Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Frugalista
    Greaseproof v Baking Parchment?
    • 6th Oct 08, 6:25 PM
    Greaseproof v Baking Parchment? 6th Oct 08 at 6:25 PM
    What is the difference between greaseproof paper and baking parchment?

Sent OH out to get some greaseproof and he came back with baking parchment "because it was 37p cheaper" - so he does listen to my complaints about cutting costs sometimes

I assume that they are both OK for lining my (greased & lined) cake tins, but what is it about greaseproof paper that makes it more expensive?
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
Page 1
  • Rikki
    • 6th Oct 08, 6:30 PM
    • 6th Oct 08, 6:30 PM
    What is the difference between greaseproof paper and baking parchment?

Sent OH out to get some greaseproof and he came back with baking parchment "because it was 37p cheaper" - so he does listen to my complaints about cutting costs sometimes

I assume that they are both OK for lining my (greased & lined) cake tins, but what is it about greaseproof paper that makes it more expensive?
    Originally posted by Frugalista
    It makes better tracing paper for the kids? :confused:
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • Dee140157
    • By Dee140157 6th Oct 08, 6:52 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 7,793 Thanks
    Dee140157
    • 6th Oct 08, 6:52 PM
    • 6th Oct 08, 6:52 PM
    I always use baking parchment when cooking. I rarely if ever use greaseproof. The advantage to baking parchement is that you just cut and put in tin. No need to grease etc. (Except edges of pan if eg making a cake. Nothing ever stcks to it. My kids once made flapjacks and lined with greaseproof. I didn't realise and then when cold tried to take off paper. Impossible. The whole lot ended up in the bin!
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    • 6th Oct 08, 6:54 PM
    • 6th Oct 08, 6:54 PM
    Agree that parchment seems to be better for lining cake tins.

No idea of the difference though - but they "feel" different :confused:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac
    • suzybloo
    • By suzybloo 6th Oct 08, 10:44 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 8,608 Thanks
    suzybloo
    • 6th Oct 08, 10:44 PM
    • 6th Oct 08, 10:44 PM
    Ha Ha Dee I done that this weekend - thought I was the only one!!!! didnt realise there was a difference so all my flapjacks went in the bin too!!!! Glad I am not alone. (picked a fair bit off and they were lovely but ended up chewing the paper half the time!)
    This year so far:

grocery spending jan : 125 - 148 spent :
    feb 160 - 42.33 upto 06/02
    Incidentals jan 100 -102 spent :feb 80
    Ebay earnings 2015 - 12-> 06/02
  • luckys mum
    • 6th Oct 08, 10:55 PM
    • 6th Oct 08, 10:55 PM
    Baking Parchment is great at Christmas for shortbread biscuits. you can reuse it for a few times and saves washing the baking sheet each time
  • catnap53
    • 6th Oct 08, 11:41 PM
    • 6th Oct 08, 11:41 PM
    I haven't used greaseproof for years since I found parchment, it was more expensive in those days but haven't checked recently.

I haven't found anything to stick to it yet and as already posted it can be reused several times if it isn't actually greasy, like for bread rolls, hobnobs etc. When it looks a bit tired I use it for oven chips, wedges, fish or chicken etc in the oven. Saves a lot of washing up of greasy baking trays.

Zzzz

• Gangstabird
    • 7th Oct 08, 1:11 AM
    • 7th Oct 08, 1:11 AM
    Always better to invest in quality non stick stuff though that you only need wipe with your hands using butter/oil and you don't actually need this stuff.

Perhaps this should be my signature. If you are going to bake and know that you are doing loads of it. Use quality baking stuff. Saves fortunes
  • Gryfon
    • 9th Dec 08, 2:58 PM
    Stupid question, any difference between baking parchment and greaseproof paper?
    • 9th Dec 08, 2:58 PM
    I need to cover my Christmas pud to steam and it says use baking parchment of which I don't have nearly enough, but I do have loads of greaseproof paper?

Will I be alright? There's nothing I'm missing if I change it is there? Need to get my pudding steaming so I'm not up all night!
    Fluttering about an inch off the ground, I may fly properly one day and soar in the clouds!

SPC2 #571 - trying to get as much as possible
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 9th Dec 08, 3:01 PM
    • 17,527 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Gryfon,

It's not a stupid question! There was a recent thread on this which should help so I've added your post to it to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • Gryfon
    Thanks. It's only going on the top of the basin and shouldn't stick the the pudding but I shall grease the bottom just in case!
    Fluttering about an inch off the ground, I may fly properly one day and soar in the clouds!

SPC2 #571 - trying to get as much as possible
  • safesound
    I'm steaming my pudding as we speak and I used greasproof for both this one and the one I did on Sunday. It works fine, but I always add a layer of foil over the top as I'm paranoid the water will get in and ruin the pud... but thats just me =)
    Gorgeous boy born 11 April 2012

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,699Posts Today

7,301Users online

Martin's Twitter