Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels > Can anyone recmomend a good low-energy portable h... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can anyone recmomend a good low-energy portable heater/radiator
Closed Thread
Views: 46,315
# 1
nudnik
Old 09-09-2008, 8:22 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Can anyone recmomend a good low-energy portable heater/radiator

The flat that we are about to move into has just one main radiator in the hallway so we want to buy a couple of low energy heaters that will heat up small to medium sized rooms effectively without having to be left on for ages or costing too much money. The flat we are moving into has flats on both sides, above and below and has double glazing so we are hoping it will insulate quite well.

If anyone can recommend a good low energy heater that would be most helpful!
# 2
moonrakerz
Old 09-09-2008, 9:09 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

A "low energy" heater will produce a low amount of heat.

I would assume that you are talking about electrical heaters as these tend to be the easiest to buy and install.
These tend to be 100% efficient; if it says it is rated at 2kW it will give out 2kW of heat. At present prices this will cost about 25p per hour if used continuously.
Your choice then is:- fan heater, convector or radiator; each have their own advantages or disadvantages - but all (if rated the same) will give out exactly the same amount of heat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moonrakerz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
nudnik
Old 09-09-2008, 9:17 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakerz View Post
A "low energy" heater will produce a low amount of heat.

I would assume that you are talking about electrical heaters as these tend to be the easiest to buy and install.
These tend to be 100% efficient; if it says it is rated at 2kW it will give out 2kW of heat. At present prices this will cost about 25p per hour if used continuously.
Your choice then is:- fan heater, convector or radiator; each have their own advantages or disadvantages - but all (if rated the same) will give out exactly the same amount of heat.
Basically any heater that we can just plug in to the mains, be it electric or oil filled. We just want a heater that will heat a room efficiently without costing too much to do so.
# 4
Cardew
Old 09-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudnik View Post
Basically any heater that we can just plug in to the mains, be it electric or oil filled. We just want a heater that will heat a room efficiently without costing too much to do so.
Then there is absolutely no difference in running costs(as indicated above).

A £10 heater of any kind will produce exactly the same amount of heat as the most expensive heater on the market.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
cjdean
Old 19-11-2009, 8:11 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Oil Filled

Sorry to step in here so late however I too would like to ask a similar question and share my experiences.

From personal experience I have found oil filled heaters do the job better. They are virtually silent. They may take longer to warm up a room, however I personally find them more homely as they hold their heat when the thermostat kicks in. The fan heaters on the other hand will heat up the room much quicker but are quite loud and bulky.

Did you pick up a heater in the end? What were your experiences? My question is, has anyone tried Halogen heaters, or any other kind? or have any other suggestions for low power heating?

Last edited by cjdean; 19-11-2009 at 8:17 AM.
# 6
Fire Fox
Old 19-11-2009, 1:46 PM

If you want to heat your property using less electricity you need something like an air source heat pump fitted externally but expect to pay around 2K. Other than that some heaters heat up and cool down slowly, others heat up and cool down more quickly but you get exactly the same amount of heat produced for every KWH put in. Halogen heaters are no different, no heater can magically create heat however much you wish it was so.
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
# 7
frankie
Old 19-11-2009, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Have you thought about portable lpg heaters?

Not sure though how these compare to running electric heaters in terms of efficiency/costs.
# 8
cjdean
Old 19-11-2009, 4:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My main problem is that I live on a canal boat so saving space is quite important... Can you get minature LPG heaters?
# 9
cjdean
Old 19-11-2009, 4:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I just popped down to the local market and they have portable LPG heaters for 15 and gas canisters for 5 for 4. Has anyone any experience using these? How long will one can last?
# 10
Fire Fox
Old 19-11-2009, 5:19 PM

I lived on a boat for a while, we had a wood-burning stove which was very economical. Be aware that gas heaters kick out a lot of of water so you will need to ventilate well.
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
# 11
bestcara1
Old 17-09-2010, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Elke heaters are supposed to be VERY economical, their UK importer is at Bridlington, East Yorkshire
# 12
Owain Moneysaver
Old 17-09-2010, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdean View Post
My main problem is that I live on a canal boat so saving space is quite important... Can you get minature LPG heaters?
If you are on a boat then there are specific safety issues with LPG. It is heavier than air and can sink into bilges etc.
# 13
Owain Moneysaver
Old 18-09-2010, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestcara1 View Post
Elke heaters are supposed to be VERY economical, their UK importer is at Bridlington, East Yorkshire
Elke heaters will no more or less economical than any other form of electric heater
# 14
Owain Moneysaver
Old 19-09-2010, 3:20 PM

Default Scotts of Stowe Gas heater "economical"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdean View Post
I just popped down to the local market and they have portable LPG heaters for 15 and gas canisters for 5 for 4. Has anyone any experience using these? How long will one can last?
If they're similar to these ones at Scotts of Stowe then it's a "1.5kW heat" output and "Works for up to 2 hours on single cartridge"

So that's 3kWh per cartridge or 12kWh for 5. That's 41p per kWh. Or 82p per kWh if you buy your cartridges from Scotts - and they describe their heater as "economical".

The first 900 units on EDF Eco 2020 Tariff are charged at 17.75p per kWh. And that has a reputation for being an expensive tariff.
# 15
bestcara1
Old 27-09-2010, 2:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain Moneysaver View Post
Elke heaters will no more or less economical than any other form of electric heater
Well according to the company up at Bridlington they are MUCH more economical than standard electric heaters because of their special patented design.

These heaters are widely used in Austria & Germany were they suffer severe winters, the heater apparently heats up to the desired temperature and is then able to hold that temperature within the clay bed for hours on end without the need to switch back on, therefore saving energy.

Or am I wrong and you know something that I don't, if so I'd love to know as I'm currently considering buying a couple of these. Can you back up your statement with some facts as you sound fairly sure of yourself?
# 16
Andy_WSM
Old 27-09-2010, 3:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Well according to the company up at Bridlington they are MUCH more economical than standard electric heaters because of their special patented design.

These heaters are widely used in Austria & Germany were they suffer severe winters, the heater apparently heats up to the desired temperature and is then able to hold that temperature within the clay bed for hours on end without the need to switch back on, therefore saving energy.

Or am I wrong and you know something that I don't, if so I'd love to know as I'm currently considering buying a couple of these. Can you back up your statement with some facts as you sound fairly sure of yourself?
This is marketing drivel and nothing more.

If you take 1KW/h of energy from an electrical outlet and feed it into a heater - where does that energy go? It's emitted as heat. How can you either gain or lose that electrical energy? Where do you suppose it goes? How do you suppose the "clay bed" creates extra heat?

It doesn't, simple. It's school boy physics. It doesn't need any more backing up than that. I'd challenge the heater manufacturer to back up their fantasy "free heat" claim though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_WSM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Cardew
Old 27-09-2010, 4:56 PM

Quote:

As stated above. It is absolutely certain that these heaters are no more efficient than any other heater - be a 10 fan heater or Granny's old 1/2/3 bar electric fire.

If any heater uses 1 kWh costing xx pence, its heat output(technically in BTu) is exactly the same.

The only difference is the manner in which it delivers that heat. It can be virtually 'instant' like a fan heater, but then it has no residual heat.

or

Something like an oil filled radiator(or any other filling clay etc) In which case it does not produce much heat initially as the energy(electricity) is heating the oil/clay etc, but it retains the heat longer.

However the heat output is the same.

If you want the latter characteristic, then buy a 20 oil filled radiator from Argos.

There are countless firms peddling these radiators for huge amounts of money on misleading claims that they produce more heat, save energy etc and they don't!!

Actually when you read their literature, they are very careful to word it so they cannot be prosecuted.

I don't know what other proof you want, I am a Chartered Electrical Engineer if that means anything to you. However it really is no more than 'O' level physics to understand you don't get owt for nowt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Pincher
Old 27-09-2010, 9:34 PM

There is no point in using small cannisters to heat a whole room.
You would be changing them continuously.

These look quite nice:

http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.u...ot-heater.html

http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.u...ing-flame.html

I have one of these for back up:

http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.u...elongblue.html

Makro was selling them for about 70.

They all use 7kg and 15kg Calorgas butane.
What happens if you push this button?
# 19
Pincher
Old 28-09-2010, 12:38 AM

Let me introduce you to my new personal heating product, that is so efficient, it's almost cost free.

Intensive R&D in our labs in have resulted in our revolutionary product. Traditional forms of heating heats the house, which doesn't feel cold, when it's the people who need to be heated. What with hamburgers and greasy chips, we all carry an excess of body fat, which is a natural resource we can all tap into.

We have found that a chemical compound can target fat cells in the body, and convert them into little fuel cells. All you have to do is take a pill, and the chemicals will collect in your body's fat cells.
You install a radiant antenna in each room in your house. The antennae radiate an electromagnetic waveform specifically designed to trigger the fat cells that have been primed by the chemicals.

As the fat cells release their chemical energy in the form of heat, carbon dioxide and water are produced, which are conducted by your blood stream to be disposed of by your lungs and bladders in the usual manner.

The process is totally safe, and claims of spontaneous human combustion are just rumours spread by our competitors jealous of our achievements.

Instead of paying for electricity and gas, all you have to do is eat more chips to keep warm.
What happens if you push this button?
# 20
frankie
Old 28-09-2010, 10:18 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Pincher, that sounds brilliant!

Do you know if I can get one through Quidco!

Also technically speaking if the fuel consisted of baked beans would the system be convertible to warm air heating?
Closed Thread