Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    noreen88
    Transax debt - do they bounce cheques I'm paying in?
    • 27th Oct 08, 7:03 PM
    Transax debt - do they bounce cheques I'm paying in? 27th Oct 08 at 7:03 PM
    Hi,

2 or 3 months ago I had 4 cheques for 100 bounce. I was charged 114 in bank charges. The company then tried 3 days later to cash them again, and I was charged 114 in charges again. When I noticed I phoned the company to pay by card, but it was too late though as they had forwarded the cheques to transax.

So I started phoning Transax everyday to pay by card, but they hadn't received the cheques yet so I couldn't pay. At this point I was in a good financial situation and wanted to get it sorted ASAP. After about two weeks I noticed on internet banking that the cheques were due to be cashed on Monday (this was a Sunday), so I phoned the bank (RBS) and asked what I could do to get the money in on time. They told me that as long as I brought the cash into the branch by 2pm on Monday I could get them to clear the cheques. So the next day I went in at about 11am and put in more than the amount of the cheques and explained what it was for. The next day I find that the cheques have bounced and I've been charged another 114. So I phone the bank and they apologise and say the charges will be refunded. Great. I phone Transax and explain what happened and they tell me I'll be charged 40 per cheque. No good!

So anyway, Transax try again to take the money out and I don't have it in the account. Another 114 charge. This is causing me some distress as I wish it could just have been sorted the first time. The bank has now charged me over 450 in charges for 400 worth of cheques which still haven't been resolved. After this (I'm a student) I had to pay my rent, and didn't have enough money in the account to pay off the cheques. I've then had Transax on the phone for about 3 weeks now everyday. I've spoken to the representative a couple of times and he says the charges have been waived, but I still don't have the money to pay it off. What am I best to do here? My rent is due again in a few days and I just have enough to cover it. I am now way over my overdraft with my bank, and still have this to pay. I questioned the bank about a loan but it was a no go due to my credit rating. (Being a student and with all of this it's not surprising).

Also, I tried to claim more than the one lot of 114 bank charges back, but to no success? I find it ridiculous the bank has scammed me for this much and still not cashed the cheques (all of the cheques were on a 100 guarantee card).

My other question is, last Monday I went to cash a premium bond cheque to another bank. Today I noticed it hadn't shown up in my bank after being due to clear on Friday. I phoned the telephone banking and the representative said there was no record of it. I paid it in at the same time I paid cash in. Is this Transax blocking the cheque?

What's my best line here?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,828Posts Today

8,042Users online

Martin's Twitter