Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > DVLA Date of Liability (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
DVLA Date of Liability
Closed Thread
Views: 5,894
# 1
snapper23
Old 07-11-2008, 5:39 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default DVLA Date of Liability

Hi
Not sure if other thread is still alive so I thought best to restart it
Just seen a motorcycle for sale - looked great : not insured or taxed, so i said i'd think about it.
Noted the reg, came home, visited the dvla vehicle check and the Date of Liability was shown as September 1992 - what exactly does this mean - If i bought the bike would i have to pay all the back road tax etc
regards
# 2
Moon_Boi
Old 07-11-2008, 12:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper23 View Post
Hi
Just seen a motorcycle for sale - looked great : not insured or taxed, so i said i'd think about it.
Noted the reg, came home, visited the dvla vehicle check and the Date of Liability was shown as September 1992 - what exactly does this mean - If i bought the bike would i have to pay all the back road tax etc
regards

Vehicle enquiries

If you contact us by telephone, you will be greeted by our interactive voice system. Staffed telephone enquiry hours: 8:00 am - 8:30 pm Monday to Friday and 8:00 am - 5.30 pm on Saturday. Outside these times you normally will be able to listen to a variety of messages covering the most commonly asked question on driver and vehicle licensing and vehicle registration
Telephone: 0870 240 0010
# 3
Conor
Old 07-11-2008, 1:10 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper23 View Post
Hi
regards
It means that was when the bike was registered for road use and liable for road tax. It doesn't mean you owe that back tax Is it around J reg by any chance?
Buy it, insure it and tax it from the beginning of the month you intend using it on the road. Enjoy!
# 4
flutterbyuk25
Old 07-11-2008, 7:22 PM

You only become liable for the vehicle from the day you acquire it, not for anything in the past.

Is it an old bike? Sounds like it has been off road for many years and would be exempt from SORN currently as SORN only came into force in 1998.

x
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like, but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.

285 268
# 5
derrick
Old 08-11-2008, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Boi View Post
Vehicle enquiries

If you contact us by telephone, you will be greeted by our interactive voice system. Staffed telephone enquiry hours: 8:00 am - 8:30 pm Monday to Friday and 8:00 am - 5.30 pm on Saturday. Outside these times you normally will be able to listen to a variety of messages covering the most commonly asked question on driver and vehicle licensing and vehicle registration
Telephone: 0870 240 0010
Don't use rip off 0870 number, use this one that puts you through to a 3 option menu, 01792 782341 ; -
Option 1 Driving Licence enquiries
Option 2 Vehicle enquiries
Hold for anything else.
Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

The Following User Says Thank You to derrick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
scbk
Old 08-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
It means that was when the bike was registered for road use and liable for road tax.
The date of liability is when the tax/sorn runs out
Closed Thread