IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
DLA and Sleep Aponea
Closed Thread
Views: 10,206
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
jasonwatkins
Old 04-10-2008, 8:00 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,835
Default DLA and Sleep Aponea

I've applied for DLA three times before and been knocked back every time. I suffer from Obstructive Sleep Aponea which also brings with it a range of problems, but it's almost like the DLA assessors don't really see it as a problem.

Just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation and has received DLA for Sleep Aponea ?
jasonwatkins is offline
Report Post
# 2
jetcat
Old 04-10-2008, 10:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: north east
Posts: 740
Default

hi,

i too have sleep apnea, and while i do claim dla, it is for other problems mainly. I remember at one of my many appeal tribunals, the medical member of the tribunal said that my apnea shouldnt cause any night time needs, as once i use my cpap machine, it is well controlled. He was right tbh, but eventually we got it included, under mental health descriptors - need prompting to use it.

If you have a cpap machine, do you have the periodic checks where they monitor you through the night, to check you breathing levels etc? If so, maybe you could obtain a copy, and include that with your dla application?

I know that sleep apnea causes other problems as well, maybe have a chat with your sleep clinic, to see if they have any experience with other patients claiming?

sorry i cant be more help!
jetcat is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jetcat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
calleyw
Old 04-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Winter Wonderland
Posts: 6,251
Default

Don't forget it is not about the condition itself you have but the care/mobility needs that arise from it.

So you say it causes problems but what problems.

The forms are pigs to fill in, I know I have to help my husband. But if you word it right and explain in detail what the problems that really helps.

I have been moaned at before by saying it is hard to get. So I will say you can get it as long as you fill it in correctly you will get it. If you are struggling then get help be it from some in a professional capacity.

All the best.

Yours


Calley
calleyw is offline
Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calleyw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Conor
Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 AM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,814
Default

There is nothing in Sleep Apnoea which affects your mobility or requires you needing care to the point where you qualify for DLA which is why you've been refused. For example, you can still dress yourself, still feed yourself, still wash yourself and you're capable of walking unaided and without supervision.
Conor is offline
Report Post
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Conor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
jasonwatkins
Old 04-10-2008, 9:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcat View Post
as once i use my cpap machine, it is well controlled. He was right tbh, but eventually we got it included, under mental health descriptors - need prompting to use it.
That's an interesting point because I just can't use my CPAP machine. Can't cope with it at all and whenever I do remember to wear it, it really doesn't affect me in any aspect. I live on my own, but I guess if someone was with me then they'd certainly have to make sure I wore it.

(Not that it would do any good mind )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcat View Post
sorry i cant be more help!
You've been very helpful. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
There is nothing in Sleep Apnoea which affects your mobility or requires you needing care to the point where you qualify for DLA which is why you've been refused. For example, you can still dress yourself, still feed yourself, still wash yourself and you're capable of walking unaided and without supervision.
While I'd agree there's nothing that overly affects your mobility, there are other factors that do sometimes need a bit of a nudge in the right direction.

My mum does come over a few times a week just to help keep the place clean and tidy because more often than not, i'm just too tired to bother. She also does some shopping for me for "real" food because I usually tend to just get quick and convenient stuff because I can never be bothered to cook anything.

It also does cause frequent bouts of depression which vary in severity, so again she has to trapse all the way over from Gravesend in Kent to Essex by public transport to give me the appropriate kick up the backside and drag me out of the flat.

So there is a degree of needing help there, but i'm just not sure if it would apply to DLA.
jasonwatkins is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonwatkins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
KimYeovil
Old 04-10-2008, 9:41 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwatkins View Post
My mum does come over a few times a week just to help keep the place clean and tidy because more often than not, i'm just too tired to bother. She also does some shopping for me for "real" food because I usually tend to just get quick and convenient stuff because I can never be bothered to cook anything.
I do think being a bloke may be a disability but it hardly warrants extra allowances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwatkins View Post
It also does cause frequent bouts of depression which vary in severity, so again she has to trapse all the way over from Gravesend in Kent to Essex by public transport to give me the appropriate kick up the backside and drag me out of the flat.
If it just takes a kick up the backside then it is not depression. Please do not cheapen this savagely debilitating condition by using it lightly.
KimYeovil is offline
Report Post
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to KimYeovil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Sherrie
Old 05-10-2008, 12:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 61
Default

Jason,

You really need to start using your cpap. My partner has sleep apnoea, before he was diagnosed he was practically hallucinating, he would fall asleep in mid conversation, it was too lethal for him to even drive. When he was taken into hospital for checks, they discovered his sats level (oxygen) was virtually non existant and they were suprised and shocked he was still standing. They put him on a cpap machine and for the first time in months he had an amazing nights sleep, and so did I when he came home a few nights later because he couldn't snore!!

What I'm trying to say is that it would improve your life immensly if you were to use your cpap every night

good luck
Sherrie is offline
Report Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sherrie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
SuziQ
Old 05-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie View Post
Jason,

You really need to start using your cpap. My partner has sleep apnoea, before he was diagnosed he was practically hallucinating, he would fall asleep in mid conversation, it was too lethal for him to even drive. When he was taken into hospital for checks, they discovered his sats level (oxygen) was virtually non existant and they were suprised and shocked he was still standing. They put him on a cpap machine and for the first time in months he had an amazing nights sleep, and so did I when he came home a few nights later because he couldn't snore!!

What I'm trying to say is that it would improve your life immensly if you were to use your cpap every night

good luck
Sherries' advice is spot on. Are you aware that sleep apnoea puts an enormous strain on your heart if not corrected? The treatment is given for very important reasons. If you 'can't get on with it' you need to go back to your specialist and discuss why/what adaptions they can advise,otherwise you are taking an unnecessary risk with your health.
Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
SuziQ is offline
Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
jetcat
Old 05-10-2008, 10:11 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: north east
Posts: 740
Default

i too would echo sherrie and susiq's advice. If you really cant manage the cpap, then you need help with finding a device you can use. I know there are different mask fittings available, as well as machines with built in humidifiers which can make it a little easier to use. Have you (op) had the cpap long? They do take some getting used to!! I know even when i have a blocked nose due to a cold, and cant use cpap for one or two nights, it is really hard adjusting to it even after a 2 night break!

But, I def understand what you are saying about the apnea causing day time problems, as during those one or two days, i am soooo tired! However, i think that maybe it is a case of going back to your sleep clinic and chasing up the right machine, as then you should feel loads better, and won't need to chase the dla.


Just to clarify, in my first post i said that i eventually got 'some' consideration of my sleep apnea in my dla form, as i needed prompting to use the cpap. I would like to point out that it is not a case of "remembering" to use it, more so when my depression is bad, i just cant see the point of living, and as pointed out by another poster, not to use cpap is a serious risk to health, so I figure if anything happened during the night..(breathing wise)... would i be that bothered!

Last edited by jetcat; 05-10-2008 at 10:17 AM.
jetcat is offline
Report Post
# 10
jasonwatkins
Old 05-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimYeovil View Post
I do think being a bloke may be a disability but it hardly warrants extra allowances.
Sweeping generalisation noted ... I assume "all" men are b*stards as well huh? :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimYeovil View Post
If it just takes a kick up the backside then it is not depression. Please do not cheapen this savagely debilitating condition by using it lightly
If my comments have offended or upset you then I do sincerely apologise. I do know what depression is as I have been diagnosed with it in the past and have been on anti-depressants many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie View Post
You really need to start using your cpap.
I have honestly tried. Many years ago, I had one of the original models that was very noisy, and I perservered with it for a month - wore it every single night, and I felt more tired through wearing it than when I didn't. I was concentrating so hard on trying to sleep, sleeping was the last thing I ended up doing.

The new model I have is much quieter, so it's slightly easier to drop off, but then since i'm such a restless sleeper and a major fidget, I end up with the pipe wrapped round my neck or another favourite is when I turn in bed, it knocks the mask loose, so i get a blast of oxygen in my face which wakes me up.

So invariably, I end up taking it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
If you 'can't get on with it' you need to go back to your specialist and discuss why/what adaptions they can advise
I do attend the clinic at the royal brompton hospital in london regularly, and i'm due to have a follow up in about 8 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcat View Post
If you really cant manage the cpap, then you need help with finding a device you can use.
I'd be quite open to a different device if there was such a thing - i can't use the nasal mask due to not being able to breathe through my nose all that well.

I've had the mouth splint thing as well, and that just didn't do anything for me either - i wore that for 6 weeks straight and did't notice any major effect on my overall daytime tiredness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcat View Post
Just to clarify, in my first post i said that i eventually got 'some' consideration of my sleep apnea in my dla form, as i needed prompting to use the cpap. I would like to point out that it is not a case of "remembering" to use it, more so when my depression is bad, i just cant see the point of living, and as pointed out by another poster, not to use cpap is a serious risk to health, so I figure if anything happened during the night..(breathing wise)... would i be that bothered!
Ahhh ok. Thanks for that
jasonwatkins is offline
Report Post
# 11
Sherrie
Old 05-10-2008, 2:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 61
Default

Jason

I can completely understand where you're coming from relating noise etc, when my partner first brought his cpap home I was really annoyed that I would have to sleep next to him with this noise blaring out but soon got used to it, and i'm an incredibly light sleeper. so I can't begin to imagine what it must be like for the user to have to wear it. Although like you say the newer ones are whisper quiet. If you find it difficult lying on your back to sleep with it on, try lying on your side facing the cpap that way you can't get tangled in it.

You don't say how old you are. I'm sure you've been told all the health risks, and I know its far easier said than done, but you will get your life back if you can persevere with the cpap and you won't need to claim DLA, you will feel like a new person!
Sherrie is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Sherrie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Mips
Old 05-10-2008, 2:54 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: above it all
Posts: 17,155
Default

Why don't you fall asleep during the appeal ?
Mips is offline
Report Post
# 13
jasonwatkins
Old 05-10-2008, 3:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie View Post
If you find it difficult lying on your back to sleep with it on, try lying on your side facing the cpap that way you can't get tangled in it.
That's really the main thing that I can't really get on with - It's difficult to explain, but if you imagine a young child playing statues and they're really concentrating on not moving, and if they move they have to adjust slightly to make out they didn't move.

That's how I feel when I try to sleep with the mask on - I'm constantly concentrating on not moving so I don't dislodge the mask or mess up the pipe. Every time I move my head, i consciously (and probably unconsciously) adjust the pipe so there's enough slack in case I move more.

I've never been a "corpse" sleeper - I don't lay in bed in one position and sleep, i'm all over the shop until I finally drop off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie View Post
You don't say how old you are
I'm 38, single and live on my own (even though that sounded like a response to a dating advert ).

I'm aware of all the associated risks and problems with it which is part of the reason I went completely teetotal about 15 years ago. I'll probably give my machine another try because of my follow up in 8 weeks, but i'd say at the moment it's very likely i'll be handing it back when I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippychick View Post
Why don't you fall asleep during the appeal ?
When I had my first review for Incapacity Benefit about 8 years ago, I actually did do that. The "doctor" didn't notice though as he never stopped staring at his PC. I was actually knocked back for Incap after that review as well
jasonwatkins is offline
Report Post
# 14
needabargainorjusthelp
Old 26-05-2009, 11:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
There is nothing in Sleep Apnoea which affects your mobility or requires you needing care to the point where you qualify for DLA which is why you've been refused. For example, you can still dress yourself, still feed yourself, still wash yourself and you're capable of walking unaided and without supervision.

I am shocked by this after living with my partner who has just been diagonised with sleep apnea, his care needs are high, he can not drive for more thah thirty minutes at a time, he has to be supervised when eating or drinking so he does not fall asleep, can not attend appointments as he falls asleep, can not use public transport & can only look after his son for short preiods & needs constant phone calls to make sure he is awake & and can not attend work because of this, it has caused him severe memory loss, he has to be reminded to pick up his medication & take it. this is just a few of the things i have experienced so far, let alone the fact that when out with freinds he reguarly is nodding off.
needabargainorjusthelp is offline
Report Post
# 15
Loopy Girl
Old 26-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,158
Default

He needs this level of care and is still allowed to drive? Scary
Loopy Girl is offline
Report Post
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Loopy Girl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Oldernotwiser
Old 27-05-2009, 7:31 AM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 35,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by needabargainorjusthelp View Post
I am shocked by this after living with my partner who has just been diagonised with sleep apnea, his care needs are high, he can not drive for more thah thirty minutes at a time, he has to be supervised when eating or drinking so he does not fall asleep, can not attend appointments as he falls asleep, can not use public transport & can only look after his son for short preiods & needs constant phone calls to make sure he is awake & and can not attend work because of this, it has caused him severe memory loss, he has to be reminded to pick up his medication & take it. this is just a few of the things i have experienced so far, let alone the fact that when out with freinds he reguarly is nodding off.
You don't mention any treatment. Does he have a cpap and does he use it?
Oldernotwiser is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldernotwiser For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
sandraroffey
Old 27-05-2009, 7:33 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,345
Default

have to mention here that sleep apneoa (wrongly spelt i know) is a notifiable condition regards driving!!!!!!

if you have it, you are most definately NOT allowed to drive - you are supposed to tell DVLA.

my ex husband had this and the doc at the hospital told us just that.
sandraroffey is offline
Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sandraroffey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
seven-day-weekend
Old 27-05-2009, 7:51 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: HOME! West Midlands, England
Posts: 22,828
Default

My friend had his driving licence removed until his sleep apnoea was controlled with one of those breathing masks.

He has now got his licence back and the mask has made such a huge difference to his life. He doesn't need the type of care that would warrant DLA, but I suppose cases vary.
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
seven-day-weekend is online now
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to seven-day-weekend For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
needabargainorjusthelp
Old 27-05-2009, 6:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 58
Default

he has only recently been diagonsed so a lot of the things we have had to put in place where already being done before his diagonosis, for safety it was obvouis that driving is unsafe and he only does short journeys that he can cope with if he can not then i have to drive, i just think it is shocking that people think people with sleep apnea (sorry if i spelt it wrong but no one has given me any leaflets on it and it varys on the internet) need no extra care.
needabargainorjusthelp is offline
Report Post
# 20
mealone
Old 27-05-2009, 7:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by needabargainorjusthelp View Post
he has only recently been diagonsed so a lot of the things we have had to put in place where already being done before his diagonosis, for safety it was obvouis that driving is unsafe and he only does short journeys that he can cope with if he can not then i have to drive, i just think it is shocking that people think people with sleep apnea (sorry if i spelt it wrong but no one has given me any leaflets on it and it varys on the internet) need no extra care.
He dosnt have a driving licence if he has failed to report a notifiable illness, nor insurance, it is invalidated.

Driving short distances is actually statistically more dangerous for all drivers and add in that he shouldnt be driving, hes an accident waiting to happen.

What about the innocent people he could kill or maim by being unfit to drive?

He needs his keys taken from him until the DVLA say he is fit to drive.

Last edited by mealone; 27-05-2009 at 8:08 PM.
mealone is offline
Report Post
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mealone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 4:10 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 29 October 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSBBC RADIO 1'S LIVE LOUNGE 2014
  • TAYLOR SWIFT1989 (DELUXE)
  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.