Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > Any jobs that dont require a CRB check (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Any jobs that dont require a CRB check
Closed Thread
Views: 17,893
# 1
arista12
Old 05-11-2008, 1:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Any jobs that dont require a CRB check

I would be grateful if anyone can provide answers to the following questions-

Do most office jobs require a CRB check? (not including banks that apparently do)

Do most jobs with major retailers require a CRB check?

I don't want a job involving working with kids/vulnerable adults etc.

I am asking as I have the chance of redundancy (I've been in same job for 20+ yrs) and would like to take it. I have a police caution for an offence (doesnt involve dishonesty) that I have checked and been told it would definitely show up on a CRB.

I have never told my wife about the offence and really dont want to. I have read if a CRB is done a copy is sent to home address & so there is a good chance she would see it.

I appreciate I would have to lie on my application and risk being sacked if I was found out.
# 2
LADY_A
Old 05-11-2008, 1:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hi, can only say from my experience, i have applied for a job that required a enhanced crb and on the application is ask's do you have any convictions cautions etc,
i felt it is better to be honest and put in cautioned before i was 18.
they appreciated my honesty and i knew and they knew what would show up on my crb when it comes through.
a caution is not like a conviction, as its just a warning so i would be honest personally and then its no shock to employers etc when it does come up and you are then seen as a liar.
# 3
kellyw8800
Old 05-11-2008, 1:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I agree with LADY_A, my FIL has spent convictions but when he changed jobs (last August) he wa told he would need a CRB, not thinking he blurted out his list (not very long but still) and asked where he would stand. They thanked him for being honest and bringing to their attention straight away, asked him if all were 'spent'(yes) and how long since his last one (14 years). He told then he had grown up and put that life behind him. He got the job and has since progressed within the company. It best to be honest and at least that way you know where you stand and whether your wasting your time. You never know one persons judgement from the other so go for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kellyw8800 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
arista12
Old 05-11-2008, 1:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I appreciate comments and that it may not stop me getting a job but my main concern is my wife finding out... I've been out of the jobs market a long time and I'm trying to gauge how often a CRB is asked for (in cases that dont involve jobs with children or vulnerable adults).
# 5
Conor
Old 05-11-2008, 4:18 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The only time I've ever had a CRB check is for a night trunking job for a parcel company. Even then, it wasn't an in depth one.
# 6
ceebeeby
Old 05-11-2008, 4:26 PM

I suspect any job that involves handling largeish quantities of cash or stock, people's account information, being responsible for people (in any way) would require CRB.

Does your CRB come to your home a/d - mine went to work-place??

Just tell your wife - if you've been married that long, she'll wallop you with a frying pan, and then surely make you a cuppa? Doesn't sound like a major big deal?
# 7
Bean Counter
Old 05-11-2008, 4:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As an accountant and been in quite a few different jobs over the years, I have never had a CRB done.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life
The Following User Says Thank You to Bean Counter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Idiophreak
Old 05-11-2008, 4:52 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebeeby View Post
Just tell your wife - if you've been married that long, she'll wallop you with a frying pan, and then surely make you a cuppa? Doesn't sound like a major big deal?
Of course, it may not just be the caution the OP may be worried about - but what he was doing when he got it.

Personally, I'd tell her anyway - it will be a load off your mind.
# 9
SuziQ
Old 05-11-2008, 5:26 PM

Agreed-you shouldn't have a secret like this from your wife. If she loves you she will appreciate your honesty for telling her and will hopefully understand your reasons for not telling her.

My marriage broke up in April this year and one of the major factors was the many lies my husband had told me. They were mainly about money but had escalated so that he was even lying to me about silly things. I wasn't even angry about the financial disaster facing us,it was his dishonesty-and thae fact he continued to lie to me even after I found out. Marriage should be based on total honety and this is the best oppurtunity to clear the air.
Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
gingerdad
Old 05-11-2008, 5:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebeeby View Post
I suspect any job that involves handling largeish quantities of cash or stock, people's account information, being responsible for people (in any way) would require CRB.

