Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > I need help opening A Bank Account without Proof ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
I need help opening A Bank Account without Proof of Address?
Closed Thread
Views: 25,505
# 1
azzaelectro
Old 14-10-2008, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default I need help opening A Bank Account without Proof of Address?

Hello,

I'm just wondering if anybody knows anyway around opening a bank account without proof of address?

I've always been paid cash in hand since the age of 16...so never needed the use of a bank account. My employer is now in the next few weeks going to be paying our wages directly into bank accounts...but I don't have one!

I tried to open one up with Natwest but they rejected me because I don't have proof of address. The women said any bank you go to will want proof of address.

I rent a room in a house which inc all bills, so I don't have any untily bills etc

The only docs I have is my Passport, NI Card and my Birth Certificate.

The only think I can think of, is that a friend offered to open a bank account in his name and I can use that? Would that work? I trust him with my life, I've known him since I was 2 years old, So I don't think he's gonna do me over for a few quid!

The Alsum Seekers and Polish seem to get away with it so there must be a way!

Any help would be greatly appreachiated,

Thanks
# 2
Mark7799
Old 14-10-2008, 7:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

How old are you now? Are you on the electoral roll anywhere?
Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark7799 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
azzaelectro
Old 14-10-2008, 8:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

This question was from a friend of mine, however he typed it in a 1st person point of view so it looks like I wrote it.

He's 22/23, he's a bit old Fashioned in the way he still keeps all his money under his mattress lol

As far as I know he's trying to keep off the Electoral Roll for personal reasons. He has a Driving licence but it's addressed to his mothers house and they no longer talk or something.

I didn't know what to suggest really so I said send a message under my profile on here.

I didn't think it was that hard to open a bank account, I've just used the same account since I was 12. I was stood behind a polish person the other day in a bank while he opened a bank account and all he said was "I open bank account, here is passport and address", lol the address was wrote down on a piece of paper.
# 4
viccig
Old 14-10-2008, 8:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you have a Yorkshire Bank near you they will open a bank account with just a valid passport, I had no proof of address when I opened my account.
Hth

http://www.ybonline.co.uk/personal/c...rrent-account/

Last edited by viccig; 14-10-2008 at 8:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to viccig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
azzaelectro
Old 14-10-2008, 8:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello,

I didn't think we had one, but it seems we do. Thanks for all the support, I'll pass all this info on.

Thanks

AzzA
# 6
Kavanne
Old 14-10-2008, 8:54 PM

Well if he changes his address with the DVLA that'd sort out the problem....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kavanne For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
bryanb
Old 14-10-2008, 8:57 PM

What about his rent book?
This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
The Following User Says Thank You to bryanb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Extant
Old 14-10-2008, 9:17 PM

Barclays will open an account on a passport or photo card driving license (provisional or full).

If the address on his driving license is out of date, the license must bear his full name and date of birth to be acceptable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Extant For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
azzaelectro
Old 14-10-2008, 9:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

A Driving Licence is proof of Identity and apprently can't be used as Proof of address at Natwest and RBS as no proof of address is sent to the DVLA when you request to change your address...however it seems sometimes it can be used if you take your passport with you as then that would be used to proof of identity and your driving licence of proof of address, but only if it's a new style driving licence...it's very confusing.

I don't think he has a rent book as such, I think it's just a informal agreement he has with his landlady to pay x amount per week/month.

I'll pass on the info about Yorkshire Bank and Abbey banks that do not require proof of address.
# 10
startech
Old 14-10-2008, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

A relative of mine who came to the UK recently, went into HSBC trying to open an account with no official proof of address. They rejected him after an assessment, however they provided him on the spot with a letter advising him of the decision (which had the address printed on it).

