Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > 25% discount on Friends and Family Railcard. (sav... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
25% discount on Friends and Family Railcard. (save 6)
Views: 64,441
# 1
MSE Andrea
Old 17-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Forum Editorial Liaison
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default 18 Family & Friends Railcard (25% off)

Post updated 2 February 2009

What's the deal?

Until 31 March, National Rail is offering a 25% discount off the one year Family & Friends Railcard, making it just 18. These cut a third off an adult's ticket and 60% off kids' tickets when you have at least one adult and one child travelling. You can have up to four adults and four kids travel on one card.

How to grab one

The offer's available online only, not at stations. Go to the Family & Friends Railcard website and enter the special code EXPERT25 when registering.

We have permission from National Railcards to give out the offer code.

What you get

As well as a third off most rail fares there's currently also free Youth Hostel Association membership and discounts on eating out. See the full list of offers available on the Railcard Website.

Are there any catches to the railcard?

The Railcard can't be used on weekday morning peak services entirely within the London and South East area. If you're unsure when these times are, as they differ according to the route, then check with your local station or call the National Rail Enquiries line on 08457 48 49 50.

Yet very occasionally some special fares (e.g. cheap London to Manchester) undercut it so check, but for regular train travel it's great.

For more train fare cost-cutting tips, read the full Cheap Train Tickets article

On previous occasions this offer's been on some people waiting until the last day to register have experienced problems so it's advisable to do it at least a few days before it ends.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

PS. Many thanks to MoneySaver ticketcollector for the top spot when it was originally offered last year.

Follow the Forum on Twitter and Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-02-2009 at 7:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MSE Andrea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
ticketcollector
Old 06-10-2008, 7:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default 25% discount on Friends and Family Railcard. (save 6)

Just had the latest internal news magazine at work and have found the following....

Family and Friends Railcard special offer
Family & Friends Railcard are running a special offer promotion with Johnston Press, publishers of the Days Out UK guide, to encourage families to purchase a Railcard. The offer is a 25% discount on a Family & Friends Railcard (making the Railcard 18) and a Days Out UK membership for 4.95 when you purchase a Railcard (usual price 14.99).

The 25% Railcard discount is only redeemable if you purchase online – at www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk - using the discount code FAMILY18 and is not available through ticket offices or telesales.
The Days Out UK offer is a permanent offer, available throughout the year to all Family &Friends Railcard holders.

The offer is valid from 21 September to 30 November and will be promoted through adverts in regional newspapers across the country.
Ex-Employee of a Train Operating Company.
Ticket routing and rules expert.
Been Penalty Fared on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you win your appeal.
Been sent a summons on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you.

Last edited by ticketcollector; 07-10-2008 at 10:53 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ticketcollector For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
icefall
Old 06-10-2008, 7:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

thanks very much

I am about to get one so this is great timing.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got round to it...
# 4
lexa34
Old 06-10-2008, 10:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have hit the thanks button but I thought it was extra nice of you to put this up so thought I would say so!!

Just shame they aren't more flexible in their definition of family!!
Green and minimal chemicals is the new black- I know a fair old bit about sustainability, specially energy and transport stuff. If I can help- please ask!
# 5
spod
Old 07-10-2008, 9:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation Capitalise FAMILY18

Hi, I just tried this - the discount code only works if you type FAMILY18 entirely in capitals.
Also, though it offers renewals, it doesn't seem to allow you to specify when the new railcard is valid from, so you might end up with overlapping railcard validity periods.
# 6
pipz
Old 09-10-2008, 6:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

there was a thread on here a few months ago for a family and friends railcard for 8 pounds - i bought it and have already saved 20 pounds and only used it twice - only prob with it is i cant use it when i travel to london on my own which is very frequent - maybe i should have got a normal single persons railcard???? has been worth it tho
# 7
RichyRich
Old 09-10-2008, 7:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I don't think that there is a normal, single persons railcard (unless you're under 25, disabled, or over 60).

Happy to be corrected, though!
I can't believe you've gone to so much effort to read this.
# 8
nicki
Old 19-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanks for this! I was just about to purchase a 3-year Family & Friends one which would have saved me £8 over the 3 years, instead I used the family code and bought a one year one which has saved me £6. Last year I bought one with the £10 instead of £20 offer so I'm really glad I remembered to check this site!
Total Debt: (31/12/10: 8800.40, 31/12/11:8513.87, 31/12/12:8414.68) 31/12/13 : 8226.88 - not much of a drop but I paid 500 out for DD to go to Paris with school!

