IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Dog Racing 1p Meal Deal
Closed Thread
Views: 36,305
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Tomtom07
Old 22-09-2008, 11:47 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Essex
Posts: 660
Send a message via Yahoo to Tomtom07
Default Dog Racing 1p Meal Deal

1p Meals at various race tracks please see link for tracks and to receive voucher

http://www.1pmealdeal.com/

Tomtom07 is offline
Report Post
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Tomtom07 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
mutley muppet
Old 22-09-2008, 1:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 752
Thumbs down

I am all for a bargain BUT this is one deal that I would beg people not to go for.

These cheapy 1p deals are the dog racing industry's desperate attempts to keep their tracks going.

There is so much cruelty in the racing industry, dogs neglected, starved, left with untreated injuries, shot, ears cut off to hide tattoos etc.

I have been involved with rescue work for years and some of the sights I have seen would make you weep.

I was going to post some links, but i don't want to give anyone nightmares. If you search "greyhound cruelty" on google or you tube you will find more info.

My own dog was going to be shot by his racing owner just because he was "too slow". Another dog we rescued had been sliced open the length of her body after being knocked into the wire that pulls the hare.

I have been to dog tracks and seen dogs fall & break their legs and their backs and be carried off screaming. It is heart breaking and I wouldn't recomend taking kids to see it.

Look closely at most rescued greyhounds and they have many scars including broken & amputated toes due to racing injuries.

The dog tracks wil tell you that all the dogs are found loving homes, but speak to your local animal rescue centres and they will tell you a diferent story!
I know all the shelters near me constantly have greyhounds that have been horribly neglected.

Sorry to go on, but if you are an animal lover, please, please give this one a miss!

Thank you!
MM x
mutley muppet is offline
Report Post
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mutley muppet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Tomtom07
Old 22-09-2008, 2:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Essex
Posts: 660
Send a message via Yahoo to Tomtom07
Default

As I do not go to dog racing the info given I didn't know, if anyone else feels strongly about this,let me know and I will get this thread deleted.

Tomtom07 is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomtom07 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
bluepricey
Old 22-09-2008, 2:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rainford
Posts: 804
Default

i used to now someone who kept and raced greyhounds and he treated his dogs very well think it's only a small minority that mistreat
:confused: :confused: :confused:
bluepricey is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to bluepricey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
TaBunny
Old 22-09-2008, 2:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South East London
Posts: 1,787
Default

excellent stuff can't wait to go top spot, I've been going the dogs for years and have never ever witnessed any cruelty infact our local track lets you inspect the dogs before and after racing if you so wish,
TaBunny is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to TaBunny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Daisymac
Old 22-09-2008, 3:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesD View Post
And, of course, sermons about animal cruelty have no place on a money-saving board!

What would have been helpful, though, is more info on what the deal actually covers.

Anyone got the whole story?

It was not really a sermon was it, I totally understand where mutley muppet is coming from and they are entitled to their opinion, I wouldnt go to dog racing because of the reasons stated by Mutley and the state of some greyhounds I have seen in rescue centres, but that is my opinion and I do belive this is a free country and everyone is entitled to an opinion so please dont slate people for that.
Daisymac is offline
Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daisymac For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
LesD
Old 22-09-2008, 3:25 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisymac View Post
It was not really a sermon was it, I totally understand where mutley muppet is coming from and they are entitled to their opinion, I wouldnt go to dog racing because of the reasons stated by Mutley and the state of some greyhounds I have seen in rescue centres, but that is my opinion and I do belive this is a free country and everyone is entitled to an opinion so please dont slate people for that.
Sorry, I deleted the message as I found the info I wanted.

However, I still feel it was a sermon and and needs to be moved elsewhere.
LesD is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to LesD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
lisyloo
Old 22-09-2008, 3:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 18,585
Default

Quote:
And, of course, sermons about animal cruelty have no place on a money-saving board!
I disagree.

Exploitation of not only animals but humans sometimes goes hand in hand with moneysaving.
If people want to discuss then that's fine by me.

If you aren't interested in the moral aspects of your purchases, then fine, don't read it.
lisyloo is offline
Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lisyloo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
entitled to my opinion
Old 22-09-2008, 4:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1
Default great offer and forget the activist propoganda

I've just checked out this offer and its great VFM.

I DO go greyhound racing and I object to the constant diatribe and spin spouted by animal rights activists without any substance whatsoever.

The animal rights brigade (which will be a miniority by the way) get a disporoprtionate amount of media voice because they sensationalise everything.

They distort the truth, with pictures more than 30 years old and not even from the UK. Even the story they push about David Smith from Seaham is distorted, he was putting to sleep domestic animals for the police and local authority - no mention of that though is there.

Fact - there is a difference between a rescued dog (eg what the RSPCA do with labradors and spaniels et al) and a retired dog.
Fact - most greyhounds are happily retired, Not abandoned, rescued or slaughtered.
Yes i'm angry - I love a night at the dogs and I look after two retired chaps at home.
Muttley is exactly what he calls her/himself - a muppet
entitled to my opinion is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to entitled to my opinion For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
lisyloo
Old 22-09-2008, 4:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 18,585
Default

I'm an animal lover and we do financially support a greyhound rescue charity.
However I'm also pretty sure that if racing was abandoned by lots of people that there would be more abandoned and mistreated dogs from SOME of the owners.

So whilst I love dogs and don't like cruelty, I'm not convinced that putting the industry out of business would help.
Short term it would make things massively worse.
lisyloo is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to lisyloo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
truman_sparks
Old 22-09-2008, 4:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by entitled to my opinion View Post
I've just checked out this offer and its great VFM.

I DO go greyhound racing and I object to the constant diatribe and spin spouted by animal rights activists without any substance whatsoever.

The animal rights brigade (which will be a miniority by the way) get a disporoprtionate amount of media voice because they sensationalise everything.

They distort the truth, with pictures more than 30 years old and not even from the UK. Even the story they push about david smith from seaton is distorted, he was putting to sleep domestic animals for the police and local authority - no mention of that though is there.

Fact - there is a difference between a rescued dog (eg what the RSPCA do with labradors and spaniels et al) and a retired dog.
Fact - most greyhounds are happily retired, Not abandoned, rescued or slaughtered.
Yes i'm angry - I love a night at the dogs and I look after two retired chaps at home.
Muttley is exactly what he calls her/himself - a muppet

"putting to sleep" read killing with a bolt gun upto 10,000 healthy dogs. A vast number of greyhounds who were past their prime (4years +) and were not needed for financial gain. He was also charged and found guilty of disposing of their bodies on his land. This is not a new or isolated practice. Trainers have also been convicted of involvement in this type of thing.

Thousands of greyhounds enter the industry every year thus thousands leave. the strange thing is that thousands that leave are left un accounted for.

I wonder where they end up :rolleyes:

Just because they dont shoot them straight after the race, smell the coffee.

Grabbit it may be, you decide if its one you really want at the expense of these animals. if you want to make up your own mind, just spend 5 minutes on google and you will see what this plank thinks is of "no substance".

definatley not for me.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/fe....animalwelfare

Last edited by truman_sparks; 22-09-2008 at 4:57 PM.
truman_sparks is offline
Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to truman_sparks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
truman_sparks
Old 22-09-2008, 4:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisyloo View Post
I'm an animal lover and we do financially support a greyhound rescue charity.
However I'm also pretty sure that if racing was abandoned by lots of people that there would be more abandoned and mistreated dogs from SOME of the owners.

So whilst I love dogs and don't like cruelty, I'm not convinced that putting the industry out of business would help.
Short term it would make things massively worse.

Got a feeling they might stop breeding so many if that was the case and so long term it would result in an end to this barbaric practise.
Alternatively just let it continue to avoid a short term problem, erm :rolleyes:
truman_sparks is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to truman_sparks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Tarry
Old 22-09-2008, 4:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Far, far away...
Posts: 8,664
Default

I feel I have to reply to this. I am very against greyhound racing, think about Seaham and what happened there We have a rescue greyhound and I know I did the right thing in adopting her. I totally agree with trumann sparks, I would GLADLY see an end to greyhound racing.
Tarry is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
lisyloo
Old 22-09-2008, 5:07 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 18,585
Default

Quote:
Alternatively just let it continue to avoid a short term prob{
No that wasn't what I meant.

I'm not an expert and perhaps others know more than me, but I'm not convinced that the whole sport is bad.
There are clearly some bad elements and bad practices, but similarly there are some owners who treat their animals very well.

We don't ban all driving because 3000 people are killed on the roads every year., although when you think about it 3000 deaths is absolutely appauling, but we don't ban the whole thing because there are ome bad drivers about.

I guess this comes down to whether you believe the whole sport is bad and poor treatment is endemic or whether you believe there are some rogue elements.
lisyloo is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to lisyloo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Tarry
Old 22-09-2008, 5:11 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Far, far away...
Posts: 8,664
Default

I've yet to hear off someone who racers their greys who treats them well, and you can't dismiss the overbreeding of them can you? I don't think personally that anyone should take up this offer, why support something that is cruel?
Tarry is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
ianjohnson80
Old 22-09-2008, 5:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 53
Default

It is not the practice of dog racing that should be banned but the cleaning up and management of the people who own/race the dogs.

If people wish to post a link to an offer that is legal and does not promote offence to other members (you do not have to open the link and can pass the post by) then people should not be pushing for a post to be removed.

This is a site for people to save money not for people to say where people are going or what they are doing.

ianjohnson80 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to ianjohnson80 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
mutley muppet
Old 22-09-2008, 5:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesD View Post

However, I still feel it was a sermon and and needs to be moved elsewhere.
Its not a sermon Les, it's my opinion based on 15 years involvement in greyhound rescue.

Some people (like the OP) have no idea what cruelty & neglect is involved in this industry. Tracks are keen to give the impression that all the ex-racers are found loving homes and sadly this isnt the case!

It's up to individuals what they do, but I think you'll find most animal lovers will give this "deal" a miss once they know what goes on behind the scenes.
mutley muppet is offline
Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mutley muppet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
mutley muppet
Old 22-09-2008, 5:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtom07 View Post
As I do not go to dog racing the info given I didn't know, if anyone else feels strongly about this,let me know and I will get this thread deleted.


Don't worry Tomtom, I'm not asking for the thread to be removed.
It's up to individuals what they do. Just stating my opinion on this industry.
mutley muppet is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mutley muppet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
truman_sparks
Old 22-09-2008, 5:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 144
Default

In essence i dont have a problem with dog racing and yes im sure that many dogs are well looked after while they race, others wont be.

As identified above the problem is what happens when they are not needed anymore, these arnt dog lovers that breed and race them. its a business and they are an asset when they are winning and a drain when not.

So the dogs are abandoned, killed etc.

Its a business, and the dogs once no longer earning are given no more consideration than you or i do to the rubbish from our bins.

If the industry could provide a solution of its own for looking after the thousands of dogs it produces i wouldent have a lot to argue about.
But they dont nor can do because their business wouldnot be viable if they did.
sadly the dogs you watch win on your night out could be being disposed of the following month in a farmers field.

its up to you?

As far as the grabbit Argument ian,
I think debate is good and brow beating that we should keep morals from the board is dangerous. It says to me "do what you want to save money, regardless of what suffering it may cause". not disimilar to the industry and people we are discussing really is it?

Last edited by truman_sparks; 22-09-2008 at 5:31 PM.
truman_sparks is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to truman_sparks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
mutley muppet
Old 22-09-2008, 5:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjohnson80 View Post
It is not the practice of dog racing that should be banned but the cleaning up and management of the people who own/race the dogs.

If people wish to post a link to an offer that is legal and does not promote offence to other members (you do not have to open the link and can pass the post by) then people should not be pushing for a post to be removed.

This is a site for people to save money not for people to say where people are going or what they are doing.
I dont think anyone is pushing for the original post to be removed?

Only one person asking for my opinions to be removed?
mutley muppet is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 5:32 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 30 July 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 88
  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSTHE HOUSE THAT GARAGE BUILT - MINISTRY OF SOUND

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.