Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 7th Oct 08, 2:00 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    0 WOW
    Section 75 refunds - article discussion
    • 7th Oct 08, 2:00 PM
    0 WOW
    Section 75 refunds - article discussion 7th Oct 08 at 2:00 PM

This discussion relates to the Section 75 refunds article

Click reply to discuss.
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:41 PM.
Page 66
    • shoi
    • By shoi 10th Oct 17, 11:38 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    shoi
    Section 75 is a last resort, you need to communicate with booking.com in the first place, and keep lots of records. Photos. contact details of other guests. Newspaper stories possibly.

Contact booking.com, and lay it on thick and make sure you have copies of you said they said
    • delta13
    • By delta13 12th Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    delta13
    section 75 mobile phone faulty
    Hi,
    I recently bought a Google Pixel mobile phone outright on my credit card. Today the screen went black and it has failed to switch on, charge or do anything, despite my best efforts and the efforts of a Google representative via twitter.
    I bought the phone from Mobiles.co.uk, a company under the Carphone Warehouse umbrella. As the fault developed after 30 days, they will not exchange or refund but their website says I can go to any Carphone Warehouse store for it to be fixed as part of a retailer 12 month warranty.

My problem now is that the Google Pixel isn't listed as one of the handsets they'll be able to repair in store.
    Do you think I will be able to claim via Section 75? The seller can't help me it seems and unless Google can exchange as part of their warranty it I'm stuck with an expensive dud
    • bakerbird
    • By bakerbird 13th Oct 17, 6:29 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bakerbird
    Can anyone please advise?r
    My mother/father in law recently brought a flight to the Isles of Scilly and a hotel on the island (via Booking.com) with their credit card.

After waiting for several hours at Exeter airport they were told the flights were cancelled due to bad weather.

The flight company are refunding their flights but the hotel cost £1000 and they think they won't get their money back.

They were not insured - my FIL has terminal cancer which means any insurance would be very, very expensive.

I am asking if anyone knows if their hotel can be claimed back under Section 75?

My FIL has asked if I can find out for him and time is if the essence.

I appreciate any help.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 13th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 3,803 Thanks
    IAmWales
    My mother/father in law recently brought a flight to the Isles of Scilly and a hotel on the island (via Booking.com) with their credit card.

After waiting for several hours at Exeter airport they were told the flights were cancelled due to bad weather.

The flight company are refunding their flights but the hotel cost £1000 and they think they won't get their money back.

They were not insured - my FIL has terminal cancer which means any insurance would be very, very expensive.

I am asking if anyone knows if their hotel can be claimed back under Section 75?

My FIL has asked if I can find out for him and time is if the essence.

I appreciate any help.
    Originally posted by bakerbird
    Not unless it was bought as part of a package.

For future reference, you can exclude specified conditions when taking out insurance.

Sorry
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 16th Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Why didnt they just fly the next day on another flight?
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 19th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    I love how people never return to answer your questions.
    • jk4472
    • By jk4472 20th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jk4472
    Kitchen dilemma
    Hi,

3 years ago we paid a local company to totally design, manage and install our new kitchen. The value of this was around £18,000. Half way through the project the owner of the company vanished and left it to his part business partner to complete. Now things in the kitchen are faulty, don't work and not everything was delivered or completed. The only thing is we never got a final invoice or anything like that because of the multiple issues that arose. We paid using credit card. Would we be able to claim for faulty/non service/contract not upheld as part of the section 75?

Advice be appreciated.
    • J Naden
    • By J Naden 1st Nov 17, 10:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    J Naden
    Hi - can anyone shed any light on whether you need to live in the UK to claim under section75 or is the rules more around where your credit card company is based? I have a relative who lives in Spain with a NatWest credit card which was used to pay for Mknarch flights but not sure as the address is Spanish if they can claim?
    • Kazzy21
    • By Kazzy21 1st Nov 17, 11:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kazzy21
    After watching the Martin Lewis programme I claimed my flight delay from 2010 with bott&co. I received over £1000 in compensation so thank you Martin for your great advice!!
    • Alina1991
    • By Alina1991 8th Nov 17, 8:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alina1991
    Does anyone know if you can still claim against Sec 75 after receiving a partial refund?

Trying to decide whether to accept £250 for a failed £500 holiday or chance my bets with Sec 75... but we paid through PayPal
    • r.dorward
    • By r.dorward 9th Nov 17, 8:59 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    r.dorward
    Alpha Holidays Limited. Alpharooms.com
    Few weeks ago I posted about booking flights and accommodation with Alpharooms.com the original flight was with Monarch. I tried to get alternative flights from Alpharooms but they said I had to pay for new flights and claim original from bank card issuer. I was issued ATOL Certificate from Alpha Holidays Limited aka Alpharooms.com which clearly states that "We" are protected and Alpha Holidays must offer alternative flights (at no extra cost) Alpharooms.com refuse to honour "their" ATOL Certificate. I contacted various agencies including CAA and they said Alpharooms.com are liable. I sent a copy of the email (along with many others) but Alpharooms.com refuse to answer any emails, I cannot get response by telephone but went on "Chat" on their web site, I was given two calls by two different people, 2nd person told me "quote" I have good news, We have cancelled your holiday at No extra cost."unquote" I did not cancel they did. I received refund for accommodation but not flights.I believe that they Alpharooms.com are wrong but they refuse to communicate probably as I will keep any emails as evidence. What's Next, I tried weeks ago to claim through bank card issuer but as yet nothing.
    • amicuspro
    • By amicuspro 13th Nov 17, 1:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    amicuspro
    We made the mistake of ordering a kitchen through a "well known" national company. After over 9 mths we are still without the remaining items. We are considering a partial Section 75 claim for a portion of the amount. Is this a possibility? We have had additional costs incurred, and over 9 months without a fully-functioning kitchen. I am aware that compensation offered will be derisory. Is our only option going to be small claims? If so then we will get started on that. Deposit paid on CC, total cost within the S75 limits, balance on 12mths interest free credit (which started on original delivery so we need that changing as well).
    • obvious
    • By obvious 22nd Nov 17, 2:28 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    obvious
    The article says there is no s75 cover when
    "buying through a travel agent, where it is simply directing you to get a flight from an airline or a package holiday from a tour operator."

What if payment is taken at the travel company website and you are not redirected to an airline site?

Would that be covered?

Edit. It's a United States based cruise deals website.
    • smokeyjoe99
    • By smokeyjoe99 11th Dec 17, 7:45 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    smokeyjoe99
    John Lewis Partnership Card? Rubbish service!
    rubbish service from JLP Card Services. Submitted a Sect 75 claim 5 weeks ago and yet to get an acknowledgement, let alone a refund. JLP useless at helping me resolve. So much for their much-vaunted service...Phoned card services and they can't get through internally. Gave me a direct line - can't even get engaged on it.
    Called card services again - they're blaming Manarch Airlines traffic...
    Called JLP themselves - promised to help escalate, but the card services STILL won't call me. Contacted JLP M/D, Paula Nickolds, and got a call from an executive customer relations manager, who said I would definitely hear by last Friday. Nothing.
    Called again today, same old story with a twist. "they very busy, and the weather hasn't helped". Have we been snowbound for 5 weeks? Didn't notice... he's promised to get me a call tomorrow morning. Don't believe it.
    alled JLP Head Office, asked for Ms Nickolds office, spoke to one of their senior customer service people. Got yet another promise to get me a response tomorrow.
    never mind responses, updates, etc - WHERE'S MY BL88DY MONEY?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin