Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Rossendales Debt Collection Company (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Rossendales Debt Collection Company
Closed Thread
Views: 10,733
# 1
BYALPHAINDIA
Old 30-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Rossendales Debt Collection Company

Had dealings with these last year, They are Debt Collectors who work for Council Tax collections.

They send you letters all the time, Threatning to come & take the 3 piece suite away.

They demanded 40.00 per week for my Council Tax bill of 1,000

I told them innocently that it was too much and they still kept sending letters.

The Tax was owed to a local Council in West Yorkshire, So why was a Lancashire company doing the work?

I eventually settled the money.

But they were really onto you thou, Saying in the letters - When the van comes etc...........

Anyone else had any dealings with them?
# 2
RadoJo
Old 01-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I guess if you owe the money they are entitled to pursue you. People who don't pay council tax cost everyone who does more, so I can understand why councils make an effort to pursue those who evade their responsiblities as otherwise they would not be able to provide services to those who really need them.

Unless I am misunderstanding your post and you didn't actually owe the money, I am not sure what the warning or rip off is?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RadoJo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
frasersmum123
Old 01-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Were they trying to pursue a legitimate debt? If so, and its a council tax debt, then they will pursue it hard.
Save £12k in 2014 #217 Target £57.14/£1500 ~ 3.57%
The Following User Says Thank You to frasersmum123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
maninthestreet
Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYALPHAINDIA View Post
They demanded 40.00 per week for my Council Tax bill of 1,000

I told them innocently that it was too much and they still kept sending letters.

The Tax was owed to a local Council in West Yorkshire, So why was a Lancashire company doing the work?

I eventually settled the money.
You expected them to go away because you told them they were asking for too much? What's wrong with West Yorkshire council employing a firm based in Lancashire?
The Following User Says Thank You to maninthestreet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
stebiz
Old 01-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I understand were the OP is coming from. I have had similar issues to him/her to Rossendales. At the time I offered what I could afford and it just wasn't enough. However Council Tax is different than other debts. You can go to jail. It must be very high on the 'to be paid' list, next to secured debts.

I guess Rossendales have so many wasters, they find it hard to weed out the 'won't pay' and 'can't payers'. In the end I completed an Income and Expenditure and passed on all the details to my MP, who kindly sorted it out for me. At the time I fell into the 'can't pay category', I found them very pressurizing. I was ill at the time and to hear on a regular basis that they were sending bailiffs around, made me 10 times worse.

Stebiz
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
The Following User Says Thank You to stebiz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
BYALPHAINDIA
Old 01-10-2008, 6:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think I need to 'reitarate' the point of the post.

I am not disputing Council Tax, The issue was the attitude of the company - A kind of 'Blackmail'

I offered to pay x amount like STEBZ? but has he/she said that was not enough to them.

It is company's like this who cause dispair for people who may be already hard hit.

I don't think some people understand what I am complaining about.
# 7
MellyG
Old 17-02-2009, 4:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation Rossendales Debt Collection Agency

Take warning this company will break the law and become violent to get money from you, whether you owe it or not.

I had Rossendales turn up at my door for a Council Tax debt that was still subject to an appeal, so it was undecided whether I even owed the money. They had been given the debt 10 months ago, I had never received a letter or telephone call from them, I had never heard of them.

The man at the door identified himself as from the Council Tax office, I asked him to hang on as I reached for my 5 week old babies blanket as it was cold at the front door. He followed me into my house uninvited. He told me that unless I paid £2,000 within 5 days he was going to take my sofa, dining room table and chairs, TV, 12 year old video player, broken stereo, broken dishwasher, microwave, tumble dryer, my kids framed photo's, some very old bibles that my grandparents gave me 30 years ago (extremely sentimental, but have no value), ornaments that I had collected from my travels from the past 30 years (again no real value), a cheap broken Matalan clock on my wall. I pointed out that I didn't even owe the money yet and I was told that it was tough the stuff would be sold and I would not get them back even if I won my appeal. All my electrical goods are extremely old or broken, you could tell I had no money, so he listed personal items, which I did not think they were allowed to do. He informed me that he only needed to leave me one dining room chair in the lounge and they would take EVERYTHING else.

It was then 3pm, I had to leave to get my children from school, the man refused to leave my house, when I tried to push him back through the front door, he swung to hit me and tried to smash my front door open, cracking the door frame. I have never been so scared - I divorced my violent husband so that my children andI would never have to face violence in our home again. I never expected the government to employ these violent bullies to attack the vulnerable, especially as their own agencies have made such a huge mistake in passing this on in the first place. I called the police and they are being investigated.

One of my friends was in the shower, her two young children downstairs watching TV and two great big men from Rossendales let themselves in and started listing her possessions!!!! The kids were absolutely terrified.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MellyG For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Butlers1982
Old 17-02-2009, 5:13 PM

Quote:
I don't think some people understand what I am complaining about
Pay your council tax on time like everyone else and these companies wont bother you, its really easy.
You have nothing to complain about, if you choose not to pay your council tax then tough
The Following User Says Thank You to Butlers1982 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
yorksrabbit
Old 17-02-2009, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butlers1982 View Post
Pay your council tax on time like everyone else and these companies wont bother you, its really easy.
You have nothing to complain about, if you choose not to pay your council tax then tough
What complete rubbish: can't you read an OP?

The issue raised was about the debt collection agency's threatening attitude. NOT about paying Council Tax.

All debt collection agencies are governed by the Office of Fair Trading.

If you have ANY kind of problem with such an agency -- whether they're handling a commercial or Local Authority debt -- set out your complaint in writing to them (by Signed For mail), tell them to reply in writing with seven days, and enclose with that letter a copy of the complaint that you're going to file with the Office of Fair Trading about their behaviour if they don't give you the written assurances you need.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yorksrabbit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Butlers1982
Old 17-02-2009, 8:22 PM

Quote:
What complete rubbish: can't you read an OP?
yes and what im saying is, you wouldnt have to deal with companies like that if you paid your council tax on time.

Ive never had any dealings with such companies, because I paying my bills.
# 11
maninthestreet
Old 17-02-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
yes and what im saying is, you wouldnt have to deal with companies like that if you paid your council tax on time.

Ive never had any dealings with such companies, because I paying my bills.
They are not unknown to pursue the wrong people for money the don't owe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maninthestreet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
hollydays
Old 18-02-2009, 7:53 AM

The technique of threatening to take personal photos etc is not a tactic used just by Rossendales,and it is used to put maximum pressure on you to pay up.I am not saying this is right,but it could be seen as one way of doing a job to get results.THere is no doubt there are some horrendous bailiff companies out there and they must make a bad situation 100 times worse.
I have never found myself in that situation,but people do,and sometimes through job loss or sickness,we shouldn't be too harsh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hollydays For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
maninthestreet
Old 18-02-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydays View Post
The technique of threatening to take personal photos etc is not a tactic used just by Rossendales,and it is used to put maximum pressure on you to pay up.I am not saying this is right,but it could be seen as one way of doing a job to get results.THere is no doubt there are some horrendous bailiff companies out there and they must make a bad situation 100 times worse.
I have never found myself in that situation,but people do,and sometimes through job loss or sickness,we shouldn't be too harsh.
Rossendales appear to be acting merely in the capacity of a debt collection agency, not a court-appointed bailiff.
# 14
Freddie_Snowbits
Old 18-02-2009, 12:50 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYALPHAINDIA View Post
Anyone else had any dealings with them?
No, as I pay my council tax by direct debit. I would expect my council to go after those amongst us who do not pay the regressive tax though.
# 15
yorksrabbit
Old 18-02-2009, 1:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks to hollydays and other posters here for the voice of reason.

Paying Council Tax is a "there-but-for-the-grace-of-God-go-I" situation, so those who do shouldn't necessarily feel morally superior to those who don't, because amongst those who don't are many, many who can't.

Yet they're caught up in a cycle of viciousness that the holier-than-thou would much prefer not to acknowledge. So here are a few reminders:

* A client in Warwickshire had council tax arrears going back six years. The client was unemployed due to injury and depression and was unable to deal with financial matters. He had a liability order which had been passed to the bailiffs for collection. The bailiffs called and took his entire fortnight’s benefit, less £4. As a result the client could not pay other essential bills including electricity, gas and water or buy food. The client was extremely distressed and attempted suicide.

and:

* A client in Surrey was a lone parent, who prior to separating from her partner, had got into arrears on two council tax accounts. After separating, the client was making payments to the bailiffs but they were denying receipt of these. While trying to sort out the problem by sending the bailiffs copies of her bank statements, she stopped all payments. The bailiffs then added £168 to each account as an ‘attendance fee’. They also phoned the client to say that if she did not pay them £200 by Friday, they would take her into custody and “’tough luck” if no-one was there to look after her children (she recorded the call).

and:

A West Midlands client had given up his job to care for his terminally ill wife. As a result he fell into debt. He was on income support and deductions were being made to pay off his council tax arrears. He was moved from income support to jobseekers allowance. He queried whether the deductions would be continued and he was assured that they would. However, when he contacted the jobseekers allowance office, they said that they could only make deductions if the local authority requested it directly. The local authority refused to do this so the debt was passed to the bailiffs.

and:

* A client in Sussex was in receipt of means-tested benefits with council tax arrears. Although the client had been trying to make arrangements with the council to pay off their arrears, the council insisted that they had to wait for the case to go to court before they would come to an arrangement. This would add further costs to the client’s arrears and meanwhile the arrears would continue to accumulate.

All the above are actual Citizens Advice Bureaux case histories.

The picture they paint is of a situation infinitely less acceptable in any Society which calls itself civilised than any non-payment of the iniquitous tax.

I pay it, because that's the Law, and in an ideal world it would be great if everyone else did -- though don't let anyone make the mistake of thinking that if the collection rate was 100%, Council Tax would go down because it wouldn't: local Councils would quickly figure out a way to recruit yet more £20,000-a year Anti Smoking Enforcement officers on final salary pensions in a taxpayer-funded Local Authority pension scheme now running into £billions.

Moral of the story: if you're fortunate enough to be able to keep up with your Council Tax payments, then lucky you. If you're not, then contact CAB immediately otherwise you'll find yourself no longer living where you think you are, but out in Stalinist Russia circa 1948.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yorksrabbit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
maninthestreet
Old 18-02-2009, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorksrabbit View Post
Thanks to hollydays and other posters here for the voice of reason.

Paying Council Tax is a "there-but-for-the-grace-of-God-go-I" situation, so those who do shouldn't necessarily feel morally superior to those who don't, because amongst those who don't are many, many who can't.

Yet they're caught up in a cycle of viciousness that the holier-than-thou would much prefer not to acknowledge. So here are a few reminders:

* A client in Warwickshire had council tax arrears going back six years. The client was unemployed due to injury and depression and was unable to deal with financial matters. He had a liability order which had been passed to the bailiffs for collection. The bailiffs called and took his entire fortnight’s benefit, less £4. As a result the client could not pay other essential bills including electricity, gas and water or buy food. The client was extremely distressed and attempted suicide.

and:

* A client in Surrey was a lone parent, who prior to separating from her partner, had got into arrears on two council tax accounts. After separating, the client was making payments to the bailiffs but they were denying receipt of these. While trying to sort out the problem by sending the bailiffs copies of her bank statements, she stopped all payments. The bailiffs then added £168 to each account as an ‘attendance fee’. They also phoned the client to say that if she did not pay them £200 by Friday, they would take her into custody and “’tough luck” if no-one was there to look after her children (she recorded the call).

and:

A West Midlands client had given up his job to care for his terminally ill wife. As a result he fell into debt. He was on income support and deductions were being made to pay off his council tax arrears. He was moved from income support to jobseekers allowance. He queried whether the deductions would be continued and he was assured that they would. However, when he contacted the jobseekers allowance office, they said that they could only make deductions if the local authority requested it directly. The local authority refused to do this so the debt was passed to the bailiffs.

and:

* A client in Sussex was in receipt of means-tested benefits with council tax arrears. Although the client had been trying to make arrangements with the council to pay off their arrears, the council insisted that they had to wait for the case to go to court before they would come to an arrangement. This would add further costs to the client’s arrears and meanwhile the arrears would continue to accumulate.

All the above are actual Citizens Advice Bureaux case histories.

The picture they paint is of a situation infinitely less acceptable in any Society which calls itself civilised than any non-payment of the iniquitous tax.

I pay it, because that's the Law, and in an ideal world it would be great if everyone else did -- though don't let anyone make the mistake of thinking that if the collection rate was 100%, Council Tax would go down because it wouldn't: local Councils would quickly figure out a way to recruit yet more £20,000-a year Anti Smoking Enforcement officers on final salary pensions in a taxpayer-funded Local Authority pension scheme now running into £billions.

Moral of the story: if you're fortunate enough to be able to keep up with your Council Tax payments, then lucky you. If you're not, then contact CAB immediately otherwise you'll find yourself no longer living where you think you are, but out in Stalinist Russia circa 1948.
Bailiffs are appointed by a court, not by local councils.
Neither Bailiffs nor a Debt Collector can take anyone into custody for failing to pay a debt - there are no such things as "Debtors' Prisons" anymore, and there hasn't been for the best part of 140 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to maninthestreet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
yorksrabbit
Old 18-02-2009, 5:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

maninthestreet: well, you mknow that, I know that, and so do many others.

Including the bailiffs whose telephone call was recorded by the distraught woman who they threatened to take into custody.

And who are now, thanks to that woman's wisdom in recording the threat, and CAB's intervention, are no longer in business.

But if you think other bailiffs in other places at other times won't resort to similar fictions as part of strong-arm threats, think again.

NB: the quotes I cited are exactly that -- no words of mine are in any of the texts. You can find further case histories by visiting CAB online.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yorksrabbit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
SteelyDan
Old 19-02-2009, 9:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have just agreed to pay Rossendales 10 pounds per week. I owe them 250.
I would like to pay them over the phone but i am scared to give my bank details in case they take the full amount even if i only instruct them to take the agreed amount of 10 pounds. Are they likely to do something like this?
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelyDan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
bellrooster
Old 19-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDan View Post
I have just agreed to pay Rossendales 10 pounds per week. I owe them 250.
I would like to pay them over the phone but i am scared to give my bank details in case they take the full amount even if i only instruct them to take the agreed amount of 10 pounds. Are they likely to do something like this?
Phone them up and ask them to send you some paying in slips, that way you can pay at the bank and you will have the counterfoil so that you can prove you've paid
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bellrooster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
bellrooster
Old 19-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
You, are a complete plonka
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bellrooster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread