IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
End Of Orange Contract
Closed Thread
Views: 54,690
# 1
J3OEF
Old 31-10-2008, 10:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default End Of Orange Contract

my orange contract is up on the 18th november, so as i see it, thats the end of my 18 month contract. I emailed them to ask what would happen come the 18th, they said i would need to give 30 days notice? now why would i need to give 30 days notice as my contract is going to be up? im not leaving, well i am when my "contract" finishes but not before.

does anyone know what happens or what i need to do? cheers
# 2
fsrandom
Old 31-10-2008, 11:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you want too cancel your contract they require 30 days notice, it's in your T's and C's :].

Too answer your question tho, nothing happens, it goes into a rolling contract untill you decide too either upgrade or leave.
# 3
J3OEF
Old 31-10-2008, 11:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

so come the 18th november... if i want to cancel, i do so but must continue with them for another 30 days meanging another 30 days service / bill
# 4
TREVORCOLMAN
Old 01-11-2008, 4:18 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When you contact them to give them notice then the 30 days starts.
I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
# 5
fiish
Old 01-11-2008, 8:07 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The quickest way to cancel if you want out is to get a PAC and use it. Obtaining the PAC serves as your 30 days' notice and as long as you use it after your minimum term is up there should be nothing extra to pay.

If you want to stay with Orange I recommend at least changing to one of their SIM only deals once ytou enter your upgrade period (which you already have) since that works out a lot cheaper for you if you don't want or need a new phone.
# 6
Tigert
Old 01-11-2008, 8:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If your contract is up on the 18th Nov and you wish you wish to cancel it, then you have to give 30 days notice. Therefore to cancel it dead on the 18th you would have needed to give notice on the 18th October.
LBM : March 2008
Debt Free Date : 25th July 2012
DMP Mutual Support Thread: #170
Long Haul Supporters Thread : #115
The Following User Says Thank You to Tigert For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
J3OEF
Old 20-11-2008, 9:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ive given my notice and they sent a letter saying i will be disconnected on the 6th november, even though it says it ends on the 18th. I am still not disconnected though :s
# 8
lrr
Old 20-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Orange is a shambles! A few months ago I was at end of contract and they wanted me to pay the last bill but I refused cause they had charged me for the following months line rental. They wanted me to pay it and they would refund the difference minus the calls. Told them no way, would pay my calls over the phone, cancelled direct debit and that would be it or so I thought. They sent me debt letters and further bills! After lots of calls finally sorted out.

CHECK YOUR LAST BILL TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT OVERPAYING THEM!
# 9
J3OEF
Old 20-11-2008, 10:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

if it ends on the 18th november, should i be paying them this month or is this months bill on the 24th for december? if so then they are conning me
# 10
diamonds
Old 20-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

call 150 request PAC, even if you dont want the number PAC to payg on anothr network this closes account and only then an accurate final bill arrives
# 11
Quentin
Old 20-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Your contract will end after your notice is up.

Till then they keep billing you for full months rental.

This usually means that you end up overpaying as your contract ends during the course of a billing month.

If you have no out of bundle charges, then you will end up with a final bill showing a credit for the unused rental in your last month.

Once that arrives, you need to ask them to refund you the credit, as they don't seem to do this automatically.
# 12
rarvind
Old 30-10-2010, 12:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

ORANGE SCAM FOR CONTRACT ENDING CUSTOMERS - There are a number of problems I have faced with Orange but here I want to make people aware of how they are being potentially scammed by this company.

They keep your money when you end your contract - I have recently ended my contract with Orange and came across this cleverly designed money making scheme. They ask for 1 months notice to end the contract (which is understandable to some extent) but they will not let you put in the notice unless you call exactly on the day which is 1 month before your contract expiry date (you'll see the reason as you read on - it is quite clever). If the customer ends up even one day later than the exact date then they end up in the next months (after contract end) billing cycle and apparently Orange cannot help it!!. This basically means that your contract services will end a day or more (depending on when you give the notice) later than your contract expiry date but you will still have to be charged for the whole month (after your contract and services have ended). The balance after using your deducting your extra days past contract expiry is then "supposed" to be refunded a month after your contract end. On calling Orange and investigating further it did slip out from a customer service agents tongue that you will be refunded the amount "if you give us a call to do so" !!!
Now there are two ways you will lose (or automatically donate to Orange) one months worth of money:
1. You know what is happening but still forget to call them.
2. You don't notice this because the billing cycle is very clever. Orange bill you one month in advance for your contract usage. So what you see in your monthly bill at the end of the month is actually not what you have used last month but the contract price for the next month (plus extras used last month). Over the contract period they get you used to thinking that your bill is for what you used last month whereas it is for the coming month. At the end of your contract they give you a bill which you think is ok because it must be for what you used and it matches your regular use, so all looks fine and you don't query anything - BUT NO - the amount is for one month after you stop getting your services after contract end and you won't get it back if you don't chase them.
If you say this to Orange they will say - oh no the customer does get automatically credited - but beware I am waiting for a £50 "automatic" credit on an upfront payment for a phone I had returned and after numerous calls and about two months I am still waiting to see my money.
So get active , read the details in your bill and don't let them scam you.
# 13
brown1989
Old 27-02-2011, 4:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

oh great my contract with orange ends in june and i cant wait for it to end. But if thats what it takes to cancel your contract am not gunna b very happy and thanx rarvind for that info.

p.s do you have to give you phone back after your contact is up?
# 14
nellytheelephant
Old 27-02-2011, 4:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You just need to give them 30 days notice, or get your PAC code - you can get your PAC code 30 days before the contract end, if you use it in between getting it and the contract end date you won't get a refund on the rest of the line rental for that month but it's probably the easiest way.

You don't need to return the phone.
# 15
Parva
Old 28-02-2011, 4:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown1989 View Post
oh great my contract with orange ends in june and i cant wait for it to end. But if thats what it takes to cancel your contract am not gunna b very happy and thanx rarvind for that info.

p.s do you have to give you phone back after your contact is up?
Ignore first time posters that are either angry customers or work for other networks.

That aside, phone Orange 1 month before your contract expires and tell them that you wish to terminate the contract. You'll likely get put through to another department (retentions) as they don't want to lose customers and you will be offered alsorts, just say NO!

Ultimately, you will always get a better deal even with the same network by going to places like CPW (or one of its many online variants). There are many other shops too, I'm not advocating that CPW is the best place to go but do some web shopping and find the right deal for you. Invariably you will beat anything that the retention department of any network can offer you.

And finally no, the phone is yours to keep. When you sign a contract you are signing up for the airtime / text messages / internet limits, the phone is yours from day 1 to keep / sell / do as you wish with.

EDIT: And WTF is it with numpties posting first time ever dredging posts up that are +2 years older or more.

Last edited by Parva; 28-02-2011 at 5:03 AM.
# 16
rees1970
Old 28-02-2011, 4:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Orange mobile phone contract problems

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on a problem I only found out about today. I had an Orange mobile a few years ago, rang to cancel the contract giving a months notice etc, they then started sending me monthly bills still trying to charge me. I ignored the letters as I had ended my contract and didn't owe them anything, but now today after receiving my Credit report I have a defaulted payment with them for £266. Not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be great thanx
# 17
Rusty!
Old 28-02-2011, 4:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Ignoring bills is never a smart plan, even if you think you don't owe them.

Did you get any proof from Orange that your contract was cancelled?
# 18
Parva
Old 28-02-2011, 5:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rees1970 View Post
I ignored the letters as I had ended my contract and didn't owe them anything, but now today after receiving my Credit report I have a defaulted payment with them for £266.
Exactly as Rusty said, ignoring bills regardless of whether you feel you do or don't owe them will only end in tears and I would be amazed if anyone with half a brain didn't realise that.
# 19
rees1970
Old 28-02-2011, 10:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Yes ok points well made. What I meant by ignoring the letters was not paying them. I did ring them twice and they told me that the contract was cancelled but they never did send me any proof.
# 20
Parva
Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rees1970 View Post
Yes ok points well made. What I meant by ignoring the letters was not paying them. I did ring them twice and they told me that the contract was cancelled but they never did send me any proof.
That's what's known as up the creek without a paddle I'm afraid.
Closed Thread