IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Year a house was built???
Views: 296,979
# 1
Loui1979
Old 08-12-2005, 12:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Talking WooooHooooo Year a house was built???

Guys,
Can you help me? I need to find out when my property was built? Can i do it over the net? I have asked the EA thats selling me it but the dont know. I cant ask my solicitors yet as they cant do the searched until two weeks.

Help!!!

Last edited by Loui1979; 08-12-2005 at 2:37 PM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
MyUserNamesTaken
Old 08-12-2005, 2:07 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loui1979
Guys,
Can you help me? I need to find out when my property was built? Can i do it over the net? I have asked the EA thats selling me it but the dont know. I cant ask my solicitors yet as they cant do the searched until two weeks.

Help!!!

http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk/

It will cost you 2.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyUserNamesTaken For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Loui1979
Old 08-12-2005, 2:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Talking WoooooHooooo

ive found A COMPLETLY FREE WAY.

YipEEEEEEEEEEEEE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loui1979 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Loui1979
Old 08-12-2005, 3:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

ok, go into www.esure.com then Home insurance as if you were going to get a quote for Home insurance. Then enter your details - you house number then its postcode. Once you have completed the info go to next and the rest of your address comes up automatically, Wait for it........... INCLUDING THE YEAR IT WAS BUILT.

HOW MAD IS THAT? SORRY I DIDNT FIND THIS OUT BEFORE TO ALL THAT HAVE SPENT MONEY ON THE LAND REGISTRY WEBSITE.

P.S HOPE YOU ALL GIVE ME A BIG THANKS!
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Loui1979 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
MyUserNamesTaken
Old 08-12-2005, 3:11 PM

Quote:
ok, go into www.esure.com then Home insurance as if you were going to get a quote for Home insurance. Then enter your details - you house number then its postcode. Once you have completed the info go to next and the rest of your address comes up automatically, Wait for it........... INCLUDING THE YEAR IT WAS BUILT.

HOW MAD IS THAT? SORRY I DIDNT FIND THIS OUT BEFORE TO ALL THAT HAVE SPENT MONEY ON THE LAND REGISTRY WEBSITE.

Sorry to upset you, but the dates are not necessarily right on there. It's got my house showing as being built in 1920, when it was built in 1870 (i have photocopies of the deeds to see when it was built.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyUserNamesTaken For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Debras Angel
Old 08-12-2005, 3:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:

Hi Loui1979,

Just tried this and my house came up as constructed in 1980, but it was constructed in 1998 for sure as I watched it being built bit by bit over the months!!

That was 18 years out, so be careful if the actual year is important to you.

Cheers Debs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Debras Angel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
sharonB
Old 08-12-2005, 3:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Exclamation

Quote:

Please dont take the information you have been given by that quote ... I just tried it and it says our house was built in 1979 , well the previous tennent here lived here since it was built 42 years ago .

that site only goes by the postcode not a proper register
The Following User Says Thank You to sharonB For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Debras Angel
Old 08-12-2005, 3:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyUserNamesTaken
Sorry to upset you, but the dates are not necessarily right on there. It's got my house showing as being built in 1920, when it was built in 1870 (i have photocopies of the deeds to see when it was built.

Ditto
# 9
black-saturn
Old 08-12-2005, 4:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Same here too. Says mine was built in 1920 but actually it was built in 1896.
# 10
nickinoo
Old 08-12-2005, 5:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It doesn't work for me either It says my house was built in 1920 but when we bought it in 96 we were told it was at least 120 years old.
# 11
Murray
Old 08-12-2005, 5:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think that it only goes back to 1920 beacuse it came up with that for our house and it was more like 1870. It also said it was detached and its actually a terrace!

Maybe anything pre 1920 is in the same risk category for insurance purposes??
# 12
MyUserNamesTaken
Old 08-12-2005, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black-saturn
Same here too. Says mine was built in 1920 but actually it was built in 1896.

That'll be the NR32 post code!

I don't know any houses around here that were built in 1920! These are all Victorian terraces.
# 13
MyUserNamesTaken
Old 08-12-2005, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray
I think that it only goes back to 1920 beacuse it came up with that for our house and it was more like 1870. It also said it was detached and its actually a terrace!

Maybe anything pre 1920 is in the same risk category for insurance purposes??

I had that the other day on a different site. It said my house was a 4 bed detached house. No, it's not! It's a 4 bed end terrace!
# 14
Loui1979
Old 09-12-2005, 8:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

O well guys sorry sbout that. Trust Me! thought id found a free way for us all.

Sorry again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loui1979 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
JimmySave
Old 16-11-2009, 11:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy Land Registry didn't hold original build data

I know this is an old thread however I just bought the register and plan details for 8 from the Lnd Registry and all it gave me was the purchase I made 12 years ago. My house was built between 1925-40 and has had several owners but it does not even show those conveyances let alone the original build. Useless
# 16
g_attrill
Old 16-11-2009, 11:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think the esure data might come from what previous owners have entered when insuring it - presumably the insurers share that sort of data between them.

I recently bought and the surveyor put "around 60 years old" on the report, presumably from his local knowledge, but I only found out a more specific date (1952) when reading a newspaper article about the sale of the specific houses.
# 17
martindow
Old 17-11-2009, 8:27 AM

Mine's coming up as older than it is - 1945 when it is actually 1954
# 18
Richard Webster
Old 17-11-2009, 8:53 AM

There isn't foolproof any way other than local research. (In my own case quite apart from the date of the first conveyance - 1953 - my next door neighbour but one bought his house new and is still living there and there is a photo in a local history publication he took which shows my house being built.)

With a lot of modern property the Land Registry entries will include reference to a conveyance or transfer by some builder which contained rights and covenants etc. With houses built since say about 1960 the builder would usually sell it straight away so the date of that conveyance or transfer is a pretty good guide to when it was built.

With ex-Council houses the date of that conveyance/transfer won't mean anything because it will only say when it was first sold. The same principle applies to a lot of older property which was originally built for renting - it was often retained by the builder and let out and then his family found in the 1950s and 60s that the rent restriction legislation then applying made it uneconomic to retain the houses so they were sold off perhaps when a tenant died - so the date of the first conveyance (if stated in the Land Registry entries - and it isn't always if it did not impose any new covenants etc).

Before WW2 particularly in areas where larger houses were going to be built it was the often the practice for a landowner to sell plots for building without anything on the plot. The buyer would then build a house to his own specification so often the house would be a year or two younger than the date of that conveyance - but sometimes a builder might hold onto land for a time before building so the date of that first conveyance with covenants and rights would not indicate the date the house was built if only because it would simply convey a the plot of land and not contain the traditional words "together with the messuage or dwellinghouse erected thereon..." Don't ask me what a messuage is!
RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard Webster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
danieldlaine
Old 17-03-2011, 1:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Esure were useless for me... they couldn't even quote me as I live near the sea!

Asda's (AXA) didn't seem to mind!!
# 20
G_M
Old 17-03-2011, 3:10 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmySave View Post
I know this is an old thread however I just bought the register and plan details for 8 from the Lnd Registry and all it gave me was the purchase I made 12 years ago. My house was built between 1925-40 and has had several owners but it does not even show those conveyances let alone the original build. Useless
No - not useless. You are trying to achieve something from the Land Registry that it is not designed for.

It's like checking the electoral register and then complaining it doesn't tell you if your mum voted last year or not.

The LR is NOT a historical record of property contruction, it is a record of current land ownership, and to a limited extent past ownership.
The Following User Says Thank You to G_M For This Useful Post: Show me >>