Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 38
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 31st Jul 16, 6:15 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 3,767 Thanks
    Nick_C
    i hope you are right but c.s. were not sure and will get back to me.
    thanks
    Originally posted by kevrex
    Thanks. Do let us know what they say.
    • matty50
    • By matty50 14th Sep 16, 8:57 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    matty50
    I've only just joined this thread so plz excuse me if this has been discussed way down the line.
    Is there a card that will actually pay cash - except for the Amex ones which I know are not universally accepted - rather than vouchers?
    • lean&mean
    • By lean&mean 8th Feb 17, 10:30 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    lean&mean
    Martin's email today mentions how Jay Z and Beyonc! can get 6 months of 5% cashback with Amex Platinum cashback card. It might also be worth mentioning that if Beyonc! refers Jay Z to Amex on their 'refer a friend' scheme (just Google it), she would get another £10 back. The Amex refer a friend scheme is very generous, even more so with some of their other cards, such as BA, Amex Gold and Platinum, with the referrer getting huge numbers of points, which can be transferred to various hotel and airline rewards schemes. And they do not currently limit how many times you can re-cycle your card to get the sign up bonus each time. So long as you haven't held one for six months. So once Beyonc! has successfully referred Jay Z and got her bonus, she could cancel her card. Then in 6 months' time Jay Z refers her to Amex and she gets another, and he gets £10, while she gets the 5% cashback for another 3 months!
    With Platinum Cashback they'd both have to spend at least £3000 each a year to both get any cashback (a lot of spend). If your spend is more in blocks, consider other cards such as BA or Amex Gold which just need to hit a minimum spend in the first 3 months to get their sign up bonus - £1000 per account with BA and £2000 for Amex Gold. Get your card at the right time of year, like before buying a holiday, and you're laughing (but make sure your retailer takes Amex!)
    • lean&mean
    • By lean&mean 8th Feb 17, 10:36 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    lean&mean
    I've only just joined this thread so plz excuse me if this has been discussed way down the line.
    Is there a card that will actually pay cash - except for the Amex ones which I know are not universally accepted - rather than vouchers?
    Originally posted by matty50
    I know this is a late reply, but hope it might help. The reduction in the interchange fee seems to have done for cashback cards. The best rate seems to be no more than 0.5% with Santander, Nationwide, Nat West etc. The better return rates seem to be with those which earn points with hotels, airlines etc.

Have a look at USwitch or at HeadforPoints.com for a summary.
    • RazzyT
    • By RazzyT 16th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RazzyT
    Lloyds
    How come the Lloyds rewards cards never seem to be mentioned? Is there some issue with it? whilst it may have a fee of £24 a year it gives around 1.5% back?
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 16th Mar 17, 10:58 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    WillPS
    How come the Lloyds rewards cards never seem to be mentioned? Is there some issue with it? whilst it may have a fee of £24 a year it gives around 1.5% back?
    Originally posted by RazzyT
    Not sure how you've worked that out -
    http://www.lloydsbank.com/credit-cards/choice-rewards.asp#tab-row-1

10,000 points = £10 cashback.

£5 spend on Amex generates 50 points
    50 goes in to 10000 200 times, 200x5 = £1000; so Amex spend generates a return of £10 for every £1000 spent, or 1% (which is pretty much the same as Amex*)

£5 spend on Mastercard generates 10 points
    10 goes in to 10000 1000 times, 1000x5 = £5000; so Amex spend generates a return of £10 for every £1000 spent, or 0.2% (which is appalling)

*Amex will give you the same rate presuming you'll put over £5k per year on it, with no annual fee. For the same £24 annual fee as the Lloyds card, they'll also do 1.25% cashback on any spend over £10k. Also - the Lloyds rate is almost definitely not going to last; by all accounts their Amex license is probably going to go as the arrangement doesn't work now the interchange caps them regardless of the symbol on the card; on the contrary the Amex rate probably is sustainable as they are not subject to the interchange cap.
    • MintyBob
    • By MintyBob 23rd Apr 17, 11:49 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MintyBob
    pay off a cash back card with balance transfer
    Hello All

This may be a silly question but is it possible to pay of a cashback card with a 0% balance transfer card. I am assuming not as this would be a good money making wheeze.
    • flower77g
    • By flower77g 23rd Apr 17, 4:50 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    flower77g
    Yes, it is possible to pay off a cashback card using a balance transfer from a 0% balance transfer card. You could use this to extend the period at which 0% interest applies but this won't make you rich after you factor in any balance transfer fee.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 23rd Apr 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 3,767 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Yes, it is possible to pay off a cashback card using a balance transfer from a 0% balance transfer card. You could use this to extend the period at which 0% interest applies but this won't make you rich after you factor in any balance transfer fee.
    Originally posted by flower77g
    You're obviously a newbie! There are plenty of Balance Transfer cards with a zero fee. They are listed here

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/balance-transfer-credit-cards

They won't make you rich, but they will make money for you. When you get to the end of the free BT period, you transfer the debt to a new BT card. You are borrowing money absolutely free, and instead of paying it off, put the money into an an interest bearing account.
    • Tamzin64
    • By Tamzin64 27th Apr 17, 5:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tamzin64
    Which is the best cashback card?
    I always pay my credit card off in full but was wondering which is the best cashback card. Any advice would be great! I'd be happy with vouchers.
    • gdrforest
    • By gdrforest 2nd Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gdrforest
    Lloyds Amex cashback ends
    As predicted the Lloyds Amex deal ends on 3rd August. There will only be a Lloyds Visa card available paying 0.5% cashback. I received a letter this morning.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 2nd Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 3,767 Thanks
    Nick_C
    As predicted the Lloyds Amex deal ends on 3rd August. There will only be a Lloyds Visa card available paying 0.5% cashback. I received a letter this morning.
    Originally posted by gdrforest
    Odd that they are still advertising their Amex cards on their website.

Are they dropping the annual fee? Are they offering a refund of the annual fee if you cancel?

I'm in my first 6 months of the Lloyds Avios cards, but I will ditch it if they drop the Amex Avios card.
    • chamelion
    • By chamelion 22nd Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    chamelion
    Do any of you have this:
    http://www.tsb.co.uk/credit-cards/purchases/platinum-purchase-card/?WT.ac=A00386

1% cashback and 20 month interest free on a TSB credit card? Doubles the cashback of any other visa/ mastercard - lower than Amex but more universally accepted!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 22nd Jun 17, 3:44 PM
    • 6,151 Posts
    • 19,058 Thanks
    Doc N
    Do any of you have this:
    http://www.tsb.co.uk/credit-cards/purchases/platinum-purchase-card/?WT.ac=A00386

1% cashback and 20 month interest free on a TSB credit card? Doubles the cashback of any other visa/ mastercard - lower than Amex but more universally accepted!
    Originally posted by chamelion
    Useful, but limited to £5 pm cashback:

1% cashback on the first £500 of eligible spend each month when you have a TSB Classic Plus current account.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 22nd Jun 17, 5:52 PM
    • 9,159 Posts
    • 5,855 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Do any of you have this:

Originally posted by chamelion
    Yes, I've not availed of the interest free period but the cashback is good, particularly combined with the debit card, £10 a month for nothing.
    • darren72
    • By darren72 23rd Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    darren72
    My current Barclaycard 1% cashback card is coming to an end shortly. Is the Asda (£3 per month card) the best card to go to for cashback ?

It offers 1% cashback at all retailers and 2% at Asda.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 23rd Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    dj1471
    My current Barclaycard 1% cashback card is coming to an end shortly. Is the Asda (£3 per month card) the best card to go to for cashback ?

It offers 1% cashback at all retailers and 2% at Asda.
    Originally posted by darren72
    You'll have to do some sums to see if it's worth the fee based on your spend. Also note that it doesn't pay cashback, it's vouchers for use in Asda.
    • darren72
    • By darren72 23rd Jun 17, 10:04 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    darren72
    You'll have to do some sums to see if it's worth the fee based on your spend. Also note that it doesn't pay cashback, it's vouchers for use in Asda.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    Thanks. Yes, I noticed they have recently changed from cashback to Asda vouchers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

2,441Users online

Martin's Twitter