Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 14th Oct 08, 8:16 AM
    • 5,734 Posts
    • 2,369 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 14th Oct 08, 8:16 AM
    • 14th Oct 08, 8:16 AM
    Dont be tempted by "Rooftec" and the like, the mess is unbelievable
  • aliasojo
    • 14th Oct 08, 9:04 AM
    • 14th Oct 08, 9:04 AM
    I've never even heard of them, lol.

One of my son's casual friends is a roofer so I'd likely ask him to do it, if it needed doing. I'm just not sure if it needs doing.

I've got a lot of jobs in and around the house to do so if it's something that is best done then I'll see to it, if it's purely for look, then it can wait.
    Herman - MP for all!
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 14th Oct 08, 11:20 AM
    • 4,918 Posts
    • 8,322 Thanks
    WestonDave
    • 14th Oct 08, 11:20 AM
    • 14th Oct 08, 11:20 AM
    The one place you do need to watch is if you have an L shaped roof with tiles in the valley rather than sheet lead. We had a problem where in very heavy rain, the moss build up in the valley was causing water to back up and go under the tile above. Fortunately for us the very nice roofing man we called to investigate the problem very quickly discovered what the problem was and fixed it without even charging us. Guess who is going to get the job when we get round to the couple of proper jobs we need doing on the roof!
  • BB1984
    • 14th Oct 08, 4:33 PM
    • 14th Oct 08, 4:33 PM
    I've just bought a house with a concrete tiled roof, and the little "balls" of moss have rolled down and blocked the gutter - so watch out for that. Otherwise, I don't think it's a particularly big deal....

bb
    "Live long, laugh often, love much"
  • irenee
    • 14th Oct 08, 5:00 PM
    • 14th Oct 08, 5:00 PM
    About three years ago the house behind us had its roof scraped free of moss, power blasted and 'sealed'

Guess what?

It now looks just the same as the neighbour's roof which wasn't touched

Complete waste of money

We have an 'L' valley in our roof - I fitted gutter guard netting over the corner area - the moss now gets held above the gutter and mostly blows away when it has dried - not had overflowing at that corner anytime this year
  • illzlee
    • 14th Oct 08, 6:59 PM
    • 14th Oct 08, 6:59 PM
    as has already been said, this is a bit of a waste of time for most. if you have a valley gutter just make sure it's regularly cleared (Yearly). Unless the access to the roof is hideously expensive via built scaffold or cherry picker, when it would be an idea to clear any moss to save in the long term, no-one should need to scrape moss off their roof.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,243Posts Today

6,675Users online

Martin's Twitter