Main site > Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > housing.council tax benefit for 19 year old (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
housing.council tax benefit for 19 year old
Closed Thread
Views: 2,137
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 15-10-2008, 12:44 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2
Question housing.council tax benefit for 19 year old

I live on disability benefits. My 19 yr old son is on a 'gap year' and just got a job, so has a take home of 240 a week. I obviously don't get any benefits for him, but am worried about my entitlement to housing and council tax benefit while he is earning and living at home. I would like some info before I phone my local HB Office, so I know what I am talking about. Any help? Ta
marybridget is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 15-10-2008, 12:52 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,345

any benefits you receive - housing benefit, council tax benefit, etc - BUT NOT DLA (this isnt means tested) will be affected if someone in the house is now earning. they will be expected to pay their half of stuff like rent, council tax etc. you will still get half for your half, but theperson who is earning now will have to pay!!
sandraroffey is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to sandraroffey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Old 15-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14,369

Make sure that when they assess the income of your son as seperate from your benefits, that you ask for them to be treated as 2 seperate incomes. Sorry, its not meant to sound horrible, but only from experience, a friend of mine lives with her mum, her mum now gets state pension, asked for a reduction, no they were earning to much, so they both wrote in saying mother / daughter relationship not partners income and based from that letter they got a reduction.
School Trip fund - 58.35/??.??[COLOR="Blue"]
Member of 14 crafts in 2014 8/14[/I]
Bed Fund 0/300
DD Xmas 150/200
mum2one is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to mum2one For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Old 15-10-2008, 9:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
Join Date: May 2008
Location: hampshire
Posts: 289

If you get dla care i don't think they take any non-dependent deductions for housing beefit/council tax
scooby1001 is offline
Report Post
# 5
Old 15-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,071

There will be no deductions according to this council website as you are in receipt of DLA.

"No deduction applies for any non-dependant whatsoever if the Housing Benefit claimant or any partner is:
  • Registered Blind
  • In receipt of Severe Disablement Allowance
  • In receipt of Disability Living Allowance
  • In receipt of Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance "
The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
Js_Other_Half is offline
Report Post
# 6
Old 15-10-2008, 2:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,586

If you're in receipt of any rate of the care component of DLA any non-dependants in your household are ignored for HB/CTB purposes so there is no deduction from these benefits. If you're not then the non-dependant deduction depends on his gross income not his net or 'take home' pay. The previous poster has supplied a link to the rates
suelees1 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to suelees1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Old 15-10-2008, 2:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2

Thanks for your help. The Tameside website was extremely useful.
marybridget is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 4:01 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 26 November 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed


Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed

Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.