Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > Is the Nationwide Building Society safe? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Is the Nationwide Building Society safe?
Closed Thread
Views: 5,717
# 1
bluesue1
Old 24-09-2008, 8:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Is the Nationwide Building Society safe?

With all the talk of not putting more than 35k in any one bank/building society, what are the real chances of a building society as huge as 'Nationwide' going down? I mean they've just merged with 'The Debyshire' and 'The Cheshire' and their Fitch rating is AA. Anyone got any thoughts?
# 2
dunstonh
Old 24-09-2008, 8:33 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

There is little chance of any UK retail bank or building society going under.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
bluesue1
Old 24-09-2008, 8:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks dunstonh, I just wonder why every time you put on the TV they're banging on about the FSCS and to spead your money around. I know it does make sense, but I've always thought of somewhere like 'The Nationwide' as being a safe haven, and can't imagine it getting into trouble. But these are worrying times.
# 4
RayWolfe
Old 24-09-2008, 9:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Only if you let them be worrying times.
The Following User Says Thank You to RayWolfe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
fatpig
Old 24-09-2008, 9:52 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

They're as safe as Bradford and Bingley. So nothing to worry about
# 6
vbrindle
Old 24-09-2008, 10:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

lol @ fatpig

Seriously though I don't think they'll let any bank in the uk go under because it's the people's money at stake.

But as Martin did with the Tom, Dick and Harry Safes on TV tonight, it's prob best to spread your money around.

Even if you have less than 35k in total I recommend putting money asside somewhere else because even though you're covered by the FSCS it may take time to get the money back, so it's wise to have an emergency fund stashed elsewhere.

This is the paranoid approach but you never know which way this whole mess is going to go at the moment so it's always wise to have a backup plan.

If Nationwide have taken over other building society's then it must be in a strong position to do so I'd have thought.

The problem at the moment is that everyone has got the jitters, even banks. Nobody trusts anyone anymore.
# 7
Paul_Herring
Old 24-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via Skype™ to Paul_Herring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesue1 View Post
Thanks dunstonh, I just wonder why every time you put on the TV they're banging on about the FSCS and to spead your money around.
Because

"Don't panic, there's little chance of UK PLC going down the pan"

is less newsworthy than

"PANIC!!! THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!!!"

An a bit of rear-end-covering, just in case one of the minor companies is left to die.
Conjugating the verb 'to be":
o I am humble
o You are attention seeking
o She is Nadine Dorries
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul_Herring For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
bluesue1
Old 24-09-2008, 11:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Herring View Post
Because

"Don't panic, there's little chance of UK PLC going down the pan"

is less newsworthy than

"PANIC!!! THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!!!"

An a bit of rear-end-covering, just in case one of the minor companies is left to die.

So do you think the LTSB is safer than the Nationwide?
The Following User Says Thank You to bluesue1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
dunstonh
Old 25-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
So do you think the LTSB is safer than the Nationwide?
Before the HBOS bid they would be the top, although HSBC could pip them but not much in it. They will be weakened a little if the purchase goes through but there are rumours that the disposal of Scottish Widows, Clerical Medical and Halifax life would take place to replace the capital.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
# 10
peawack
Old 25-09-2008, 9:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesue1 View Post
Thanks dunstonh, I just wonder why every time you put on the TV they're banging on about the FSCS and to spead your money around. I know it does make sense, but I've always thought of somewhere like 'The Nationwide' as being a safe haven, and can't imagine it getting into trouble. But these are worrying times.

Just remember. To worry, you need to give yourself permission ! Don't give it.
Peter
Closed Thread