Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Will the Bank or Post Office exchange my 1p and 2... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Will the Bank or Post Office exchange my 1p and 2p coins??
Closed Thread
Views: 48,208
# 1
xxdiddiexx
Old 11-09-2008, 1:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Will the Bank or Post Office exchange my 1p and 2p coins??

I am having a big massive clearout (due to emigrating) and I have less than 10 in 1p and 2p coins.

If I take it to the Post Office or ANY bank will they exchange it into notes for me?

Thanks
# 2
(Land of) Maz
Old 11-09-2008, 1:35 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

i think they prefer you to pay them into an account... rather than just swap for cash... as long as everything is bagged up to correct weights.

ask you local shop for spare cash bags if you have none....
I'm just a seething mass of contradictions....
(it's part of my charm!)
# 3
brightonman123
Old 11-09-2008, 1:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

i think p/o MAY change, but banks will almosts certainly require deposit into an a/c with them..

i trust they are all bagged up..?
What does the Scroll Lock button do, exactly..?
Former super temp, in finance / telecoms..
# 4
JimmyTheWig
Old 11-09-2008, 1:41 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I believe they will only touch it if it is bagged up in the right quantities. Some banks have a limit on how many bags they will take.

Failing that, you could try spending it. Maybe not all in one go, unless you've got a self-service check-out at your local supermarket, but you could easily get away with 10p or 20p in coppers for each purchase you make.

Then there's the "coinstar" machines in supermarkets. I know they take a great big percentage to turn it in to cash, but does anyone know if they take any money from you if you get vouchers for the shop where it is in?

Or take it to your favourite charity shop as a donation. They will be able to bank it with no problem. Would be a nice note to leave the country on.

All the best with the move.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyTheWig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
xxdiddiexx
Old 11-09-2008, 1:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They are all bagged up and I have some spare bags also. I bank with citi and not too keen on making a trip all the way to Central London just to pay in a tenner.

I am hoping that I will be bale to pass it off to the NatWest bank 5 mins down the road from where I live

Or the Post Office.

Thanks for all the responses so far .

The folk in my local charity shop are the most miserable folk I have ever had the misfortune to come across - so they won't be getting ANYTHING
# 6
(Land of) Maz
Old 11-09-2008, 1:51 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

self service supermarket is a good idea, if you have the brass neck for it!!
I'm just a seething mass of contradictions....
(it's part of my charm!)
The Following User Says Thank You to (Land of) Maz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
xxdiddiexx
Old 11-09-2008, 1:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Land of) Maz View Post
self service supermarket is a good idea, if you have the brass neck for it!!
Thanks I shall look into that. Do they take a cut?
# 8
kazkaz
Old 11-09-2008, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

A couple of my local supermarkets have coin changing machines. You just enter all your coins, doesn't matter if they are not sorted as the machine does that for you. Once all have been collected you get a voucher which you can exchange for either cash or shopping.
I think they charge a small percentage to the pound.

We save all our loose change over the year and change it all at Christmas for a nice treat.
# 9
JimmyTheWig
Old 11-09-2008, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdiddiexx View Post
Thanks I shall look into that. Do they take a cut?
There's two different things at play here.

There's the self-service checkout, where you scan your items yourself and then pay for them by inserting cash / card. They don't take a cut from these machines - in fact you are doing the shop a favour as you are reducing their staffing requirements.

Then there's the "coinstar" machines that I believe take a cut - certainly do if you change your coins for cash.
# 10
tealady
Old 11-09-2008, 2:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to tealady

Hi I woould just go and make some purchases at my local shop. I never have problems offering "scrap" as I call it. I think the banks charge businesses for change so they do appreciate it.
Proud to be an MSE nerd
# 11
Fill_7
Old 12-09-2008, 11:55 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

id change it for you at my PO no problem.

all depends on which member of staff u get and if he/she is in a good mood. but if its only £10 worth, i cant see it being a problem.

hth
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fill_7 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Rainbow Butterfly
Old 12-09-2008, 12:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The coinstar machine where I used to work takes 8%. This always seemed worth it to me though as you just tip everything in and it sorts it for you, saves counting it all out yourself. xx
# 13
violetblue
Old 12-09-2008, 12:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Butterfly View Post
saves counting it all out yourself
I've never understood this :confused: to me counting it all out is the best bit!!

Or is that just me?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to violetblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Rainbow Butterfly
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If ive got a big carrier bag full, then I can think of much better things to do with my time than spend 3 hours counting it, lol. xx
# 15
JimmyTheWig
Old 12-09-2008, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Butterfly View Post
The coinstar machine where I used to work takes 8%. This always seemed worth it to me though as you just tip everything in and it sorts it for you, saves counting it all out yourself. xx
Was that 8% to turn it into cash, or 8% to turn it into vouchers for the shop where you used to work?
# 16
xxdiddiexx
Old 12-09-2008, 6:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fill_7 View Post

all depends on which member of staff u get and if he/she is in a good mood. but if its only 10 worth, i cant see it being a problem.

hth
Thank you
# 17
bathgatebuyer
Old 12-09-2008, 6:33 PM

I certainly use the self-service at ASDA or Tesco (ok, so it's usually first ot last thing when there's no queues or anything!) for purchases and pay in 1s, 2s and 5s (usually at the end of the month!)
Almost debt-free, but certainly even with the Banks!
# 18
money-4-nothing
Old 27-12-2008, 12:07 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fill_7 View Post

all depends on which member of staff u get and if he/she is in a good mood. but if its only 10 worth, i cant see it being a problem.

hth
I used to change them for people but i've stop because too many people try and rip you off. I've found nuts and screws mixed in with the coins, i'll weigh the bags and the weight would be right. Then when ever I come to use that bag of coins, it' would be wrong and my till would be down. Even the people who don't try it on, don't seem to be able to count and 90% of the time there would be the wrong amount in the bags... takes too long so i've stopped changing coins. Unless it's for a little kid with their mum and she asks if I will change a small bag of coins for the odd 5 note that he or she had been saving up.

I had a customer tip a bag of coins all over my counter and wanted me to sort through it all and give him notes. Must of been about 100 worth. Told him I don't change coins and he responded by saying "You've a Post Office Ain't You"... :rolleyes:

The worst people are the ones who want change.... not talking about business customers because they can order change in and pay for the privilege. Every now and again you'd get people who demand 7 in 20p's or want their all their 121 giro in 5 notes. I only give out fivers in change or if the payout was for say 155.
The Following User Says Thank You to money-4-nothing For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
d123
Old 27-12-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheWig View Post
Was that 8% to turn it into cash, or 8% to turn it into vouchers for the shop where you used to work?
The Coinstar machine gives you a voucher which you take to the shops CS desk where they will cash the voucher. I've done this in both an Asda and a Sainsburys with the machine.

Quote:
Coinstar's patented self-service kiosk is easy and fun to use. Just pour in your jar of mixed coins and watch them add up. The Coinstar Centre accurately counts up to 600 coins per minute, saving you the time and effort of sorting, rolling and taking them to the bank. When you cash in, you'll get a voucher to redeem for cash at the store checkout or apply to your purchases. Check your voucher for special promotions or sweepstakes that Coinstar may be offering. In the UK, the fee for our coin counting service is 7.9 pence per pound counted. In Ireland the fee is 9.4 cents per Euro.
http://www.coinstar.co.uk/uk/Webdocs/A1-1

==
==

Last edited by d123; 27-12-2008 at 12:44 AM.
# 20
Fire Fox
Old 27-12-2008, 1:45 AM

I can't understand why any MSE would save up their small change, only to give away 8% to a coin sorting machine! :confused:

Mr. Fire Fox only likes spending notes (don't ask me why!) and has a large jar to chuck his coins in. To me it's dead money, as he'd use the cash machine less often if he spent the change on his daily newspaper and so earn more interest on his savings. He doesn't even like counting it all up, so I have to help out. :rolleyes: I refuse to do the coppers tho!!
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Fox For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread