IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
Main Site Forum Register Community Today's Posts Forum Search
or Login with Facebook
Cleaning out central heating system
Closed Thread
Views: 54,983
# 1
andrew-b
Old 24-10-2008, 1:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Cleaning out central heating system

Last edited by andrew-b; 09-11-2011 at 11:34 PM.
# 2
latecomer
Old 24-10-2008, 1:30 PM

We did something similar to what you are suggesting with removing the radiators and flashing them with a hose. It took a long time to do and of course you have all the effort of taking them all off and then reconnecting and ensuring there are no leaks.

I was given a rough estimate of about 400 for a powerflush but that wasn't guaranteed until they'd had a look. For us it was worth the effort to save the money but we will be replacing out boiler at some point in the next year and getting all new rads and pipework.
The Following User Says Thank You to latecomer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
EliteHeat
Old 24-10-2008, 2:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

How can you manage to get a Magnaclean for 10?

Taking the radiators out and flushing them with a garden hose will undoubtedly help. Whilst you are doing this, whack them with a rubber mallet as this should loosen up a bit more crud.

When re-instating, use Sentinel X800 – this is much faster acting than most products and will effectively clean your system in a day.

Installing the Magnaclean is an excellent idea. This together with a proprietary inhibitor will ensure that you system gets progressively cleaner. The one weak point of a Magnaclean is the isolating valves, they are both awkward to use and not too reliable. After a few failures I have started to fit 22mm full bore turn lever valves before and after the Magnaclean – this is a much better arrangement and only adds a tenner or so to the job.

I have no idea how much you will have to pay someone to fit it. It’s a pretty easy job so should not take more than an hour or so. Make sure you get an actual heating engineer – someone that knows the difference between the primary flow and return and you should be fine.
# 4
Canucklehead
Old 24-10-2008, 7:07 PM

Hi, Andy: Sorry to hear about your trials. I'm surprised your installer, Swale Heating, didn't powerflush the CH system (the OH always includes a powerflush and a Boiler Buddy,which uses standard 22mm gate-type valves, in all quotes). For a powerflush using Sentinel or Fernox products and fitting a customer supplied Magnaclean/Boiler Buddy down here you're looking at 350 and a day

Note to Elite Heat..... Have you tried the Boiler Buddy?

HTH

Canucklehead
Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
# 5
EliteHeat
Old 24-10-2008, 7:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucklehead View Post
Note to Elite Heat..... Have you tried the Boiler Buddy?
No, simply because of their need for pump valves - the bane of my life!

Fitted loads of Magnacleans though and they never fail to impress - with the exception of the crappy isolators though.
The Following User Says Thank You to EliteHeat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
EliteHeat
Old 25-10-2008, 6:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What you're planning on doing will be fine. Far more than most installers, let alone householders.

Incidentally, BG seem to now be cooling off on powerflushes in favour of fitting Magnacleans.
# 7
Canucklehead
Old 25-10-2008, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew-b View Post
To be fair to them I think powerflush was discussed originally but because i'd drained down a rad and the water appeared pretty much clear I thought it was going to be unnecessary - in hindsight this was not one of my best decisions! Out of about 5 quotes at the time I think British Gas were the only one's who tried a hard sell on powerflushing to me.

Looking at the worksheet what was actually carried out was a cold flush initially, a hot flush with cleaner in and another flush before refilling with inhibitor added. As i recall it the water ran fairly clear and there wasn't really any major sign of sludge. In hindsght i'd probably have insisted on the powerflush now but nevermind!

I was looking at the boiler buddy the other day on fernox website. Other than their isolator valves and the window allowing you to see into the boiler buddy is there that much difference between magnaclean and boiler buddy? From what i've seen the boiler buddy is marginally more expensive though not enough to justify a decision on price alone.

The going rate for powerflushes is of the order of what i suspected. Not sure i can bend the house budget that far without something having to give elsewhere - will look into it though. Everything at the moment seems to be a trade off between what we can afford and the ideal solution.

Andy
Good morning: If you're going to spend the day taking off rads and rinsing by hand you might as well bite the bullet and rent a powerflush from Brandon's at Westwood.The OH doesn't 'hardsell' powerflushes just follows 'Best Practice' in all aspects of central heating installation: saves lots of hassle for the client and himself as you have discovered.

HTH

Canucklehead
# 8
Canucklehead
Old 25-10-2008, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteHeat View Post
What you're planning on doing will be fine. Far more than most installers, let alone householders.

Incidentally, BG seem to now be cooling off on powerflushes in favour of fitting Magnacleans.
Good morning: Too many substandard installations out there but conversely good business for anyone who services/repairs. BG's gone with the cheaper option: makes for faster installation for their multitudes of subcontractors on carp money.... I don't believe many consumers know about BG's extensive use of subbies or the fact that many ' installers' know nothing about faultfinding/repair (lots of chat about this on diyNOT in the Combustion Chamber).

Canucklehead
# 9
EliteHeat
Old 25-10-2008, 4:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
lots of chat about this on diyNOT in the Combustion Chamber
I really ought to get around to submitting my Corgi details, but that lot can be a bit hardcore at the best of times - it does your head in sometimes
# 10
Canucklehead
Old 25-10-2008, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteHeat View Post
that lot can be a bit hardcore at the best of times - it does your head in sometimes
Absolutely

Canucklehead
# 11
PasPer2
Old 25-10-2008, 7:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

My Father has just had his C/H replaced with a new combi-boiler and they have fitted the item below. Is this comparable to the boiler buddy or similar devices ?

Dirt Separators

The Spirovent Dirt separator is designed to separate and collect the dirt particles circulating in the system's water. Dirt is released through a bottom drain valve.

Part No.DescriptionUnit Price Qty17196 22 mm compression, horizontal 75.60
# 12
Razor
Old 25-10-2008, 8:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I find that if the cold feed to the system or the vent are blocked it will be at the point they join the system rather than in the loftspace, I usually cap both the feed and vent in the airing cupboard and clean the tank out by hand. This is on a BG powerflush where the installer gets about 3 and a half hours for up to 17 rads They also do a powercleanse where you get 48 minutes to get the kit out the van, flush whole system, fit magnaclean and pack away .

www.kamco.co.uk has a good guide to powerflushing.

Make sure there is a balancing valve fitted on the return from the hot cylinder or you will spend all day only flushing the coil.

Do you have microbore pipework? If so double the cleaning chemical and make sure you flush both ways or you could make things worse.

There is a new magnaclean out nowish that combines the best features of the magnaclean and boiler buddy haven't seen one yet but supposed to be good.

Good luck
# 13
EliteHeat
Old 25-10-2008, 9:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You would be better off taking some quality photos of your airing cupboard. Especially where the pump and motorised valve is located.
# 14
Canucklehead
Old 08-11-2008, 8:56 PM

Good evening: Andy...I suspect you could get a better quote from a local, independent RGI ....that price is at least 100 too much.

HTH

Canucklehead
# 15
heating-eng
Old 04-06-2011, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Get a spirotechs magnabooster instead
X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
Please don,t let this put you off.
# 16
Canucklehead
Old 04-06-2011, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heating-eng View Post
Get a spirotechs magnabooster instead
Just curious...why have you revived a thread last posted on in Autumn 2008?

Canucklehead
# 17
heating-eng
Old 04-06-2011, 6:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Just curious...why have you revived a thread last posted on in Autumn 2008?

Canucklehead
I didn't realise
X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
Please don,t let this put you off.
Closed Thread