Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Polly
    • By Polly 19th Oct 08, 4:43 PM
    • 885Posts
    • 490Thanks
    Polly
    How do I prep a honey pomelo?
    • 19th Oct 08, 4:43 PM
    How do I prep a honey pomelo? 19th Oct 08 at 4:43 PM
    Just bought a honey pomelo from Lidl (on offer doncha know!) but don't know where to start. Hoping its a giant pear or something similar that will go a long way in a fruit salad. All replies greatly appreciated :confused:
Page 1
  • misskool
    • 19th Oct 08, 5:00 PM
    • 19th Oct 08, 5:00 PM
    It's got a soft squishy outer skin and you eat the citrus bits in the middle.

So take a sharp knife and score the outer skin, peel back until you get to the fruit. Then slice the fruit up like you would an orange.

Take care to remove as much of the pith as possible as it is quite bitter.

Yum yum, i haven't had one in ages...
  • anniebooklover
    • 19th Oct 08, 5:08 PM
    • 19th Oct 08, 5:08 PM
    Just bought a honey pomelo from Lidl (on offer doncha know!) but don't know where to start. Hoping its a giant pear or something similar that will go a long way in a fruit salad. All replies greatly appreciated :confused:
    Originally posted by Polly
    I buy pomelo and to me it's just like a huge grapefruit. Cut the fruit segments out and mix with other citrus fruits, pineapple, melon and the like. Delish.
    "Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    - Proverb
    • sandy2
    • By sandy2 19th Oct 08, 7:12 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    sandy2
    • 19th Oct 08, 7:12 PM
    • 19th Oct 08, 7:12 PM
    Pomelo is spanish for grapefruit
    • Polly
    • By Polly 19th Oct 08, 9:15 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Polly
    • 19th Oct 08, 9:15 PM
    • 19th Oct 08, 9:15 PM
    Thanks to you all - what an education I've just had!!
    • Pennylane
    • By Pennylane 15th Sep 09, 3:21 PM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 5,424 Thanks
    Pennylane
    • 15th Sep 09, 3:21 PM
    • 15th Sep 09, 3:21 PM
    Yay!! I figured there might be a thread on here Lidl had these for £1.49 today and I was tempted. Anyone else tried them. Apparently they are grown in china and are like giant grapefruit.

Will be eating it in a few days, so will give my verdict.
  • kylez
    • 29th Nov 09, 4:00 PM
    • 29th Nov 09, 4:00 PM
    everyone seems to be buying from lidl xD i just got myself 1 out of curiosity to and checked here to find out wat it was.. after reading all the comments i expected to find a tiny grapefruit inside but it was actually quite huge 6-7 inches of fruit, neways they are easy to open and the skin around the segments is a little dry and so it peels away very easily leaving u with all of the juicy bit which is pretty tasty.. not as strong flavour as a normal grapefruit its quite mild but still a very good snack to have i could eat these all the time.. shame they arnt usually in supermarkets
  • katiemartin79
    • 20th Jan 10, 3:59 PM
    • 20th Jan 10, 3:59 PM
    They're only 39p in Lidl this week
  • linden12
    • 22nd Dec 10, 3:18 PM
    • 22nd Dec 10, 3:18 PM
    just brought one was 1 pounds did think it was a melon then thought 1 big lemon now looking here i now know some kind of grapefruit so now i know what i just brought thank you all
    Last edited by linden12; 22-12-2010 at 5:43 PM.
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 22nd Dec 10, 3:19 PM
    • 4,144 Posts
    • 9,983 Thanks
    Seakay
    Not melon according to this thread - grapefruit!
  • coinqueen
    honey pomelo
    I also bought a honey pomelo yesterday and wondered if was a type of melon.
    I have since discovered it is a member of the grapefruit family so husband cannot eat it as he is on blood pressure tablets and warfarin.
    • Alison Funnell
    • By Alison Funnell 29th Jan 11, 4:43 AM
    • 811 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    Alison Funnell
    Very true. Though I am naughty and occasionally have some, always the opposite end of the day from my meds.

Sadly I LOVE pomelo and grapefruit.
    Put the kettle on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,544Posts Today

8,018Users online

Martin's Twitter