Starting to wonder if life will stop throwing poo things at me and let me pay off my debts?

Last edited by nicki; 19-10-2008 at 11:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
dmarks
Old 21-10-2008, 5:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks a lot! Was just looking for one! Happy now..!
# 10
infofreak
Old 21-10-2008, 10:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Silly Question

Hi All. I was just looking at this card and it says you have to travel with at least one child. Does that mean the child has to be there or can you just buy a child's ticket along with an adult one? I know this will be extra cost but could still work out cheaper than paying full fare.:confused:
# 11
zx2011
Old 21-10-2008, 10:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

There is a Railcard for single people(and their families) for those that live in an area from Harwich, King's Lynn, Bedford, Long Buckby, Banbury, Worcester, Bedwyn, Exeter, Weymouth, Isle of Wight(including the ferry crossing) and all the way round the South Coast back to Harwich. See the map for full details http://www.railcard.co.uk/clientfile...CSD4c__A4_.pdf

It's called the Network SouthEast Railcard. (They don't mention the SouthEast but any more though!)

NB: Network SouthEast ceased to be at the end of 1996 but the RailCard still lives on.

It's 20 for 1 year. You get 1/3 off "off peak" rail fares anywhere in the London and the former Network SouthEast area. You take take up to 4 children(60% off) and 3 other adults for the same fare too. There is a minimum fare of 10 per adult ticket Monday To Fridays.

See http://www.railcard.co.uk/network for full details.

Also every special offer by every rail company can be found at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_...toc_index.html

Also if you're visiting London and the South East there are many 2 for 1 deals to many attractions at www.daysoutguide.co.uk

For other ideas try www.visitlondon.com and www.visitsoutheastengland.com
# 12
sparkymark
Old 22-10-2008, 12:14 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

National Express East Anglia (Norfolk Suffolk Essex Cambs) are giving a free first class upgrade to anyone who purchases a family railcard at any of its stations for a half term trip ! (Email voucher)
# 13
InDebted2U
Old 22-10-2008, 9:17 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This is a great offer, although I think I only used our family railcard once last year (but it saved money).

Is there a similar deal about for students? My son is about to renew his but 24 is rather steep.
2014 Targets
run 500 miles (151/500)
lose 50 lbs (11/50)
clear all debts...

achieving 2 out of 3 ain't bad
# 14
the_tired_one
Old 22-10-2008, 9:21 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by infofreak View Post
Hi All. I was just looking at this card and it says you have to travel with at least one child. Does that mean the child has to be there or can you just buy a child's ticket along with an adult one? I know this will be extra cost but could still work out cheaper than paying full fare.:confused:
You have to have the child with you - otherwise you will be asked to pay the full/current fare.
# 15
ihatebt
Old 22-10-2008, 11:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Why don't these train companies just reduce ALL train prices by around 10-15% and do away with these discount railcards?

Surely they would slash their administration costs by doing this and it would help speed up the queues at stations?
# 16
ihatebt
Old 22-10-2008, 11:42 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Ideally they should reduce prices by about 30% as travel by train is still more expensive than using the car.
# 17
Lovely Dad
Old 22-10-2008, 12:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default A better deal if the numbers are right.

I had a family railcard but since our region began selling 4 for 2 tickets & kids go for 1 I've not bothered to renew it as this deal has so far always proved better & I don't have to pay a 24 (or 18) tax up front.

With the family railcard you could, if you were so minded, save a couple of quid over an adult cheap rate one day travel card by buying tickets for one adult and one child, though apparently they can get upset if you're unable to pruduce a child to go with the ticket. You can get this deal from the ticket machines too, it doesn't ask for the railcard but the guard often does when checking tickets on the train. Somehow, though, they never seem to notice the missing child, so I'm told.
# 18
jazman100
Old 22-10-2008, 4:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Family Railcard

i just purchased a family railcard on monday, and i did not know about the discount =25% . does anyone know if i can cancel it and then re-apply for another one with the discount?
# 19
pmjcthomas
Old 22-10-2008, 7:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I've just applied for one through the link in original post. Very easy and I didn't need to upload a photo, nor did I have to use my driver's licence or passport for id.

Thanks for the link!
# 20
jacko136
Old 22-10-2008, 9:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Family railcards

Just bought my railcard online, easy to join, thank you for the tip xx