IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Bi Polar & Dla
Closed Thread
Views: 7,791
# 21
tracie15472
Old 27-08-2010, 10:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i havent contradicted myself if you read back! i wrote vries varies varies as i do! i do not tell lies neither! what have i to lie about! not here to argue but to help people get help their entitled to!noone has right to judge some1 til u,ve walked in their shoes! i get what im entitled to by filling in form honestly! im sure others are entitled to more help than what they get but because of way they fill out form they dont get help they need!
# 22
ash4becks
Old 27-08-2010, 10:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Mababejive View Post
Could you get DLA for bipolar if you were working full time..?
yes if you have care or mobity needs
# 23
ash4becks
Old 27-08-2010, 10:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracie15472 View Post
i havent contradicted myself if you read back! i wrote vries varies varies as i do! i do not tell lies neither! what have i to lie about! not here to argue but to help people get help their entitled to!noone has right to judge some1 til u,ve walked in their shoes! i get what im entitled to by filling in form honestly! im sure others are entitled to more help than what they get but because of way they fill out form they dont get help they need!
i was suppected of having bi-polar GP still thinks it but will not re-assess me yet to soon so they say, but one of my best mates has bi-polar and she is very all over the place , moods are like a yo-yo , up at all hours for days , its not a easy thing to cope with i no becsue as a friend its me phoned at 3am when she wants to cut herself etc , i get higher rate care on my depression alone, mental health issues arent easy plese stop the bashing it just makes things that bit harder
The Following User Says Thank You to ash4becks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
tracie15472
Old 27-08-2010, 10:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

ty ash 4 becks! 1st day on here and ive took a bashing! yes ur rigth mental health is a tricky subject and evry1 differs depending on so many aspects of thier past and present circumstances.im not a fraud but my condition varies so much tht all i can write on my dla form is varies,varies varies! ty 4 ur understanding and support! ive been called a liar a fraud by people who do not evn know me or what my family an children go through because of my condition/illness!

Last edited by tracie15472; 27-08-2010 at 10:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tracie15472 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
Indie Kid
Old 27-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
ty ash 4 becks! 1st day on here and ive took a bashing! yes ur rigth mental health is a tricky subject and evry1 differs depending on so many aspects of thier past and present circumstances.im not a fraud but my condition varies so much tht all i can write on my dla form is varies,varies varies! ty 4 ur understanding and support!
Many of us on here (myself included) have mental health issues too and do understand that conditions do vary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Indie Kid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
C_Mababejive
Old 27-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash4becks View Post
yes if you have care or mobity needs
I'm just wondering how i could demonstrate any care/mobility needs if i manage to work full time?
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
# 27
xXMessedUpXx
Old 27-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1305 View Post
Many of us on here (myself included) have mental health issues too and do understand that conditions do vary.
Ditto. I have good days and (very) bad days but they do take this into consideration. On my DLA award letter it states that they recognise my condition (depression and BPD) fluctuates.

edit: not sure about the work element but i know it IS possible to claim whilst working
"Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
weight lost: 14lbs
# 28
tracie15472
Old 27-08-2010, 10:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

you can work and receive dla! on my award letter it mentions nothing about my fluctuations but say sim aarded high rate care to prevent danger to myself and others around me,so it seems tht my writing varies makes no difference!
# 29
onefortheroad
Old 27-08-2010, 10:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
i was diagnosed as bipolar 2 and receive high rate care and low rate mobility. its how you fill the form tht counts.fill it in as if you was on a bad day.another factor is i have a 1 and 2 yr old so need help to keep them safe aswel as myself. although diagnosed with bi-polar 2 i feel im on borderline as have rapid cycling and feel tht evry few yrs i have severe manic episodes which is likely to be bi-polar 1.its what you write tht counts not what the docs says!in my form i wrote varies,varies varies as to time and amount of help i need!

i all so have bi-polar i only have 1 or 2 good days a week and that what i put down on my form and i ve had many diagnosed over the last 16 years and have try to go back to work 3 times over last 2 years but it never work out

Last edited by onefortheroad; 27-08-2010 at 10:51 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onefortheroad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
ash4becks
Old 27-08-2010, 11:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
I'm just wondering how i could demonstrate any care/mobility needs if i manage to work full time?
iam classed as risk to others under moblity
supervision outdoors under care
not taking care of myslef / cooking care again
help with meds care
help at night making sure i dont cause dangour to myslef or others etc
thats just a few of my list was 3 pgs long
# 31
Indie Kid
Old 27-08-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Because many people can work full-time; but their disability means they may not be able to cook a meal or they need supervision outside.
# 32
Indie Kid
Old 28-08-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcollobcat10 View Post
Hello tracie,

About 10 years ago I was applying for IIDB and I telephoned the Benefits Agency. I was told by the lady on the telephone to apply for DLA as she thought I would be eligible. She also told me to fill in the form as though it was a bad day, this was a long time ago. I do not think it is fraud as dmg24 and sh are saying. They want to know your worst day but you do not want to say that every single day is doom and gloom, at least I didn't because I was trying to stay positive so I told them that some days were better but still not ok or normal.
By doing it on your worst day, you're saying you need more help than you do. Sorry, but I think it's disgusting when people do forms on their worst days, yet some of us (like myself) do the forms properly and have to appeal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indie Kid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
dane-katie
Old 28-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have bipolar and i get HRC and LRM

Is a Bipolar bear

# 34
Indie Kid
Old 28-08-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcollobcat10 View Post
????????????????????????:rotf l:
Sorry? You think mental health problems are funny or something?
# 35
tracie15472
Old 28-08-2010, 6:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1305 View Post
why u calling me a fraud then for writing varies varies varies.im only telling the truth! ur lying if u say u have 2 good days then u might have only 1 or even 7 good days.this illness is unpredictable and the forms are not designed for people with mental health issues as they expect u to know amount of days etc u need help etc.so by writing varies im telling truth more than u are.
# 36
tracie15472
Old 28-08-2010, 6:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg24 View Post
Yes, I receive DLA for it. However, I filled out the forms honestly, describing both my bad and better days, and stating how often each type of day happens.

If you are not committing fraud, then you will have no problem calling the DLA Team on Tuesday and explain to them how you completed the form. They will send you a new form which you can complete honestly.
it must be nice to be able to say HONESTLY how often each type of day happens.as far as im concerned and many othere people on here im unable to state how often each type of day happens.not sure if ur aware but if u google bipolar u will see tht their are many different variants of it. ie some people are stable for long periods of time and othres like myself suffer labile moods and cycle rapidly many times a day,so would thk u to retract ur statements calling me a liar and a fraud as these are uncalled for and this is not a site for arguing on its a site designed to help people!
# 37
GlasweJen
Old 28-08-2010, 8:26 PM

I have an illness that varies (not mental health), I used to keep a diary of my condition which I would refer to while doing DLA forms, i'd also enclose relevent pages with the application. This meant that I didn't commit fraud as I was able to say things like "over the last 3 months I have lost conciousness on average 4 times per week, on my worst day I had 9 episodes of unconciousness, on good days I will not experience any unconcious episodes at all though most days (5 days per week) I experience dizzy spells".

Lots of advice places advise keeping a diary in this manner prior to filling out DLA applications.
Food in ma belly and a licence for ma telly an nothin's gonna bring me down.

February Grocery Challenge £80/£80
March Grocery Challenge £69.33/£90
# 38
GlasweJen
Old 28-08-2010, 8:27 PM

And filling in a form with only your worst days is fraud, you should have read the information book that came with the form prior to filling it in, I'm pretty sure it says this in there.
Food in ma belly and a licence for ma telly an nothin's gonna bring me down.

February Grocery Challenge £80/£80
March Grocery Challenge £69.33/£90
The Following User Says Thank You to GlasweJen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
Indie Kid
Old 28-08-2010, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasweJen View Post
I have an illness that varies (not mental health), I used to keep a diary of my condition which I would refer to while doing DLA forms, i'd also enclose relevent pages with the application. This meant that I didn't commit fraud as I was able to say things like "over the last 3 months I have lost conciousness on average 4 times per week, on my worst day I had 9 episodes of unconciousness, on good days I will not experience any unconcious episodes at all though most days (5 days per week) I experience dizzy spells".

Lots of advice places advise keeping a diary in this manner prior to filling out DLA applications.
I have an unpredictable condition and asked someone how I approach this with DLA. They said that they did what you did - they said (I think they did it over a year) that they kept a diary and said how often this and that happened.

Quote:
why u calling me a fraud
where did I say that? You're the one saying that your form was filled in on a bad day.
# 40
skipsmum
Old 28-08-2010, 9:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi OP,
I have bipolar. I get low rate care DLA. When I am very poorly I stay in hospital so cant claim, when I am well, like at the moment, I can function pretty well but I am disorganised and quite haphazard. I haven't cooked a successful meal in over a year, and struggle to keep appointments (missed DSs college enrolment yesterday because I was sure it was at 3.20....it was 9.50!) I havecarer help with shopping and meal planning and DH does most of the cooking.
To whoever asked about working with bipolar, I have been told Im unemployable at the moment as I can be unpredicatable and have spent such a lot of time in hospital. However I have met bipolar people who hold down full time jobs and families - I doubt at that point there would be many care or mobility needs. Im going to college 2 days a week from september and I have a support package with several hours mentoring and help with organisation but I doubt there would be any jobs that provide this type of support.

Have looked at first post and it was 2008....why ressurect such an old thread?
With Sparkles! And Shiny Things!

Last edited by skipsmum; 28-08-2010 at 9:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to skipsmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread