Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > Wireless network connected, but can't get online (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Wireless network connected, but can't get online
Closed Thread
Views: 86,140
# 1
jimmy_g
Old 29-11-2005, 2:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Wireless network connected, but can't get online

I'm a little frustrated. In our flat we have set up a wireless network; the router was set up through another computer and 3 people are online through it. I've got my adaptor set up and it is showing as connected to the wireless network, but I can't connect to the internet. I've tried for hours to work out which settings I need to alter and I've had a look through the forum for the same problem, but can't find anyone in exactly the same boat.

The two others (IE not the lad who set up the router) in the flat who have managed to connect aren't much use because they don't know how they managed it!!!

Please, please help!!!

Last edited by MSE Archna; 13-06-2006 at 5:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy_g For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
mike_paterson
Old 29-11-2005, 3:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

If the others can access the internet, then we have to assume that the router is connected correctly.
Therefore it must be the settings on your computer. You should try the Internet connection Wizard from help. If you cannot do that, take a look at Internet explorer - Tools - Internet Options - Connections Tab - It should have 'never dial a connection' selected. Hit the Lan Settings button and select 'automatically detect settings'

Let us know if this helps
To infinity and beyond!
The Following User Says Thank You to mike_paterson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
albertross
Old 29-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Try Mike's tip, if you are still having problems, we need a bit more info to help..

What router, wireless card, Operating system are you using. Do you use a software firewall, if so which one?

Can you connect to the router using a physical ethernet lead, and
if so does the internet work using that?

The ping command sends a sonar type ping to another computer/website/router - it's the tool used to identify if your PC can see any other computers. If ping works, you will get a reply like this
Reply from 66.102.9.104: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=244
if it fails, you will get a Request timed out message.

Try these command from a Dos prompt (start, run cmd (or command)) and post back with the results

ping 127.0.0.1 - if this works, you have tcp/ip installed (good).
ping 192.168.0.1 - can you talk to the router?
ipconfig /release - Drop the ip address assigned to your PC
ipconfig /renew - Pickup a new address from the router.

ping www.google.com - if this works, but IE doesn't, then this indicates problems with your IE config (Tools/internet options/connections/lan settings screen)

ping 66.102.9.104 if this works, but pinging google doesn't, then you have a dns problem (the dns server translates the name google to the ip address, a basic function required for the internet to function)

Let us know how you get on..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albertross For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Andy Harris
Old 30-11-2005, 10:19 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Have you put your MAC address into your computer, I know nothing about it, but I know that everytime I upgrade my PDA/Phone/Laptop I have to go to my netgear space (I input http://netgear7*** amd add a MAC address to the wireless setting, and this seems to work, if I do not add the MAC address I can 'see' the router, but not 'talk' to me.
Hope this helps

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy Harris For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
jakemuk
Old 30-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

check the acsess control on firebox/pix
The Following User Says Thank You to jakemuk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
jimmy_g
Old 01-12-2005, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for your advice gentlemen, I tried Mike's without success and haven't got an ethernet connection on my pc to try albert's. I have just reinstalled my adaptor whilst the router was connected to the administrator pc via ethernet cable, then used set up network wizard again - it's worked!!!

Thanks again for your suggestions.
# 7
misspriscilla
Old 23-12-2005, 2:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi Albatross, I have a similar problem. I tried to put a password onto my broadband connection, I only succeeded in messing everything up.I have three computers on this network, After my failed attempt on the broadband connection, I couldn't do anything with any of them. Netgear helped to reset the router and the wireless access point on the first computer, and now that works ok. The desktop,which is the one I attempted to put the password on, cannot access the web, it connects to the network, but when I try to go online it 'can't find server' can't find host in OE. I tried some of the test inCMD Ping 192.168.0.1 replied packets sent =4 received =0 lost =4 100% lost
I then tried ipconfig/release reply: failed as no adaptor is in the state permissable for this operation. Device manager says this adaptor is working OK. I might add the third computer will only work whilst is in close proximity to the router. Belkin says that may be a faulty card.I have changed it once already.
I would appreciate any help you may offer
Thanks
# 8
lamb-for-the-slaughter
Old 08-03-2006, 10:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi

I have a similar problem with my wireless broadband, since Tiny refuse to honour their warranty on my laptop (which cost 500) I've come here for help.

I realise I need to post a ipconfig /all command to help with the diagnosis and I will do so as soon as I get a chance. I thought I'd just post a brief outline of my problem.

Basically my wireless LAN has stopped being able to access the internet via broadband. The connection is hosted by the guy in the flat below, he has very kindly allowed us to use his broadband for free. My girlfriend and other people in the flats below have had no problems with their access. It started off working fine for me and then it began to kick me out after 30mins online. It would then refuse me to log back on eventhough it shows it's connected and the signal strength is excellent. Now it won't let me access broadband at all through IE or Firefox, though dial-up still works but is obviously very slow.

I did have ZoneAlarms installed but I have taken it off now at the suggestion of the guy downstairs that owns the connection. He knows his stuff as he works in IT but he can't find my problem and now suggests I back up everything and re-load the entire system from scratch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
# 9
albertross
Old 08-03-2006, 10:11 PM

removing zonealarm could expose your PC to hacking, if every neighbour in the block is attaching to the router.

can you ping the routers ip address?

it could be interference from a video sender, cordless phone, someone else's router.
Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:

Last edited by albertross; 08-03-2006 at 10:14 PM.
# 10
GreenNotM
Old 08-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspriscilla
I then tried ipconfig/release reply: failed as no adaptor is in the state permissable for this operation. Device manager says this adaptor is working OK.

I might add the third computer will only work whilst is in close proximity to the router. Belkin says that may be a faulty card.I have changed it once already.
I would appreciate any help you may offer
Thanks
Priscilla - do the cmd then type " ipconfig/all" look for the line DHCP enabled - if it is no you are not set to get an address from the router

get back will talk you thru setting that to yes.

As per the card have you other wireless cards that work at a distance from the router ? If so you may have another duff card - but first try to update the driver. HTH
Rich people save then spend.
Poor people spend then save what's left.
# 11
albertross
Old 08-03-2006, 10:52 PM

I assume priscilla is ok now, as she hasn't followed her post up for 2.5 months, lamb has resurrected the thread..
# 12
GreenNotM
Old 08-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb-for-the-slaughter
Now it won't let me access broadband at all through IE or Firefox, though dial-up still works but is obviously very slow.
have a look in IE Tool menu >> internet options >> connections tab >> you should have clicked on never dial a coonection .

Then under the "LAN Setting " button ensure you do not have a proxy server set up.
HTH till u get ur ipconfig/all details here
# 13
GreenNotM
Old 08-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertross
I assume priscilla is ok now, as she hasn't followed her post up for 2.5 months, lamb has resurrected the thread..
just answered lambs post - may delete it now .....

thanks albertross
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenNotM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
lamb-for-the-slaughter
Old 09-03-2006, 12:10 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Wow! Thanks guys, you were quick!

Ok, firstly the IE connection settings are all correct (never dial a connection and no proxy set up, but has automatic detection on).

Here are results for pings:

ping 127.0.0.1 - Reply: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128 (good)
ping 192.168.0.1 - request timed out
ipconfig /release - "The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation."
ipconfig /renew - "The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation."

ping www.google.com: "Ping request could not find host."

ping 66.102.9.104: request timed out

ipconfig/all:

Windows IP configuration:

Primary DNS suffix: (there was nothing displayed here)
Node type: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter WNC:

Media state: Disconnected
Description: Wireless Mini PCI Card Model 0508

Ethernet adapter LAC:

Media state: Disconnected
Description: VIA PCI 10/100mb Fast Ethernet Adapter

Is that all the info you need? (BTW Is it safe for me to put this on the net for all to see?I'm paranoid as well as ignorant)

Thanks again for the assistance.

Last edited by lamb-for-the-slaughter; 09-03-2006 at 12:26 AM.
# 15
albertross
Old 09-03-2006, 12:24 AM

I'd remove the host name, and physical address details..

Has your neighbour setup any security (ssid broadcasting off, mac address filtering) or encryption on his router, any changes in that area will mess up your connection.

Did he issue you with an encryption key.

It is going to be difficult to do any diagnosis, unless you have access and proximity to the router, the only thing I can suggest is to delete all your wireless connection settings, and re-enter them.

you could download netstumbler, to see if you can see his router at all..

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

and turn zonealarm back on, to give you some protection if you manage to reconnect.

Last edited by albertross; 09-03-2006 at 12:32 AM.
# 16
lamb-for-the-slaughter
Old 09-03-2006, 12:27 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Done!

Thanks for that, I'm glad I asked!
# 17
albertross
Old 09-03-2006, 12:36 AM

Earlier post edited..

Have you tried right clicking on the wireless icon and doing a repair connection?
The Following User Says Thank You to albertross For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Chippy_Minton
Old 09-03-2006, 12:50 AM

Firstly reboot your computer. Then click Start - Connect To - Show all connections. What is the Status of Wireless Network Connection? If 'Disabled', enable it. Try double-clicking Wireless Network Connection. If not connected, this will show a window containing all wireless networks; click Refresh network list to see if your neighbour's wireless network appears and if it does click Connect.
# 19
lamb-for-the-slaughter
Old 09-03-2006, 1:00 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have tried repairing the connection but get message " Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed: Connecting to the wireless network. For assistance contact the person who manages your network." (He has seen this message).

Yes, I was given a encryption key.

I'll try and get that other info from my neighbour. However, no one else has these problems with access, wouldn't the security settings effect the other systems too? Another point I should explain is that I'm living in Germany at the moment although the laptop was brought in the UK. Maybe this explains why my system fails while all the others are successful?

Chippy- The wireless network is 'not connected' I double click and the screen asks me to choose a wireless connection from a list. I select my neighbour's network. It says 'not connected' but in the text block it says "This network requires a network key (which I have). You are currently connected to this network. To disconnect from this network, click Disconnect below" (there is an option to disconnect.) I seems strange that the system tells me I am 'not connected' but then tells me I am connected and tells me how to disconnect. Does the system have a bug?

Cheers for your time guys!

Last edited by lamb-for-the-slaughter; 09-03-2006 at 1:14 AM.
# 20
albertross
Old 09-03-2006, 1:12 AM

Are you using the same channel?

I'd try deleting all your wireless details, and re-entering them if you can't connect at all (making sure that your numlock isn't on).

The wireless dropping off after 30 minutes, sounds like an interference, or wireless signal dropping error. But if you cannot connect at all at the moment, it may be best to sit next to the router, and re-enter all the info, to rule out wireless signal problems (unless you have done this already).

Is this in-built wireless, or a dongle, if the latter, could you try (borrow) another dongle/PCMCIA card?

Last edited by albertross; 09-03-2006 at 1:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to albertross For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread