IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Removing Tippex
Views: 35,005
# 1
codo
Old 27-11-2005, 12:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Removing Tippex

Hi

I hope someone can help. My son has spilt tippex on his black school blazer, can anyone tell me how to remove this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Browntoa
Old 27-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

found this

http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/util...moval%20tw.htm

Scrape off as much of the white deposits as possible, as soon as possible. Clean off the remainder with a little white spirit. (might be worth trying the white spirit inside the blazer first !)
I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

The Following User Says Thank You to Browntoa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Contains Mild Peril
Old 27-11-2005, 6:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Some shops sell tippex thinner, so maybe a few applications of that might help. Though I've never actually tried it on Tippex, I've found that nail varnish remover shifts a lot of stains, including some "permanent" inks. Again, you should test on an inconspicuous area first. It's easier to wash out the smell of nail varnish remover afterwards than white spirit. And give your son a kick up the backside!
The Following User Says Thank You to Contains Mild Peril For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
withabix
Old 27-11-2005, 7:31 PM

Depends a bit on the type of 'tippex' these days, as there are a few solvent-free ones about now.

Assuming it's ordinary traditional tippex, nail varnish remover will work as it is Acetone (also called propanone, propan-2-one, dimethyl formaldehyde, dimethyl ketone) ie the same as tippex thinners.

Do test on an 'inconscpicuous' part of the blazer first, as the acetone might dissolve the material if its a nasty man-made material.
Every Little Helps me fly the world with Tesco!

BA Avios current balance: Approx 350,000

Last edited by withabix; 28-11-2005 at 6:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to withabix For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Savvy_Sue
Old 27-11-2005, 10:04 PM

I'd scrape the worst off with a thumb nail and not worry about it too much - there are far worse things a blazer could be covered in ...
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
# 6
bootman
Old 28-11-2005, 9:45 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This brings back memories. When my son was little,he got a bottle of tippex out of the desk drawer.

I thought he was playing in his room. Oh no, he decided to paint everything with tippex. Walls,doors the telly you name it he put it on it.

I tried thinners,but ended up scraping it off. There is still some on the telly though! Not funny at the time though.
# 7
Contains Mild Peril
Old 28-11-2005, 8:34 PM

Solvent free Tippex is rubbish. No-one in their right mind would use it, given the choice. No doubt it's easier to wash out of clothes; it's a shame it's not much use for its intended purpose.
If all else fails (and I've used this trick myself) draw over the stain with a permanent marker. This is surprisingly effective. You'll still see it because you know it's there and you know where to look, but others are unlikely to notice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Contains Mild Peril For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Nile
Old 29-11-2005, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy_Sue
I'd scrape the worst off with a thumb nail and not worry about it too much - there are far worse things a blazer could be covered in ...
I agree with the suggestion posted by Savvy_Sue.

I had to remove white blobs from a red baseball cap.:rolleyes: I didn't want to use solvents because I was worried the white blobs would smear or spread. I gently scratched the blobs with a finger nail and every trace was removed.

Try it before you apply any solvent cleaners..........hopefully you'll save money and not make the stain worse by smearing or spreading.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Watch the New to Forum? Guide

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
# 9
Bendybops19
Old 29-11-2005, 8:44 AM

Yeah as Nile has mentioned, be very careful with it smearing - its happened to me! Scaping off is the best bet.

Good luck!

xx

I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers

# 10
annie12
Old 03-10-2006, 7:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Removing Tippex?

My son has got Tippex on his black school trousers
Does Anyone know how to remove it?

annie
# 11
skintchick
Old 03-10-2006, 11:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to skintchick

Someone posted the other day about how to remove paint.

They said use a plastic scrunchie bath puff thing, with some fabric conditioner on, and rub.

Tippex is similar to paint so maybe that would work.
DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skintchick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Lillibet
Old 04-10-2006, 6:42 AM

don't know if you can still buy tippex thinners? This used to work gettign it off my fingers years ago but I haven't seen any for ages? (I also used to love the smell but that's another story!:rolleyes:, nowdays I just get high on magic markers))
Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lillibet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
annie12
Old 04-10-2006, 10:42 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks, I will try the fabric conditioner & nylon bath puff thing!!

annie
# 14
savingpennies
Old 19-11-2006, 11:21 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Tippex stain removal

DD2 has come home home with a tippex stain on her dark navy school trousers. Any ideas as to how I get the stain out? The trousers are currently soaking in water and I tried a using vanish stain bar but I guess something stronger is needed.
2014 2 savings: 0
# 15
squeaky
Old 19-11-2006, 11:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

White spirit seems to be the answer...

http://www.wearsideonline.com/hints_and_tips-2.html
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
savingpennies
Old 19-11-2006, 8:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Many thanks, Squeaky, you've come to the rescue again.
2014 2 savings: 0
The Following User Says Thank You to savingpennies For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
springchicken
Old 28-11-2006, 11:27 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default tippex on school skirt!

Hi Oldstylers,
Does anybody know a treatment for removing Tippex ?
DDs School skirt is ruined !
Know advice must be in here somewhere but cant find it.
Any help much appreciated
TIA
Spring
Moneysaving? - I cant stop spending because of this site!
# 18
squeaky
Old 28-11-2006, 11:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Hi springchicken...

I found the earlier thread and have added your post to it. Since posts are listed in date order you'll need to read this one from the beginning.

Good luck
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following User Says Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
dihunny
Old 10-04-2007, 5:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default removing tippex

Hi All,

Disaster-I've dropped a bottle of tippex and it's now splattered clothes, carpet, computer chair and keyboard. It dried so fast-i didn't stand a chance.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

dihunny
# 20
Pink.
Old 10-04-2007, 6:06 PM

Hi dihunny,

We have an older thread that may help so I've merged your thread with it to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>