Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > Cancel or change emirates flight tickets (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cancel or change emirates flight tickets
Views: 85,523
# 1
WOW Factor 0
andyj941
Old 21-10-2008, 10:16 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy Cancel or change emirates flight tickets

Hi I booked a return flight to australia for 2 adults with emirates with ebookers.com. I'd like to change the dates we travel due to a change in the availability of my family is aus (who we're visiting) and was wondering where I stood with cancellation/change charges. I'm currently trying to ring ebookers but it's constantly engaged. The trouble is we bought it using a debit card and of yet haven't bought any travel insurance. It says on the ebookers website that they will charge 25 for each ticket cancelled but I don't know what emirates will charge and if the tickets are refundable (they were the cheapest I could find). Any help would be appreciated thanks
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
jcorbygas
Old 21-10-2008, 10:32 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If they were the cheapest tickets you will find that most certainly they will not be changeable or be refundable. You should read the terms and conditions that you would have seen when you booked the flights.
However, you should get back the taxes that you paid.
# 3
andyj941
Old 21-10-2008, 10:38 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I did and nowhere did I notice anything about it. They have told me that it's 400 to cancel and out of the total 1719.40 we paid we'll get back the full amount minus the 400. So that's not really an option because it's too expensive. Or to change to tickets to a different date would be 75 from emirates and 10 from ebookers, so 170 in total. It's annoying because the flight that goes out on the date we want to move it to is a lot cheaper than what we paid for and we could potentially be on that flight but be paying 170 more
# 4
blindman
Old 21-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj941 View Post
I did and nowhere did I notice anything about it. They have told me that it's 400 to cancel and out of the total 1719.40 we paid we'll get back the full amount minus the 400. So that's not really an option because it's too expensive. Or to change to tickets to a different date would be 75 from emirates and 10 from ebookers, so 170 in total. It's annoying because the flight that goes out on the date we want to move it to is a lot cheaper than what we paid for and we could potentially be on that flight but be paying 170 more
What are the options if you stick to the original dates?
Relatives not there so hotel cost?

How far in advance are we talking here and how big is the date change ?

170 is not a great amount in the whole scheme of things.

OH
BTW
Buy travel insurance NOW
# 5
andyj941
Old 21-10-2008, 11:30 AM
MoneySaving Convert

The only reason we are going is to stay with my family. Flights are for the 16th April to 8th May and I'm planning to move it forward a whole 5 weeks to 12th March 3rd April. Will do!
# 6
andyj941
Old 21-10-2008, 11:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Confused now as emirates say they don't charge for the first change to a ticket but charge 75 for a second subsequent change. Therefore since this will be the first and only change ebookers should only be charging 2 x 10 admin in total! What the ____ is going on
# 7
andyj941
Old 21-10-2008, 12:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ebookers say that the free change only applies after departure so can only be done once we're in australia which isn't much use to me. I will get to the bottom of this even if it takes me the rest of the year!
# 8
andyj941
Old 21-10-2008, 12:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes this is true it's only after departure that you can change details once for free.
The Following User Says Thank You to andyj941 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
richardw
Old 21-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
to change to tickets to a different date would be 75 from emirates and 10 from ebookers,
Good reason to avoid ebookers.
# 10
cundall
Old 21-10-2008, 9:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When i booked with Travelocity and emirates i just went direct and bypassed them and not had any problems changing the dates... though i had departed.
# 11
andyj941
Old 23-10-2008, 10:02 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Red face

Ok so I changed the dates 24 hours ago. Trouble is on the emirates booking manager page it has the new flights and dates on the first page but when you go to view/print eticket for each passenger the old flights (5 weeks later) are still on the eticket. Also the new seats I requested aren't recorded anywhere. I'm inclined to think that they just haven't changed it yet since I haven't yet been charged the change fee (it's yet to come out of my account). Anyone else had experience making changes and the website not reflecting them straight away?
# 12
andyj941
Old 23-10-2008, 10:03 AM
MoneySaving Convert

And by the way I'd definitely recommend going straight via the airline when booking flights!
# 13
mad_rich
Old 23-10-2008, 12:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Anyone else had experience making changes and the website not reflecting them straight away?
Trick sticking your surname and 6-digit PNR into www.checkmytrip.com . This has always updated instantly when I've made changes.
The Following User Says Thank You to mad_rich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Tojo Ralph
Old 23-10-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Anyone else had experience making changes and the website not reflecting them straight away?
From my own experences when calling and making itinerary changes with various airlines, the changes appear the moment that the change is agreed and the bod on the other end of the line confirms the change to you. If your itinerary has not changed on the company website or https://www.checkmytrip.com then I would suggest that the changes have yet to be made... unless of course they have issued a new e-ticket number or booking code?

With regard to seat allocation, any revisions should appear on the company website, however check my trip may not update seat changes.

Last edited by Tojo Ralph; 23-10-2008 at 12:40 PM.
# 15
andyj941
Old 31-10-2008, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just to let you know the eticket changed another 24 hours after the itinery changed, i was just being impatient and anxious! Customer service from ebookers was great and that of emirates was good (apart from the woman who told me that the change wouldn't incur a fee from them!). Thanks for your replies
The Following User Says Thank You to andyj941 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
ram20
Old 19-09-2011, 2:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Change in return flight ticket

Hi,

I have recently booked a ticket from netflgihts.com for the emirates flight. I want to postpone my return journey by 5 days. How to proceed with this. Already mailed netflights but not so sure what they will come back with.
My travel is quite a far from present date. More than 3 months from now. Will appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
Ram
# 17
cherryx
Old 19-09-2011, 3:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

nightmare scenario.. booked flights to nz for march 2012 via net flights. filled in on screen details .. used my preferred name instead of given name. Contacted netflights week later when noticed. Emirates have issued e ticket - net flights want me to pay 100 percent of flight for cancellation & charge me again to book another ticket, checked with travel insurance..not covered appears gold medal travel impose their cancellation policy of 100 percent cancellation although i only want a name change.....any advice please.

thanks
# 18
sandramay
Old 25-09-2011, 9:38 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Cancelled flt by Emirates

We are flying to Doha via Dubai original flt arrive Dubai from London at 0630am, 0830am to Doha this has now been cancelled and the next flt is not till 1415! so nearly 8 hrs stop over. I booked on line through travel bag but the agent is the most obnoctious person i ever dealt with i'm wondering if i would get my money back if i cancelled the Emirates flights out and back as they have also rescheduled the return flt leaving an hour earlier which that isn't a problem, not only is the long wait a night mare but my son and his wife are leaving for a holiday that night so we will now only have a few hours to familiarize to our new suroundings and all the info needed to look after the grandchildren!
# 19
Voyager2002
Old 25-09-2011, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandramay View Post
We are flying to Doha via Dubai original flt arrive Dubai from London at 0630am, 0830am to Doha this has now been cancelled and the next flt is not till 1415! so nearly 8 hrs stop over. I booked on line through travel bag but the agent is the most obnoctious person i ever dealt with i'm wondering if i would get my money back if i cancelled the Emirates flights out and back as they have also rescheduled the return flt leaving an hour earlier which that isn't a problem, not only is the long wait a night mare but my son and his wife are leaving for a holiday that night so we will now only have a few hours to familiarize to our new suroundings and all the info needed to look after the grandchildren!
Have a word with Emirates: their telephone service people are courteous and helpful, and the rules give them some discretion. Also check up on your rights when airlines make a "major" schedule change, which this is.
# 20
movilogo
Old 18-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Please let me know the procedure and charges of date change in emirates flight tickets first time/next time.Minimum how many days before one can go for change?
Thanks,
Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.

Last edited by movilogo; 24-04-2012 at 2:17 PM.