Does your CRB come to your home a/d - mine went to work-place??

"If you are going to work as a paid employee or as a volunteer for an organisation and your work will bring you into contact with children or vulnerable adults, you may be asked to apply for a CRB check. For example, if you are to work as a teacher, care worker, scout & guide leader, registered childminder, sports coach, youth club worker, foster carer or adoptive parent."

From the CRB website, you should need a crb to work in a shop or any of the other things you put down.

I would also question the need for a CRB for the night trunking person as well. i know a lot of orginastions seem to do CRB checks that are not with in the rules.

GD
The futures bright the future is Ginger
# 11
whitewing
Old 05-11-2008, 5:45 PM

I've never had a CRB check as part of the various office jobs I had.

Like the others though, I am intrigued that you are so adamant that your wife must not find out. And that you never told her in the first place. Why didn't you actually tell her earlier?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
# 12
rosysparkle
Old 05-11-2008, 5:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've had three CRB checks done recently (an enhanced one as I am a karate instructor, one for a temp job with the fire service, and one for my current temp job with a charity). None of these have come to my home address.

I haven't had CRB checks for a retail job nor for a temp job with an accountancy practice.

If you are not going to tell your wife (which is your business, but lies do have a habit of coming to light eventually), then you need to find out if in fact the CRB check will come to your home address.

On the CRB website www.crb.gov.uk it says
Quote:
If you are worried or concerned about what may be, or has been, revealed by your CRB check you can talk in confidence to the Nacro helpline. Nacro is a crime reduction charity that works with ex-offenders and is able to answer specific queries on good practice in relation to employment and offenders. (T: 0800 0181 259 or Email helpline@nacro.org.uk).
So they may be able to advise you on the best way to proceed.
The Following User Says Thank You to rosysparkle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
whitewing
Old 05-11-2008, 5:49 PM

Forgot to say that CRB checks that we HAVE had done (myself, DH and MIL) for various groups we belong too have ALWAYS had copies sent to home addresses, or enquiry letters if more info were needed.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
# 14
gingerdad
Old 05-11-2008, 5:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Forgot to say that CRB checks that we HAVE had done (myself, DH and MIL) for various groups we belong too have ALWAYS had copies sent to home addresses, or enquiry letters if more info were needed.

for the various crb's i've had done i have always had a copy sent to my home....
The futures bright the future is Ginger
# 15
Idiophreak
Old 05-11-2008, 6:18 PM

I've had a couple of jobs retail and a couple in IT (both with fairly sensitive data, thinking about it) and have never seen a CRB check - could I have missed it being done?
# 16
grastgirl
Old 05-11-2008, 7:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

When I had my CRB done a copy was sent to me (in fact I've still got it although it's out of date).

I suspect CRBs are asked for more often than is really necessary, but if you want an idea what jobs ask for them do a braod search on the job centre website, they normally state in the details if a disclosure is necessary.
# 17
Savvy_Sue
Old 06-11-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiophreak View Post
I've had a couple of jobs retail and a couple in IT (both with fairly sensitive data, thinking about it) and have never seen a CRB check - could I have missed it being done?
Hardly, there's a form to fill in, and you have to produce ID and proof of address, and someone has to check your documentation against what's on the form, and it all has to be done very precisely in black ink, and you mustn't do anything wrong or it all gets sent back again ...

If a job requires a CRB then it may say so in the advert, certainly should say in any further information sent to you.

I've only had them for working / volunteering with children / vulnerable adults. An employer has to have a reason for getting them done, can't just get them done to check up on people IYSWIM.

NACRO are good. but who did you check with to be told your caution would definitely show up on a CRB? AFAIK, cautions would only show up on an ENHANCED check, but NACRO would know for sure.

Of course you need something to help you sleep you can always look it up on the CRB website itself.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
Closed Thread