Best Gaming Laptop Under £400

Ok so I should probably re title this threat best graphics card in a latop under £400!

Im looking for a laptop with decent specs (not amazing but decent) and from what I can see theres plenty under £400.Problem being im a bit of a gamer and my tv is now dead,as well as my old xbox which is on its last legs.Seeing as ill have to get a laptop soon a dvd player is a must and pretty much a given in laptops these days. This gets me to the gaming side......what is the best graphics card in a laptop under £400? :beer:
Dec Wins : Gold Leaf Necklace
Jan Wins : Tell No One Dvd

Comments

• Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    The Acer Aspire 5920G has a 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS at £449, or you could go for the Dell Studio 15 with a 256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3450 for the same price. The Studio 17, which is the same with a bigger 17" screen is £50 more at £499.

I know they're all over your budget of "under £400", but I think you should try and stretch your money a bit further if at all possible.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    The 8600/2600xt is probably your best bet at the moment, as in the post above. Anything under £400 and you will probably end up with an intel 3100 / radeon 1250 / geforce 7000, none of which are good for gaming.
  • Ice_2
    Ice_2 Posts: 3,486 Forumite
    after reading many books on Vista I have come to the conclusion that a gaming anything desktop or laptop must be 800Mhz...so if you go for that you'll be fine...:D

Plans for 2009
    1/ Get fit. 2/ Get my figure back. 3/ Get the MAN BACK! :kisses2::happylove
    contrary to popular belief, I am all Woman.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    800mhz will either relate to the memory speed, or processor bus speed. While a fast CPU and to a lesser extent, faster ram are both important, in gaming the video chipset has more of an infuence on gaming FPS. A low end 64bit chipset will mean you have to play in lower resolutions and details, at least an 8600M will allow most older and some current games to run at the laptops native resolution at decent settings.
  • Thanks for your reply guys.I had seen a compaq at currys for £300,had a geforce 8200 grapchis card which seemed pretty decent for the price.....tho anywhere around me seems to have sold out!

That acer is looking pretty temping but slightly over what I was goin to spend (originally £350)! I think I shall go hunting tomorrow! thanks guys.
    Dec Wins : Gold Leaf Necklace
    Jan Wins : Tell No One Dvd
  • Ice_2
    Ice_2 Posts: 3,486 Forumite
    have a look here...
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/AdvSearch/default.aspx?rewrite=gaming_laptops

although I agree with MartyJ about the Acer 5920 I have just got the Acer 9815 which is great although not quite for gaming it would run world of warcraft soulstorm according to the WEI and M$ website...but I don't play game's just use mine for on here and shopping and my Book writing...
    but Acer is good...also I got the £9.95 delivery 3-4 days it was on the 3rd day...and 3 yrs extra warranty accident return to base...for £59.99 which is alot cheaper than other companies...hths...:D

Plans for 2009
    1/ Get fit. 2/ Get my figure back. 3/ Get the MAN BACK! :kisses2::happylove
    contrary to popular belief, I am all Woman.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure