IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Help with heating costs?
Closed Thread
Views: 12,178
# 1
Louise Davies
Old 22-10-2008, 10:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Help with heating costs?

I have MS and need my room temperature to be around 24c to stop my hans, feet etc from going white and cold as ice. At the moment I'm using a calor gaz heater to heat the living room to a decent temperature even if the rest of the house is freezing.

Does anyone know of any help with heating costs for the disabled as there are for pensioners?
# 2
McKneff
Old 22-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

have you spoken to CAB or Social Services, you shouldnt have to put with that, are you claiming DLA, attendance allowance etc
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
# 3
Oldernotwiser
Old 22-10-2008, 10:44 PM
PPR

If you're claiming DLA and/or IB, surely this is to cover the extra expenses such as these?
# 4
McKneff
Old 22-10-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldernotwiser View Post
If you're claiming DLA and/or IB, surely this is to cover the extra expenses such as these?
it hasn't been established what the OP is claiming yet
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
# 5
Oldernotwiser
Old 22-10-2008, 10:53 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniehanlon View Post
it hasn't been established what the OP is claiming yet
I know; that's why I said IF!
# 6
SandraScarlett
Old 22-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I believe all the fuel providers have Special Care Rates. Some depend on income received, and others on health needs. It would be worth a phone call, to explain your situation, and to find out if you qualify. Good Luck!

Sandra Scarlett
The Following User Says Thank You to SandraScarlett For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
tightperson
Old 22-10-2008, 11:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Davies View Post
I have MS and need my room temperature to be around 24c to stop my hans, feet etc from going white and cold as ice. At the moment I'm using a calor gaz heater to heat the living room to a decent temperature even if the rest of the house is freezing.

Does anyone know of any help with heating costs for the disabled as there are for pensioners?
All the major suppliers have Social Tariffs now. EDF and Atlantic (part of Southern) work out your total gas & electric costs for the coming year based on your previous years consumption. They take details of all your income, benefits etc, if your total fuel costs are more than 10% of your total income then they will agree to put you on their social tariff. This tariff gives you a 20% discount off whatever tariff you have signed up for. Use a comparison website, sign up for the cheapest then join the Social Tariff. Hope that helps.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tightperson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Billobel
Old 23-10-2008, 11:13 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware that there was a social tariff. I shall have a look at my provider and see what they offer.
# 9
zzzLazyDaisy
Old 23-10-2008, 11:49 AM

Please be aware that British Gas 'social tariff' (Essentials) is only cheaper than their standard tariff, but it is not cheaper than the on-line click energy 6 (althoug it is cheaper than click energy 5). Confused? You will be! When I tried to find out about Essentials, I was told by customer service team, and by the essentials team themselves, that Essentials does not have a tariff as such, just a discounted rate, so they cannot give info on tariff prices! I also understand that BG are no longer calling Essentials a 'social tariff' because it does not meet the Govt's requirement on being the cheapest of ALL tariffs available.

I understand some of the other providers have much more transparent social energy tariffs - a friend with Southern electric got 20% discount as she is on IS & DLA.

Good luck, and do let us know how you go on x

edit: search for 'essentials' on MSE for more information, if you are with BG
I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.

Letter Before Claim from a parking company? DO NOT IGNORE - THE NEXT STEP IS COURT ACTION. See my thread (page 1 of the parking forum) and FIGHT BACK!
# 10
travistowers
Old 23-10-2008, 12:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default heating costs

hi louise i also have m.s and suffer the same way as you from the cold.as i,m sat here my right foot is that cold it feels as though it is going to drop off.it does'nt help putting more layers on.my husband is on incapacity benefit and with all the rising costs of fuel we dare'nt put the heating on.we have a pre payment meter for the electric so for extra warmth we use a halogen heater.i.ve visited the C A B on a couple of occasions and to be honest i did,nt find them very helpful.(maybe just me).i hope there is some help somewhere for people with M S and other illnesses that the cold affects them. travistowers
# 11
cloggy1
Old 23-10-2008, 12:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy help with fuel costs

:confused: I have been on the phone all morning trying to get help with this very issue.Scottish power /manweb only have a reduced tariff for people over 60 and so I have logged a complaint.I think consumers with a disability under 60 or those with children with a disability were they need to be kept warm all year round need to start lobbying MP'S ,form a pressure group etc.
Good luck
# 12
Information Officer
Old 23-10-2008, 12:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Listed below are the contact details for the main providers, and details of the schemes that they offer:

BRITISH GAS ESSENTIALS:offers eligible pre-payment and credit consumers the same unit prices as Direct Debit customers. To qualify you must be in receipt of certain benefits. For more information on Essentials please call 0800 072 7100

EDF ENERGY ENERGY ASSIST:this tariff offers a 15% reduction for consumers who receive Pension Credit, Income Support or are in fuel poverty (spend 10% or more of income on fuel). To find out more about Energy Assist, call 0800 328 9010

E.ON ENERGY STAYWARM:offers fixed monthly payments by Direct Debit to older people. Payment levels depend on size of home, number of occupants and annual consumption. For more details about the Staywarm scheme call 0800 169 4694

NPOWER SPREADING WARMTH: This tariff offers consumers a £125 annual discount for fuel supplied by npower. This tariff is only available to household with an income less than £13500 and who are over 60, living with a chronic disability or illness or living with a child under 16. For more details about this scheme call 0800 975 1373

SCOTTISH POWER CAREFREE PLUS: available to consumers 60+ who don’t pay by Direct Debit and are in receipt of certain benefits. To find out more call 0141 568 2928

SOUTHERN ELECTRIC ENERGYPLUS CARE:offers a 20% reduction on the current fuel bill. This scheme takes into account annual fuel costs, household income and other special circumstances. For more information call 0800 622 838
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Information Officer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
zzzLazyDaisy
Old 23-10-2008, 3:48 PM

Thanks for this Information Officer.

Can I just clarify the N-power discount. I read that this isn't a £125 cash reduction on your bill, but £125 off the standard rate tariff, so that if you are on a cheaper on-line tariff, the actual cash discount received by the customer is quite a bit less than £125.

Is this correct? Any further info would be really useful.

Many thanks
I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.

Letter Before Claim from a parking company? DO NOT IGNORE - THE NEXT STEP IS COURT ACTION. See my thread (page 1 of the parking forum) and FIGHT BACK!
# 14
colin13
Old 23-10-2008, 7:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i Have MS also and feel the cold i am with scottish power i phoned and asked about there carefree scheme i got a phone call back sayin the tarriff i am on is cheaper than carefree sounds silly to me but give ur provider a call and c wot they can do good luck
# 15
swecri
Old 23-10-2008, 8:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Winter Fuel Payments for people with Raynaud's
I am a 21 year old sufferer of Raynaud's, Lupus SLE and another related connective tissue called Scleroderma. These conditions are complex and often difficult to understand and manage, however my main symptoms are triggered from being in environments with temperature below 22 degrees.
When I am exposed to the cold, I develop ulcers on my hands, ears and elbows which are excruciating. I always need horrible medical treatment as an in-patient in hospital and this has a difficult effect on my life particularly during the winter.
My partner and are fortunate enough to own our own house, however the winter heating bills really are extortionate often leading us to the choice of debt, or not having the heating on at all. I need the heating on all year round particularly the winter.
I am trying to establish whether there is any way that Winter Fuel Payments can be considered under the circumstances, or if anyone has had success in claiming Winter Fuel Payments which are usually only available to the over 60's?
My condition is chronic and progressive, and another thing I need to consider is I am also five months through a very difficult and risky pregnancy and I am keen to continue to do everything I can to prevent further complications to my own body and to the baby. I also want to try and do everything I can to slow the progression of the diseases and I know help financially would help me to achieve this.
# 16
swecri
Old 23-10-2008, 8:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I don't know if anyone else suffers from Raynaud's but it can be an unforgiving disease, and very often makes me really split financially. I get a little upset when I have the heating bills come through, because it is hard enough paying for a mortgage without the additional high heating bills. It just doesn't seem fair, or consistant. The government won't help pay for my heating, yet this often causes the NHS to have to pick up an even bigger bill when I'm admited into hospital for weeks and weeks. It's not fun either!! My Grandparents are luckey enough to live in a well insulated 1st floor flat and they have a WTF payment of £200 every year. Yet they never use their heating for more than a hour a day. Yet mine is on as much as I can afford, because I am poorly otherwise!!! My Grandparents are luckey I know, but their heating bill doesn't even come to £200 over the entire winter!!! It's so frustrating!!
# 17
zzzLazyDaisy
Old 23-10-2008, 10:01 PM

Hi, Swecri ((((hugs)))) my dad has reynauds and I know how horrible it can be.

I found this information about disabled facilities grant. This is probably not your area, so you will need to make local enquiries, but I did notice that it includes grants for adequate heating - I know that isn't directly helping to pay your heating bills, but it might help you to (say) install a more efficient and economical heating system?

http://www.lancaster.gov.uk/General....X9452-A77FA2D8

I'm not aware of WFpayment being made to disabled people, but I would be interested if anyone does know of any form of help with heating bills for disabled people as I also suffer terribly with the cold and, like many disabled people, the heating bill is the single biggest drain on my finances.

# 18
lourhys
Old 24-10-2008, 10:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

If you ring your energy providers and tell them someone in the home is disabled they usually will all give a discount, usually around 10% HTH
# 19
linwren
Old 24-10-2008, 12:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi. Unfortunately there is no extra funding for disabled folk. The assumption is that you get IS and DLA and that should be enough. If you happen to be married and he/she is in full time work it's worse. Well, we know it's not. I have Raynauds that has come through Rheumatoid Arthritis and it can be a real misery if you get cold 'cause you seize up. I use water bottles and when it gets too tough I go to bed. Nice life eh? There is a petition at No.10 to increase funding for IS etc. Log on and sign it. The more that do the more likely they are to listen.
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/icomesupport/
Changed my fuel supplier from EDF to EBICO and got a great rate for charging my wheelchair. EDF came to check and was amazed how low I was being charged and no extras for prepaid meters either. Did the happy dance..well, sort of
A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
# 20
Careful with that Axe
Old 24-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Davies View Post

Have you considered a halogen heater for the living room? They are very effective and quite cheap to run.
I have Reynaulds in my feet and find that this and a snuggly blanket keep me comfortable in the living room when its cold.
I must go, I have lives to ruin and hearts to break

My attitude depends on my Latitude 49° 55' 0" N 6° 19' 60 W
Closed Thread