Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Greaseproof v Baking Parchment? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Greaseproof v Baking Parchment?
Views: 28,263
# 1
Frugalista
Old 06-10-2008, 6:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Greaseproof v Baking Parchment?

What is the difference between greaseproof paper and baking parchment?

Sent OH out to get some greaseproof and he came back with baking parchment "because it was 37p cheaper" - so he does listen to my complaints about cutting costs sometimes

I assume that they are both OK for lining my (greased & lined) cake tins, but what is it about greaseproof paper that makes it more expensive?
"Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Rikki
Old 06-10-2008, 6:30 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalista View Post
What is the difference between greaseproof paper and baking parchment?

Sent OH out to get some greaseproof and he came back with baking parchment "because it was 37p cheaper" - so he does listen to my complaints about cutting costs sometimes

I assume that they are both OK for lining my (greased & lined) cake tins, but what is it about greaseproof paper that makes it more expensive?
It makes better tracing paper for the kids? :confused:
2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
NPFM 21
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rikki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Dee140157
Old 06-10-2008, 6:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I always use baking parchment when cooking. I rarely if ever use greaseproof. The advantage to baking parchement is that you just cut and put in tin. No need to grease etc. (Except edges of pan if eg making a cake. Nothing ever stcks to it. My kids once made flapjacks and lined with greaseproof. I didn't realise and then when cold tried to take off paper. Impossible. The whole lot ended up in the bin!
Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dee140157 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Debt_Free_Chick
Old 06-10-2008, 6:54 PM

Agree that parchment seems to be better for lining cake tins.

No idea of the difference though - but they "feel" different :confused:
Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac
The Following User Says Thank You to Debt_Free_Chick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
suzybloo
Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Ha Ha Dee I done that this weekend - thought I was the only one!!!! didnt realise there was a difference so all my flapjacks went in the bin too!!!! Glad I am not alone. (picked a fair bit off and they were lovely but ended up chewing the paper half the time!)
August 2014 7/250
# 6
luckys mum
Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Baking Parchment is great at Christmas for shortbread biscuits. you can reuse it for a few times and saves washing the baking sheet each time
The Following User Says Thank You to luckys mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
catnap53
Old 06-10-2008, 11:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I haven't used greaseproof for years since I found parchment, it was more expensive in those days but haven't checked recently.

I haven't found anything to stick to it yet and as already posted it can be reused several times if it isn't actually greasy, like for bread rolls, hobnobs etc. When it looks a bit tired I use it for oven chips, wedges, fish or chicken etc in the oven. Saves a lot of washing up of greasy baking trays.

Zzzz

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catnap53 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Gangstabird
Old 07-10-2008, 1:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Always better to invest in quality non stick stuff though that you only need wipe with your hands using butter/oil and you don't actually need this stuff.

Perhaps this should be my signature. If you are going to bake and know that you are doing loads of it. Use quality baking stuff. Saves fortunes
# 9
Gryfon
Old 09-12-2008, 2:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Stupid question, any difference between baking parchment and greaseproof paper?

I need to cover my Christmas pud to steam and it says use baking parchment of which I don't have nearly enough, but I do have loads of greaseproof paper?

Will I be alright? There's nothing I'm missing if I change it is there? Need to get my pudding steaming so I'm not up all night!
Fluttering about an inch off the ground, I may fly properly one day and soar in the clouds!

SPC2 #571 - trying to get as much as possible
The Following User Says Thank You to Gryfon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Pink.
Old 09-12-2008, 3:01 PM

Hi Gryfon,

It's not a stupid question! There was a recent thread on this which should help so I've added your post to it to keep the replies together.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 11
Gryfon
Old 09-12-2008, 3:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks. It's only going on the top of the basin and shouldn't stick the the pudding but I shall grease the bottom just in case!
Fluttering about an inch off the ground, I may fly properly one day and soar in the clouds!

SPC2 #571 - trying to get as much as possible
The Following User Says Thank You to Gryfon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
safesound
Old 09-12-2008, 4:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm steaming my pudding as we speak and I used greasproof for both this one and the one I did on Sunday. It works fine, but I always add a layer of foil over the top as I'm paranoid the water will get in and ruin the pud... but thats just me =)
Gorgeous boy born 11 April 2012