Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • L.S.D.
    • By L.S.D. 7th Dec 05, 12:12 PM
    • 407Posts
    • 122Thanks
    L.S.D.
    Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 - Freeview
    • 7th Dec 05, 12:12 PM
    Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 - Freeview 7th Dec 05 at 12:12 PM
    Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 with Freeview

2 Tuners
    80 gig hard drive
    record whilst watching another programme
    Watch a programme later whilst still recording (Time slip)
    Much much more.

Thursday 15th December

Official Insert:

A PVR records programmes direct to its hard drive rather than onto external media. This one also has a Freeview box so you can get extra channels. Aldi's offer starts on Thursday 15 December. There's more info about this particular PVR on the Aldi website.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 13-12-2005 at 4:07 PM.
    Nice to save.
Page 1
    • bobdauilda
    • By bobdauilda 7th Dec 05, 12:46 PM
    • 761 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    bobdauilda
    • 7th Dec 05, 12:46 PM
    • 7th Dec 05, 12:46 PM
    does it have a dvd player too?
  • seth
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:04 PM
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:04 PM
    does it have a dvd player too?
    by bobdauilda
    These are usually hard disk based and do not usually have a DVD drive.
    They record to the hard disk and this is how they provide the "timeslip" or freeze live TV function.

It has 2 tuners so you should be able to watch one channel and record another.
    Seth.
    • GeoThermal
    • By GeoThermal 7th Dec 05, 1:08 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    GeoThermal
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:08 PM
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:08 PM
    Lidl are doing one with DVD recorder and 160gb hard drive for £149 however it's only available in certain regions. It does time slip but I think it only has one tuner.

From 12/12/05

Click here
    Last edited by GeoThermal; 07-12-2005 at 1:11 PM.
  • Fogg1969
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:14 PM
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:14 PM
    That's really cheap. I sold my flaky 20gig Pace Twin yesterday for £100. Given the value of that offering I have to consider myself lucky to have got what I did.

If anybody wants a high end pvr, Boots are currently selling the Inverto one for £200. This is widely regarded as one of the best in the marketplace, bettered only by the Topfield. I bought one to replace my Pace Twin, but am currently waiting for delivery.

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1065137

Triple advantage points, free delivery... Possibly further discounts too, not too sure which codes are still relevant. Cheapest I can find else where is £219. More info on the Inverto here:
    http://www.invertoforum.co.uk/forum/
  • dfarry
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:19 PM
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:19 PM
    LSD... do you have any further details on this please?... where did you see it as the website isn't updated yet.
    • L.S.D.
    • By L.S.D. 7th Dec 05, 1:40 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    L.S.D.
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:40 PM
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:40 PM
    LSD... do you have any further details on this please?... where did you see it as the website isn't updated yet.
    by dfarry
    It's on the leaflets in store today..Thursday 7th Dec.To be honest I think I've covered the main things it does, & that seems to be the same as most others.

Twin Tuner 80 gig PVR with Freeview
    Can record 2 channels at the same time whilst watching one of them
    Receives all Freeview channels
    Timeshift function
    DIGITAL RED BUTTON ????
    Interactive Teletext
    Easy set up
    Twin Scarts
    Now & Next information
    Electric Programme Guide (EPG)
    Slimline design.

If it's the same as my 'Digifusion' it should be able to record 2 channels at the same time & watch a previously recorded programme.
    Nice to save.
    • kevinyork
    • By kevinyork 7th Dec 05, 1:43 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    kevinyork
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:43 PM
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:43 PM
    Lidl are doing one with DVD recorder and 160gb hard drive for £149 however it's only available in certain regions. It does time slip but I think it only has one tuner.

From 12/12/05

Click here
    by GeoThermal
    The Lidl one doesnt have a freeview tuner, only Analogue.

Kev
  • dfarry
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:49 PM
    • 7th Dec 05, 1:49 PM
    It's on the leaflets in store today..Thursday 7th Dec.To be honest I think I've covered the main things it does, & that seems to be the same as most others.

Twin Tuner 80 gig PVR with Freeview
    Can record 2 channels at the same time whilst watching one of them
    Receives all Freeview channels
    Timeshift function
    DIGITAL RED BUTTON ????
    Interactive Teletext
    Easy set up
    Twin Scarts
    Now & Next information
    Electric Programme Guide (EPG)
    Slimline design.

If it's the same as my 'Digifusion' it should be able to record 2 channels at the same time & watch a previously recorded programme.
    by L.S.D.
    Cheers mate...

Very interesting and makes me question my decision to buy the Samsung DVD-R125....

I need a means to be record but it's not a big deal as I have a PVR on my PC anyway.... but at the same time I need something easy to use for the rest of the family...

The Samsung seemed a good bet plus it has HDMI upscaling.... but then thats no big deal either as my Xbox will play DVD's and upscale to 720p etc... on my LCD...and the Samsung is £200

Perhaps this PVR would be enough...and then I can use the remaining cash to get a new 19" LCD monitor from Aria

By the way have you seen this.....DVD recorder with I believe twin DVB tuners and a 200GB hard disk http://www.aldi-essen.de/OFFER_D/OFFER_50/OFF02.HTM
  • waj1234
    By the way have you seen this.....DVD recorder with I believe twin DVB tuners and a 200GB hard disk http://www.aldi-essen.de/OFFER_D/OFFER_50/OFF02.HTM[/QUOTE]

Looks as though that is a twin sat dvb one and not freeview type.

You think the aldi one will have a card slot?
  • b44rch
    I can recommend the Humax PVR9200T, had it for a couple of weeks now and it's been pretty good. twin dvb tuners, 160 gb harddisk, and you can record 2 programs and watch certain 3rd channels live!

It's more expensive at around £210, I thinks it's worth it.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=119
    No reliance should be placed on the above.

• nads
    • By nads 7th Dec 05, 3:01 PM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 1,397 Thanks
    nads
    Sorry if this sounds thick but do you know if the Aldi, Lidl or Boots Pvrs work with ntl digital? Do you use both the pvr remote and the ntl remote or is it jsut the pvr remote?

Thanks
  • Fogg1969
    None of them work with NTL digital. They've no input for external sources, they just use their integrated Freeview tuners.
    • nads
    • By nads 7th Dec 05, 3:11 PM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 1,397 Thanks
    nads
    Thanks for that Fogg, don't have much of a freeview reception so counts me out.

Pity, as it would have been a nice Crimbo present ...for me
    • welshblob
    • By welshblob 7th Dec 05, 3:22 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    welshblob
    Does anybody know how long the EPG will be, 7 or 14 days? I also wonder how much support this box will get knowing how buggy freeview boxes and pvr's can be.

Rob
  • boyohboy
    None of them work with NTL digital. They've no input for external sources, they just use their integrated Freeview tuners.
    by Fogg1969
    Not sure Fogg is right about the Lidl one, It only has a Analogue tuner so would have thought you can put a sky or Ntl box in. People are talking about it here
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=312329
    with a link to its manual .
    • GeoThermal
    • By GeoThermal 7th Dec 05, 4:15 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    GeoThermal
    by Fogg1969
    I know nothing about this but would the LIdl's one not connect to another device such as a Freeview/NTL digital via either the "DV-In (digital video), or Scart-in (RGB, Video)?" If not it seems a pretty useless device given the lack of channels on analogue.
  • dfarry
    I know nothing about this but would the LIdl's one not connect to another device such as a Freeview/NTL digital via either the "DV-In (digital video), or Scart-in (RGB, Video)?" If not it seems a pretty useless device given the lack of channels on analogue.
    by GeoThermal
    The PVR's do generally have two scarts I believe so I just assumed that they would for example record/timeshift say SKY or NTL too.... and not just freeview..

This is also the way the Recorder would work, the only downside being that it doesn't have twin digital tuners...

But considering the cost of freeview tuners and the fact you could use scart I think a combined DVD/HD based recorder may be more flexible than a PVR.

Thanks for the link B44rch I have looked at it and whilst i can appreciate the features if it can only record freeview then I also think that is limiting.....I have one of these connected to my PC http://www.nebula-electronics.com/
  • boyohboy
    The real plus of the twin freeview tuner is :
    1. The ease of programming , I have a Sagem and for the 1st time ever my wife can set a "video", just look through the EPG if you like the look of it, push the red button. Time,date channel all set. If you use sky or ntl you need to set that box too on the Lidl type.
    2. You can record and watch another channel at the same time.
    Downside is no back up that's easy to do. Shame no pvr with freeview and DVD recorder and hard drive.....or is there...
  • Niggy
    ..... Shame no pvr with freeview and DVD recorder and hard drive.....or is there...
    by boyohboy
    Sony do the RDRHXD710 (160GB) or 910 (250gb) - both have DVD recorders & hard-drives but I believe they only have single freeview tuners and the cheapest you'll find the smaller one for is about £400

I understand that the humax mentioned above also has a facility to link it to a PC enabling you to copy the video files from the PVR's hdd. (I think I remember reading somewhere that this feature didnt work very well, it seemed a bit rushed, the output files are corrupted and the software isnt very good)
    Last edited by Niggy; 07-12-2005 at 5:12 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,590Posts Today

7,179Users online

Martin's Twitter