Went down the road to Lloyds, they accepted that letter as proof of address and managed to open up a Basic Bank Account with Visa Debit card.
The Following User Says Thank You to startech For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
azzaelectro
Old 14-10-2008, 10:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks Startech,

lmao........You couldn't make it up could you. Good Old Lloyds...What's an "assessment" thou?
# 12
jonesMUFCforever
Old 14-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Why does OP not open an account at the same bank as employer and ask him to introduce him and confirm his address.
If employer is legitimate this should be ok.
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always receive lots
# 13
startech
Old 14-10-2008, 10:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzaelectro View Post
Thanks Startech,

lmao........You couldn't make it up could you. Good Old Lloyds...What's an "assessment" thou?
Yeah I know, it was priceless to see how it worked, his first experience with the UK banking system lol.

The 'assessment' I referred to was just the standard credit-scoring process that HSBC goes through when deciding whether to open an account, establishing credit (ie a card, loan), etc.
# 14
azzaelectro
Old 14-10-2008, 11:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesMUFCforever View Post
Why does OP not open an account at the same bank as employer and ask him to introduce him and confirm his address.

lol "legitimate" Does not even come into this employers vocablary, I wouldn't be supprised if his employer is having problems opening an account himself.

From hear say I've heard that he's just be investigated by the inland revenue and, this is why the sudden move to become legal, however apprently as no receipts or records were ever produced over the years they can only tax the work that was done during the investigation or make a guess?

I might have to repost another theard as my friends, lets say his name is Andy is now scared that he might have to date back all his taxes till when he was 16, but surely they would never know...Can they do that?

Oh I dunno I'm just a law abiding citizen tryin to help a old fashioned, dim witted friend who prob has £10,000's stored under his mattress from all the money he has saved up over the years.

Also NI contributions have never been paid, so it's probably best now that he is legal so he can at least get a pension when he's older.

But what does he do about the money? I suggested mabye a trip to Spain to store the money there, at least it's safe from fire or theft etc..

AzzA
# 15
dori2o
Old 14-10-2008, 11:35 PM

Is your address up to date with HMRC? If so ask them to send you a P2 coding notice and use that as proof of ID. We get loads of requests for these daily.
The Following User Says Thank You to dori2o For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
brightonman123
Old 15-10-2008, 12:13 AM

any contract letter, or P60 (end of year tax form) received from employer? or is it all cash in hand?

rent book/contract may help, as may driving licence (with counterpart form).

get a prepaid card, and use the letter that comes with it..?

or a bit more beleivable (but drastic), sign up for donating blood- usually get a welcome letter of sorts..!
What does the Scroll Lock button do, exactly..?
Former super temp, in finance / telecoms..

Last edited by brightonman123; 15-10-2008 at 12:24 AM.
# 17
babirusa_rose
Old 26-10-2008, 11:41 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

P60 not accepted as proof of address by the bank I work with.
I am a CeMap qualified bank manager.

However, only advice that I have given outside these forums can be relied upon. Any advice I give in the forums must be verified with an external source as the forums do not give the depth of info required to give suitable personalised advise.
# 18
PROLIANT
Old 26-10-2008, 1:28 PM

P2 tax code notice from Inland Revenue is ok for proof of full ID if you have no Drivers License or Passport, if you have the latter the P2 will stand for Proof of address.
Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
# 19
Extant
Old 26-10-2008, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babirusa_rose View Post
P60 not accepted as proof of address by the bank I work with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonman123 View Post
any contract letter, or P60 (end of year tax form) received from employer? or is it all cash in hand?
It is horribly shady if a bank takes a P60 for any sort of KYC/ID&V process. A P60 is traditionally written by the employer, but any one can get ahold of one quite easily. They can be ordered from HMRC for free and in bulk quantities. I'd be surprised if there was anybody who took them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesMUFCforever View Post
This varies bank to bank, and can be an absolute pain. I know that we, at least, don't take the word of employers as any sort of introduction for an employee. After all, it's not hard to open a business bank account.
What would William Shatner do?
# 20
jonesMUFCforever
Old 26-10-2008, 6:14 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Not even a Barclays customer introducing a customer to Barclays?
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always receive lots
Closed Thread