Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrs lds
    • By mrs lds 27th Oct 08, 3:33 PM
    • 3,341Posts
    • 16,983Thanks
    mrs lds
    0 WOW
    cancelling tv licence
    • 27th Oct 08, 3:33 PM
    0 WOW
    cancelling tv licence 27th Oct 08 at 3:33 PM
    please can someone direct me to where I can cancel my TV licence. After the Brand Ross fiasco I do not want to contribute to anymore wages for these2 morons.
Page 1
  • torikate
    • 27th Oct 08, 3:38 PM
    • 27th Oct 08, 3:38 PM
    You can phone them and tell them you want to cancel it. Also do it through your bank if you pay by dd. Just make sure you only do this if you are actually not going to own a tv anymore as they will do checks and you could end up with a nasty fine. Hth.
    Tori x
    Total Debt start June 09 11,083.03
    Current debt 1,200
    To dare is to do....COYS

• superscaper
    • By superscaper 27th Oct 08, 3:50 PM
    • 12,626 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    superscaper
    • 27th Oct 08, 3:50 PM
    You can phone them and tell them you want to cancel it. Also do it through your bank if you pay by dd. Just make sure you only do this if you are actually not going to own a tv anymore as they will do checks and you could end up with a nasty fine. Hth.
    Tori x
    Originally posted by torikate
    Owning a TV has got nothing to do with needing a TV license. The TV license is for watching or recording broadcast TV in the UK. Simply having a TV or using it for other things doesn't require you to have a license.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • greyteam1959
    My advice would be to do the cancellation in writing sent by recorded mail and keep all copies of any letters you send and receive.
    You will be hounded by the TV Licensing for ever and a day if you do not do this sort of thing properly
    • superscaper
    • By superscaper 27th Oct 08, 3:55 PM
    • 12,626 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    superscaper
    • 27th Oct 08, 3:55 PM
    • 27th Oct 08, 3:55 PM
    My advice would be to do the cancellation in writing sent by recorded mail and keep all copies of any letters you send and receive.
    You will be hounded by the TV Licensing for ever and a day if you do not do this sort of thing properly
    Originally posted by mervyn11
    Personal experience says you could end up being hounded even if doing things properly. Happened to me and all I did was cancel (through TVLA directly) and move back with my parents who already had a license.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
    • mrs lds
    • By mrs lds 27th Oct 08, 6:44 PM
    • 3,341 Posts
    • 16,983 Thanks
    mrs lds
    • 27th Oct 08, 6:44 PM
    • 27th Oct 08, 6:44 PM
    excuse my ignorance but do you only need a licence if you watch bbc or am i wrong
    • likabu
    • By likabu 27th Oct 08, 6:47 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    likabu
    • 27th Oct 08, 6:47 PM
    • 27th Oct 08, 6:47 PM
    You need a tv licence if you watch tv regardless of whether you watch BBC or not.

Lisa
    Brassic!
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 27th Oct 08, 6:49 PM
    • 20,661 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 27th Oct 08, 6:49 PM
    • 27th Oct 08, 6:49 PM
    excuse my ignorance but do you only need a licence if you watch bbc or am i wrong
    Originally posted by mrs lds
    I'm afraid you need to have a licence to watch or record from the television.

Owning a TV has got nothing to do with needing a TV license. The TV license is for watching or recording broadcast TV in the UK. Simply having a TV or using it for other things doesn't require you to have a license.
    by superscraper
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • myrnahaz
    • By myrnahaz 27th Oct 08, 9:20 PM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    myrnahaz
    • 27th Oct 08, 9:20 PM
    • 27th Oct 08, 9:20 PM
    You also need a TV license if you use a radio.
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 27th Oct 08, 9:32 PM
    • 7,765 Posts
    • 5,866 Thanks
    Andy L
    You also need a TV license if you use a radio.
    Originally posted by myrnahaz
    no you don't (assuming that's all you use)
    • ShaunJUK
    • By ShaunJUK 27th Oct 08, 9:35 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    ShaunJUK
    You need a license if you own any items of equipment that can be used to recieve a broadcast, they are in the process of trying to include computers since the launch of online streaming. That is regardless of whether you use it for that or not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/01/iplayer_does_not_require_a_tv_1.html
    • geordie joe
    • By geordie joe 27th Oct 08, 9:55 PM
    • 8,409 Posts
    • 8,454 Thanks
    geordie joe
    You need a license if you own any items of equipment that can be used to recieve a broadcast,
    Originally posted by ShaunJUK
    I was under the impression that you only needed a license if you USED the equipment to view or record "live" TV broadcasts.

Do I need a TV Licence?

You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.
    • ShaunJUK
    • By ShaunJUK 27th Oct 08, 9:58 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    ShaunJUK
    I was under the impression that you only needed a license if you USED the equipment to view or record "live" TV broadcasts.

Do I need a TV Licence?

You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.
    Originally posted by geordie joe
    Yes but isnt it down to you to prove you dont as apposed to them having to prove you do?
    • geordie joe
    • By geordie joe 27th Oct 08, 10:22 PM
    • 8,409 Posts
    • 8,454 Thanks
    geordie joe
    Yes but isnt it down to you to prove you dont as apposed to them having to prove you do?
    Originally posted by ShaunJUK
    I doubt it, I'm sure I read somewhere that you are assumed to be innocent until proven guilty.

In other words, if they say you are/were watching TV THEY HAVE TO PROVE IT.
  • nifflespink
    You will most likely get a a whole load of post if your property doesn't have a licence. When I moved into mine, I had a huuuuuge backlog of letters from them telling me to get a licence or else - some of them dated six months before my flat was even built!! As soon as my address was registered with Royal Mail the letters started, before the foundations were even in place. Just letting you know!
  • tinkerbell84
    please can someone direct me to where I can cancel my TV licence. After the Brand Ross fiasco I do not want to contribute to anymore wages for these2 morons.
    Originally posted by mrs lds
    Is that all your tv licence pays for then?! :confused:
    • Scampy
    • By Scampy 28th Oct 08, 6:45 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Scampy
    What fiasco have I missed out on?
    • geordie joe
    • By geordie joe 28th Oct 08, 6:48 PM
    • 8,409 Posts
    • 8,454 Thanks
    geordie joe
    What fiasco have I missed out on?
    Originally posted by Scampy
    This one

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7695951.stm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,719Posts Today

5,952Users online

Martin's Twitter