Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    Music Magpie: new quick way to sell unwanted CDs
    • 16th May 08, 2:42 PM
    Music Magpie: new quick way to sell unwanted CDs 16th May 08 at 2:42 PM
    24 Sept 2008

What's the deal?

If you've old CDs you want rid of, but you don't want to give them away, and you can't bear the rigmarole of listing them all on eBay or the like, there's a new trading site which makes it easier.

Music Magpie cuts down the time it takes to sell your CDs by recognising the case barcodes. You just grab a pile of CDs (minimum 5 per transaction) you want to sell, type all their barcodes in to the system, and the site recognises them and gives you an instant offer price.

It's not perfect though; the system wouldn't recognise all the barcodes I tried (especially when the CD was from another country), and sometimes it'll tell you 'we aren't currently buying this CD', presumably when it already has a backlog of copies to shift.

How does it compare?

Generally, you can expect to receive less than you might from eBay/Cash Converters/Cex, and if you've got any rare releases to sell on this isn't the place to do it. Yet if you've shelves full of dusty old 'classic' CDs, this is a great way to clear them out and earn quick cash.

Most CDs go for less than a pound (usually 60-70p), though some double albums, and especially compilations (for some curious reason) can run to £2.50.

I've got an offer. Now what?

If you accept an offer, fill in your details and you'll be sent some postage-paid envelopes to send stuff back in. Once they've received them, you'll be paid. Thus the whole process costs you nothing (though it can take a little while).

Anything else?

The site's also worth a look if you're in the market to buy CDs, as it sells those it receives off pretty cheaply.

Music Magpie has a sister company, Game Magpie, which (unsurprisingly) trades computer games. It works in exactly the same way, but so far doesn't seem to have much stock. If you've tried it, do please let us know how it went.

Huge thanks to betterlatethannever for originally posting this below!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 24-09-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Page 27
    • metalkazzawary
    • By metalkazzawary 16th Feb 16, 8:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    metalkazzawary
    Please be careful- I just sent three boxes to Music Magpie and Ziffit and BOTH claimed they hadn't received one parcel. When I gave them the tracking code, they magically found the parcel and paid immediately. Even though it had been a long time since they were sent. Clearly a way that they are trying to scam you. KEEP YOUR TRACKING NUMBER!
    • caforty
    • By caforty 9th Jun 16, 9:22 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    caforty
    A waste of time!
    Just had the strangest experience with Music Magpie. They offered me £30 for my phone - OK not a fortune but I can't afford to be offended. I followed all instructions, packed my phone in it's excellent condition into its original box, with all original bits and pieces, and sent it well bubble-wrapped up to MM. I got an email to say they had received it then 2 minutes later (really, literally) another email to say it was damaged - screen cracked - and they were offering £2. I was surprised how upset I was. Anyway, I rejected it and they said they'd return it. I thought, that's it, I'll never see the phone again or it'll come back with it's screen smashed to prove the point. Nope. Courier just called to deliver my perfect phone in the box, just like I sent it. Now what was the point of that?!
    Last edited by caforty; 09-06-2016 at 9:25 AM. Reason: typo
    • tonycottee
    • By tonycottee 9th Jun 16, 5:57 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    tonycottee
    Just had the strangest experience with Music Magpie. They offered me £30 for my phone - OK not a fortune but I can't afford to be offended. I followed all instructions, packed my phone in it's excellent condition into its original box, with all original bits and pieces, and sent it well bubble-wrapped up to MM. I got an email to say they had received it then 2 minutes later (really, literally) another email to say it was damaged - screen cracked - and they were offering £2. I was surprised how upset I was. Anyway, I rejected it and they said they'd return it. I thought, that's it, I'll never see the phone again or it'll come back with it's screen smashed to prove the point. Nope. Courier just called to deliver my perfect phone in the box, just like I sent it. Now what was the point of that?!
    Originally posted by caforty
    I had a similar experience last year. I sent them an iphone 5s in perfect condition. After receiving it, they offered £70 instead of the original £130 because it was 'water damaged'.
    I rejected it and they sent it back. I sold it to envirofone for about the £120 in the end
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 9th Jun 16, 7:03 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 3,474 Thanks
    Kite2010
    I would say it is very rare for the likes of Magpie (and other "buy back services" to pay out what they originally offer, using all sorts of excuses to knock down the price. Offer a big payout to appear top of the searches, but claim 'damage' (I can recall someone like Watchdog testing out the services with brand new phones purchased the same day from shops and getting reduced offers for 'damage'.
    • foreverdieting
    • By foreverdieting 14th Jun 16, 3:52 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    foreverdieting
    I was offered £90 for a perfect working iPhone 5. I received an e-mail from them informing me the screen was damaged and an offer of £10. I rejected the offer and they posted the 'phone back. The screen is in perfect condition and I have gone back to Envirofone, who I have used before. The offer is lower, but in my previous experience, they are more honest and professional. Don't believe their inflated prices.
    • almost
    • By almost 14th Jun 16, 9:24 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    almost
    I used Music Magpie a couple of months ago and was genuinely surprised they paid what they said they would do within a few pence - especially as I realised I had left a dvd out of the box that should have been in there! I was fully expecting there to be lots of problems or they wouldnt pay... but no! For once everything went better than expected! I'd use them again.
    Saving to move to a bigger house...
    • minnieono
    • By minnieono 12th Oct 16, 7:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    minnieono
    Avoid Music Magpie
    Sent them my iphone 5c, they broke it, offered me £8 for it, then called me a liar and stopped responding to messages. Appalling customer service, terrible company, avoid like the plague!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,160Posts Today

6,248Users online

Martin's Twitter