Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 17th Jun 08, 12:18 PM
    • 1,207Posts
    • 3,547Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    £12 five star hotels
    • 17th Jun 08, 12:18 PM
    £12 five star hotels 17th Jun 08 at 12:18 PM
    Update Tuesday 21 October 2008

Leading Hotels of the World tried to hold this room sale three weeks ago, but sadly huge demand from MoneySavers crashed its website. It’s now rescheduled the sale and’s brought in a new IT firm to help, so hopefully things will go more smoothly.

The new sale is open to all (not just those who registered) and starts at 3pm on Thursday October 23 2008 at www.lhw.com/1928. There are still 6,000 rooms available at the same hotels, but you’ll need to fill out a form, and submit it before 4.10pm that day. Forms will be available on its site at 3pm.

LHW will then email within seven days, to let you know whether the request was successful.

You’ll need to act fast when the time comes, so it’s worth doing a bit of preparation now. The form requests three hotel choices with two possible arrival dates for each, so pick your hotels and check your diary.

23 September 2008

What's it about?

The hotel broker website Leading Hotels of the World is offering 6,000 rooms at £10 a night, plus taxes. Add those in and its roughly £12 a night, which is a seriously good price as all of the 100 hotels on offer are five star. Rates usually start at £150 a night and up.

URGENT! THIS STARTS AT

If you're not online then, it's unlikely you'll get one

You need to preregister before you can book, so its probably best you do it soon.

Why so urgent?

From experience, its likely you need to be super speedy to get a room. This is one of quite a few limited room hotel promotions that we've included in the weekly email, a common one is a 500 place £1 UK hotel room promotion run by Hoxton hotels.

Everytime the rooms go like proverbial hotcakes, and literally sell out within 5 minutes of opening.

How much will it cost?

There are 6,000 rooms available at $19.28 (c. £10) plus taxes and charges. Taxes are based on the $19.28 rate and they will vary by destination.

The press office assures us that “the confirmation will detail all charges prior to pressing the confirm button”, so you’ll know before you agree to pay.

An example

Gleneagles in Scotland would normally cost £610 for two nights. Under the offer, we predict that the total price would be £10 a night, plus about £4 sales tax, working out at £24.

How long can I book for and where?

The offer’s valid at over 100 hotels for stays between 1 November 2008 and 15 December 2008. See a full list of hotels available.

You can book to up to two nights if you're fast enough but it’s limited to one reservation per customer. Read the full terms and conditions

To get you started here are a few of the destinations on offer (links to Tripadvisor reviews) with rough standard rates.

The UK

The Langham, London. Normal price: £180/night
    The Gleaneagles Hotel, Perthshire. Normal price: £300/night

Worldwide

Hotel de l’Europe, Amsterdam. Normal price: £210/night
    Grand Hotel Palazzo della Fonte, Rome. Normal price: £150/night
    The Alex Hotel, New York. Normal price: £205/night
    The Table Bay Hotel, Capetown. Normal price: £258/night
    Discovery at Marigot Bay, St Lucia. Normal price: £190/night

Don’t assume this is always cheapest

As you've time before booking, check out what you'd be paying for the hotel anyway, using the Cheap Hotels guide for help. The hotels included in this deal vary in price.

Get a cheap flight to go with the room

It's also worth considering the overall transport costs for a hotel overseas. While the costs of airline fuel is huge at the moment, low demand means there are still bargains around. Read the Cheap Flights and Cheap Trains guide

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

PS. Many thanks to Bhamstudent below, for originally spotting this top tip. This post was inserted so we could give MoneySaver the full lowdown.
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 21-10-2008 at 4:25 PM.
Page 17
  • sunshinegirl08
    Why do you say that?
    I would have thought that surely they have to get back to work after spending nearly an hour trying to get a room.

Assumptions and accusations of dishonestly are appauling (not that you said that but others did).

I don't think these people have any "secrets" to share, they just got lucky.
    I don't think there is any special sequence.
    You just have to be the one that's next in the queue when a space becomes available.
    Originally posted by lisyloo

I never accused anybody of anything I just said if they could tell how the process went it might be nice as some of us would like to know.

I am sure not all of those who booked rooms are at work and if they have got time to wait an hour to book surely another 5 mins is not going to hurt....

Some people are soooo touchy on here I'd appreciate if you'd direct your post at somebody who was actually accusing.... and furthermore when I last checked I didn't see a rule about asking people about how they came across there good fortune I thought that was what this site was about.......
    and seen as you haven't been successful then my question was not direted at you
  • 31May2008
    lisyloo vbmenu_register("postmenu_14614579", true);
    Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,532 Posts

OMG - stop posting - start earning!
  • Lefs
    Each of the 2 occassions I've made a property page it's sat for 30 seconds loading.
    Originally posted by nelster
    I haven't even made it past the irritating "please be patient, don't get discouraged" message, even when it takes forever to load!
    • Babiesmummy
    • By Babiesmummy 1st Oct 08, 1:56 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    Babiesmummy
    barstool, got in, put dates in and got server error
    Born and bred in Manchester (proud of it)
    Now living on the other side of the Pennines
    • jinkssick
    • By jinkssick 1st Oct 08, 1:58 PM
    • 1,226 Posts
    • 902 Thanks
    jinkssick
    Thats what I think, I will give negative feedback to anyone that asks about Leading Hotels of the World. Its not great publicity.

How harsh would it be that the only screen that loads without problems is the one saying ''The offer has run out, thanks for taking part''.
    Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more £££ dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives
    call your credit card company, tell them that you want to leave, 99% of the time theyll lower your APR%
    Remember when that Bank Manager or Salesperson smiles at you, all he sees is £ notes. Dont forget the motto, "the wider their grin, the more debt your in"
  • Dipsy
    I am afraid I am giving up too, I got a couple of rooms on the travelinn deal, maybe if I brought some champagne and flowers and a blindfold I could make it into a five star break!!!
  • sunshinegirl08
    Further more it would be nice to know how they got through as if there is a promotion like this again in the future some of the rest of us who aren't so lucky may stand a better chance next time....

Information like if they were already in the hotel availability page at the start of the sale may be useful as I was on the pre-registered page at the time of the sale and when i selected the hotel it crashed me out
    • luckyjasond
    • By luckyjasond 1st Oct 08, 2:02 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 19,987 Thanks
    luckyjasond
    First time in the "Processing your request" section. Probably will be stucked there forever or get an error....
  • nelster
    First time in the "Processing your request" section. Probably will be stucked there forever or get an error....
    Originally posted by luckyjasond
    What process did you go through to get there ?

I'm on a property page directly and I am clicking Check Availablity based on my dates.
  • pinkstacey
    A promotion meant to raise LHW's profile, is really going to lower it in the long run due to everyone's frustration!
    Originally posted by lauraza
    Have to agree, absolute joke
  • loserface
    I have been succesful in loading up the hotel page at least 7 times (the direct link). Yet when I 'check availability' it says SERVER TO BUSY or RUNTIME ERROR.
    Somehow Im not sure if that's the right way to go about it now.
    Last edited by loserface; 01-10-2008 at 2:08 PM.
    • Babiesmummy
    • By Babiesmummy 1st Oct 08, 2:05 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    Babiesmummy
    got in again and got runtime error
    Born and bred in Manchester (proud of it)
    Now living on the other side of the Pennines
    • luckyjasond
    • By luckyjasond 1st Oct 08, 2:06 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 19,987 Thanks
    luckyjasond

I'm on a property page directly and I am clicking Check Availablity based on my dates.
    Managed to get through the main site, put dates in and it went to runtime error. Then I kept on refreshing and suddenly it popped up. But it doesn't seem to go any further..
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 1st Oct 08, 2:06 PM
    • 11,592 Posts
    • 29,987 Thanks
    Nelski
    no joy here but im still counting on my very good friends rmac and hollydays having been more successful
    • xxlaurissaxx
    • By xxlaurissaxx 1st Oct 08, 2:07 PM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 3,134 Thanks
    xxlaurissaxx
    I have been succesful in loading up the hotel page at least 7 times (the direct link). Yet when I 'check availability' it says SERVER TO BUSY or RUNTIME ERROR.
    Somehow now Im not sure if that's the right way to go about it now.
    Originally posted by loserface
    Same here :confused: Im giving up. xx
    0/2013
  • angelesque

I am trying this route too - not sure if we will be able to access the promo rates by going straight to a property page, but I'm not getting in any other way!!!!
  • onlineid
    got through over 15 times, submitted dates, processed, crashing out everytime with runtime error.
    haven't cleaned my house arrhhh what a waste of time
    well done to those that did get through - have a fab time
    • mookybargirl
    • By mookybargirl 1st Oct 08, 2:08 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 2,640 Thanks
    mookybargirl
    Originally posted by luckyjasond
    I've seen this about 4 times, but then run time error etc
    Love MSE, Las Vegas and chocolate!
  • r.mac
    still trying my very hardest

could everyone else stop now please????
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • lauraza
    As far as I'm concerned nobody has managed to actually book this unless they can come back and actually tell us a bit more about how they managed it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,427Posts Today

7,112Users online

Martin's Twitter