens both females & about 6 months old, so time for neutering! She's been quoted about 200 to get both kittens done which she can't afford right now :rolleyes: I know CP do vouchers to help with the cost, does anyone know about these? She's a Student so not working but lives with her Dad who is. Would that mean she's not eligible. And pls no 'She shoulda thought of that' posts cause I so agree! But I don't want her to wait till they come into season or not get it done so said i'd ask! TIA for any help!
# 2
moggylover
Old 10-11-2008, 1:27 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi, these vouchers are usually reserved for people on income support or very low incomes, but if you get in touch with CPL or Blue Cross they will discuss this with you.

BTW - 200 sounds an awful lot for the operations alone, I should tell her to check around a bit more before she uses that particular sugery - or question what else they are intending to do for that 200! The current RSPCA estimate that the average cost is between 30 and 50 - and I think any vet charging much more than that would be seriously undermining the efforts made by charities to encourage people to get their animals neutered.

The CPL do vouchers, the Blue Cross and RSPCA both have assisted cost surgeries in some areas, and if you google it then there are other charities that may be able to help, but not sure of your area so you will have to take a look at that yourself.

Good luck
"there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
(Herman Melville)
The Following User Says Thank You to moggylover For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
wolfehouse
Old 10-11-2008, 7:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

my daughter got a voucher as a student from cats protection
she only had to pay 20 for neutering.
http://www.cats.org.uk/workwedo/neutering_financial.asp
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolfehouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Kimberley
Old 10-11-2008, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKTigerlily View Post
Hi all, a friend of mine has two kittens both females & about 6 months old, so time for neutering! She's been quoted about 200 to get both kittens done which she can't afford right now :rolleyes: I know CP do vouchers to help with the cost, does anyone know about these? She's a Student so not working but lives with her Dad who is. Would that mean she's not eligible. And pls no 'She shoulda thought of that' posts cause I so agree! But I don't want her to wait till they come into season or not get it done so said i'd ask! TIA for any help!
The vouchers are meant for the most needy, if she can afford it she should really pay for it herself. I would never have bought my kittens if I couldn't afford to neuture them, I could never take money from a charity like that. What would she to do if they needed veterinary treatment? I hope she has insurance
Australia 2016
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimberley For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
foreign correspondent
Old 10-11-2008, 10:39 AM

As she is a student I hope the CPL will be able to help her - As for 'taking money from a charity like that' - the vouchers are there to help animals of people who cant afford neutering to get it done - of which the OPs friend is clearly one.

As far as I know they do not make any distinction between the 'deserving' and 'undeserving' poor, although they may specify particular benefits for elegibility - ringing them is the only way to find out really!

ETA - looking at the link posted by wolfehouse it looks as if they will indeed help her, and untimately help her cats, which is great!

http://www.cats.org.uk/workwedo/neutering_financial.asp

Last edited by foreign correspondent; 10-11-2008 at 10:42 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foreign correspondent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Kimberley
Old 10-11-2008, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign correspondent View Post
As for 'taking money from a charity like that' - the vouchers are there to help animals of people who cant afford neutering to get it done - of which the OPs friend is clearly one.
Pardon? Can't afford neuturing? What 50 per cat? If she cannot afford that how is she supposed to feed them, de flea them, worm them, insure them, afford vet bills etc????

Sorry but my mum was on IS once but she still paid for her own cats to be neutured. I can get vouchers but I still paid for neuturing myself.
Australia 2016
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimberley For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
spankymonkey
Old 10-11-2008, 2:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i have just recently been sent a voucher from cpl. this if for 20.... when i asked my local vet how much neutering is for a tom cat they said 26 so there fore i have 6 to pay!
spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
lost so far 11.5 lbs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spankymonkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
MrsTinks
Old 10-11-2008, 2:55 PM

It costs more to have a female spayed than a male neutered... Prices vary from area to area and from vet to vet...
Definitely shop around for a better price but yes you COULD end up paying up to I'd say 75 easily per cat... If you're lucky it could be 50 or under.
Do I think students should get free spays? Not really... sorry. She's not on IS or any benefit so as far as I am concerned then she knew the potential cost of taking on the animals and her low income is by choice not by unfortunate circumstance.
On the other hand - I'd rather she had the cats spayed than not because otherwise the next time we hear about these kitties it'll be "2 female cats - now 16 kittens - help what do I do!"... However - do encourage her to get them insured because she won't qualify for any assistance for medical care for them should they get ill or have an accident... What if one got hit by a car? One of mine did and it came to about 1500... which thankfully the insurance covered... Could she find 1500 if she doesn't insure them?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrsTinks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Milford_Cubicle
Old 10-11-2008, 6:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I do think 100 per kitten is steep - I've been quoted around 100 for my pup and she'll be fully grown, 30kg + by then!

Shop around, certainly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milford_Cubicle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
windra
Old 10-11-2008, 9:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The RSPCA neuter cats for a donation of 20, they collect and drop them off too.
Its available to everyone, i had my cat(female) done a few months ago and they were really good. They send a trained cat handler to pick them up.

It stops them getting even more strays, you should check your local RSPCA website.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to windra For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Kaz2904
Old 10-11-2008, 9:59 PM

Any chance you could post a link to the info please as I can't find it on the RSPCA website?
They do have a section which says it should cost between 30-50 per pet.
Better start saving my pennies!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaz2904 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
UKTigerlily
Old 10-11-2008, 11:03 PM

Hi all, thanks for all the help, i'll pass it on to her. Her Brother called for the quote, she thinks it might include microchipping but will find out herself. Both cats are vaccinated & insured & she had the money for this but had to go to America in an emergency & didn't know they'd maybe come into season now, she wasn't planning to let them out till they're done but it was me who said they might come in season & will be a nightmare & loud etc etc so blame me all! lol she's not seen a cat in season only a dog so doesn't know the joys!
# 13
Notsosharp
Old 10-11-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberley View Post
The vouchers are meant for the most needy, if she can afford it she should really pay for it herself. I would never have bought my kittens if I couldn't afford to neuture them, I could never take money from a charity like that.
I could be wrong but I think the CPL would prefer for her to have the cats neutered at their expense rather than having the even larger expense of re-homing any of the resultant kittens if they are not done.....Its not really taking money from a charity if one the reasons they give the vouchers in the first place is to prevent unwanted litters of kittens, some of which they may end up re-homing. It probably SAVES them money in the long run.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Notsosharp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
windra
Old 11-11-2008, 10:14 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Here is the link to the Nottingham RSPCA, you would have to google for your local rspca site.

http://www.rspcanottingham.co.uk/neutchip.php
The Following User Says Thank You to windra For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Kimberley
Old 11-11-2008, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsosharp View Post
I could be wrong but I think the CPL would prefer for her to have the cats neutered at their expense rather than having the even larger expense of re-homing any of the resultant kittens if they are not done.....Its not really taking money from a charity if one the reasons they give the vouchers in the first place is to prevent unwanted litters of kittens, some of which they may end up re-homing. It probably SAVES them money in the long run.
Hmm I guess so but it does make me angry when people take on pets without thinking about the costs and rely on others to pay for them.
Australia 2016
# 16
UKTigerlily
Old 11-11-2008, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Hmm I guess so but it does make me angry when people take on pets without thinking about the costs and rely on others to pay for them.
Sorry but who exactly has done that? My friend had the money for neutering etc but unfortunately her b-f died in America & she had to go to his funeral which cost quite alot in flights & accommodation etc. It was ME not HER that suggested asking about vouchers because she didn't realise they'd be as they are when in season, she's only seen a dog in heat & not had the joys of a cat, she was gonna wait & resave & do them in a few months, keeping them in in the meantime.

Sorry to get mad but she's been thru enough & I feel as though she's getting criticised when she's done the right thing for them & circumstances have changed her plans, plus it was me who said get them done asap & that decided to try to find ways to help before they're in heat. Normally I agree, if people (Like my Stepsister) get pets with no thought to it but these have had alot of thought go into them even before they became available.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UKTigerlily For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
UKTigerlily
Old 11-11-2008, 4:20 PM

Sorry Kimberley I was out of order above, I realise you're trying to help. I shouldnta got upset x
# 18
MrsTinks
Old 11-11-2008, 5:26 PM

Tigerlilly I appreciate that your friend has had a hard time, but we can only respond to the information given. All we knew was that she didn't have the money to pay and wanted help. The it emerged she "had" to travel to the US for an "emergency" which unfortunately on here often doesn't REALLY mean emergency... As you didn't elaborate we assumed that like 99% of cases this was more a case of "want" than really emergency "need".
If you read back over the advice given maybe that gives a new view on the replies
I am truly sorry for the times she's been through, I'd say if she can't afford to pay the spays now (after shopping round for prices) then maybe you or her dad could lend her the money to have them done? Or the vet might be willing to do a payment plan with her... if you don't ask...
I know at 6 months my little girl became a little hudini so she was in the vets for her op the second they would accept her More to the point I got fed up with having 5 male cats yowling outside my house and fighting because she obviously "interested" them Her brother thankfully couldn't have cared less... He still prefers a big cuddle from his mum although he was done soon after his sister
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsTinks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
UKTigerlily
Old 11-11-2008, 5:38 PM

ogod I forgot about the male cats hanging about, don't think i'll warn her of that yet! I'm waiting for her to come online cause she was gonna ring round other Vets for quotes & a few numbers I gave her today, i'm not sure if her Dad can help her but imagine not, I have suggested asking for installments though so hopefully her Vet willl let her do that. It's ok about responses, only one upset me but I should expect it & I just snapped for which i'm sorry, I just don't like it when people decide on situations without all the facts but like you say I didn't post them all at once. I think if it's closer to 100 for both than the 200 her Bro said that'll help lol I was suprised as I thought I paid about 35 when I lived in Devon for my females, even though my friend is in Hertdordshire 200 for them seemed alot lol

I'm hoping she'll have got a few quotes from local Vets & asked about payment plans & some will say yes. If it's more like what I paid 35ish per cat it's not so bad, her Dad could maybe help with that I dunno.
The Following User Says Thank You to UKTigerlily For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
moggylover
Old 12-11-2008, 2:16 AM

Quote:
The vouchers are meant for the most needy, if she can afford it she should really pay for it herself. I would never have bought my kittens if I couldn't afford to neuture them, I could never take money from a charity like that. What would she to do if they needed veterinary treatment? I hope she has insurance

That is not an attitude that ANY of the animal charities would approve of or condone! Many times we are more than happy to assist people on low incomes in having a pet (that is, after all, what the schemes are for) and the fact that one does not have much money does not preclude one from being a decent and caring pet owner: just as having money does not necessarily make people suitable as pet owners.
"there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
(Herman Melville)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moggylover For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread