Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Weggy
    • By Weggy 19th Nov 05, 10:20 AM
    • 463Posts
    • 98Thanks
    Full and final settlement help thread
    • 19th Nov 05, 10:20 AM
    Full and final settlement help thread 19th Nov 05 at 10:20 AM
    Hi all

Am currently trying to negotiate with debt collection agencies, to get them to accept a full and final settlement figure. Does anyone have any tips on persuading them to lower their demands?

Last edited by MSE Archna; 21-06-2006 at 7:41 AM.
Page 109
    • nextyeartina
    • By nextyeartina 27th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    I've been paying £5 per month for about 5 years now. I understand they don't have to accept a settlement offer. I've been making the offers via email but would get it in writing if they were to make an affordable offer. I haven't done a cca request.

The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000
    • stonesy
    • By stonesy 27th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Offered my DCA 100% full and final, on a 4 year old debt. I stipulated I wanted the default marker removing and updated as settled, late markers removed, date of default blanked etc.

• redux
    • By redux 28th Feb 18, 1:54 AM
    • 18,151 Posts
    • 23,381 Thanks
    They have written to me asked me to confirm my source of funds and would need this need to be paid back?

The answers are my brother and yes they will need to be paid back and i have agreed to do this monthly. Should I tell RW this or can anyone suggest a better response?
    Originally posted by BalanceBy50
    I have often seen the first question (answer: a third party) but not the second. So not sure where they are going with that. I'd be tempted to say no - it's a gift and, as you know, I have no surplus income.
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    I wonder if it's because they seem to be obliged now to make sure people aren't borrowing more money to finance settlement offers. Firms seem to be rather against accepting payment by another credit card.

So I would say it's family money being made available to help settle this, and hope to not be directly asked again whether it has to be paid back, but if pushed say the family are helping with part gift part loan but won't be charging any interest.
    • Debt_suvivor
    • By Debt_suvivor 28th Feb 18, 9:45 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Itís the attitude of paying off debt with more potential debt - itís not particularly viewed as a fair outcome really.
    • Lovetobedebtfree
    • By Lovetobedebtfree 14th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Making a Settlement offer
    Thank you for the information on this forum, outcomes seem to depend on people's circumstances.

I have two credit card debts of 10K

I defaulted 18 months ago and started paying back £5 /month and then bought it up to £25 a month each but then I found out about making a settlement so I have reduced my payments back to £5 and have opened up a savings account to pop any windfall or extra money into to that to be able to offer a settlement lump sum. A mortgage advisor suggested I make an offer and then have no unsecured debt for 2 years after that and then I will be in a stronger position to apply for a mortgage even with a "partially satisfied" mark on my credit record.

I also signed up to Credit Club (MSE service) and have a pre-paid Mastercard which I pay £5.95 a month (this improves your credit rating) and L&Q my landlord send my rent payments to the credit records. So I have been really good for just over two years at paying everything on time but I guess I am trying to speed up the process of being more eligible to buy a mortgage.

I am hoping by the end of 2018 I can offer 40% of my debt if my income keeps increasing and some surprise money arrives!

Is this a good way of doing it? People seem to say they won't accept an offer if you look like you can keep paying a decent amount, luckily before I read this today I did reduce my repayments in January to £5/month to each credit card debt at LINK.

2 Credit cards is the only debt I have had (apart from a Plan A Student Loan) and finally I came to a halt with trying to pay them back and took advice from Step Change and Debtors Anonymous to default and start again in June 2015 but I believe the defaults starts 6 months after that?

Both Debts are now with LINK (one was with Moorcroft and has transferred).

Any advice on the above would be great, is saving for a lump sum of 40% realistic for my circumstances and is there anything else I could do differently to help with my credit score in regards to these debts?
    (I have looked at the 23 things you can do to improve your credit score on MSE and only about 3 apply to me so I am doing them)

Thank you.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 14th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 12,036 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    You don't seem to know when your defaults were registered. You should be able to find this out from your MSE credit club data.

Link are known for offering settlement figures. Maybe start the ball rolling when you can offer 30%
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 14th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 4,446 Thanks
    You don't seem to know when your defaults were registered. You should be able to find this out from your MSE credit club data.

Link are known for offering settlement figures. Maybe start the ball rolling when you can offer 30%
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    Ooh interesting that L*nk are good at F&F's...we have 3 with them totaling nearly 15k....was hoping they would be OK. Awaiting CCA's from them at the moment.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,447. Going SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... £52/£1000.
    Christmas '18 challenge... £19 /£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,228Users online

Martin's Twitter