Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • feclmum
    • By feclmum 29th Aug 08, 3:46 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    feclmum
    • 29th Aug 08, 3:46 PM
    • 29th Aug 08, 3:46 PM
    it vcost me £25 to have my chimney swept dont know about removing the tubing
  • Gangstabird
    • 29th Aug 08, 3:48 PM
    • 29th Aug 08, 3:48 PM
    It's going to cost me £45.00 to have my chimney swept next week for the first time in about 60 years. Can you not pull out the tubing yourself or ask one of the plasterers to get it.
  • emilyt
    • 29th Aug 08, 3:52 PM
    • 29th Aug 08, 3:52 PM
    I have just been quoted £28.00 for our chimney to be swept. This was from the company where we buy are coal from.
    Sorry never heard of having tubing removed from a chimney. (Goes off to google).
    Maybe a phone call to your local coal merchants, might be cheaper.

You learn something new everyday http://www.chimneyline.com/chimneyliningtechniques.htm
    Last edited by emilyt; 29-08-2008 at 3:58 PM.
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile
  • oslamp
    • 29th Aug 08, 5:04 PM
    • 29th Aug 08, 5:04 PM
    The 'tubing' is the chimney liner that is still present. Note I also had a back boiler as part of this fireplace. Rarely used nowadays. It needs to be replaced and I have read up this is a job left to the pros.

I think it will be more than £40 but £250 seems excessive
  • Flyfisher
    • 29th Aug 08, 9:38 PM
    • 29th Aug 08, 9:38 PM
    By tubing do you mean a corrugated gas/oil flue liner ?
    These are usually fixed to an aluminium terminal on top of the chimney; would probably require going on the roof to remove and make good with new chimney pot.
    What fuel are you going to burn in the fire place?
  • evilgoose
    • 29th Aug 08, 9:47 PM
    • 29th Aug 08, 9:47 PM
    To have a lined flue and a back boiler (on an open fireplace) seems an odd combination, I wouldn't have expected the chimney to have a lining if its an open fireplace and old enough to have a back boiler.

I recently paid about £150 for four chimneys to be swept.

If there is a flue then it should be clamped to the chimney pot at the top end, (so dont yank it down!!) and depending on how its fitted, it will be packed around the outside (between the lining and the innerface of the chimney) with vermiculite, then a register plate at the bottom of the fire. (I thought that flue lining tends to be for stoves and gas fires)
  • oslamp
    • 30th Aug 08, 12:18 AM
    • 30th Aug 08, 12:18 AM
    Fuel type - Will be using Gas

Liner - yes the liner is the corrugated gas/oil flue liner
  • Flyfisher
    • 30th Aug 08, 11:15 PM
    • 30th Aug 08, 11:15 PM
    Can't understand why it would need sweeping if you had gas.:confused: The act of pulling the old liner out should dislodge any dust or soot in the chimney if it was previously a coal fire.

Unless you are using a balanced flue system you will have to put a new liner up the chimney.
  • hu3971
    Before you pay anyone to do anything, what do you want from your fireplace once you have had a refurb ?

I am a hetas engineer and as part of course of installing a new woodburner or open fire, we would remove the old liner, sweep and then proceed to put in a new liner etc.

Just think about what you want the end product to be and you may well be able to get a registered hetas engineer to do the lot for a lot less money.
    • jess1974
    • By jess1974 9th Jan 11, 9:26 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    jess1974
    My sweep does my chimney for £12, can you not buy a set of rods and do it yourself....
    • phill99
    • By phill99 9th Jan 11, 9:35 PM
    • 7,228 Posts
    • 6,358 Thanks
    phill99
    Why on earth have you both commented on a post that is over 2 years old?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • jess1974
    • By jess1974 9th Jan 11, 10:32 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    jess1974
    Why on earth have you both commented on a post that is over 2 years old?
    Originally posted by phill99
    Why have you bothered to comment just to be rude......
  • techmob
    While on topic I have just paid £45
  • MasterSweeps
    Chimney Sweep Cost
    Hi

I am a chimney sweep. I charge £40 for a standard fireplace or stove sweep.

It takes approx. one to one and a half hours to clean a chimney flue correctly. Then of course there is the travelling time to the property to take into consideration, the wear and tear on the vehicle, the petrol costs, tax, insurance, public liability insurance, wear and tear on the equipment, income tax and N.I contributions, annual registration costs for HETAS and chimney sweeps association etc. On top of aall of those expenses are the daily cleaning of all tools and equipment at the end of the working day and the twice weekly cleaning and drying of all the sheets used. Of course there are the associated advertising costs too.

Chimney sweeping is quite a manual occupation, hard on the knees and back and quite a dirty occupation. Charging £40 for a chimney sweep is a reasonable cost and no chimney sweep will ever get rich from their job.

When one considers that gas engineers and plumbers charge £80 on average just for a twenty minute call out job the cost of a chimney sweep suddenly looks quite reasonable.

Chimney sweeping is not just about running a brush and rod up a chimney. There is a lot more to it than that. Knowledge regarding the different constructions of chimney flues and fire appliances is required.

In terms of the question started and posed by the person who started this thread, the first question I would ask is why the flexi flue liner needs to be removed. Did the company conduct a smoke pressure test to determine if the liner was no longer in good working condition?

I have come across many customers in the course of my chimney sweep business who have been told by stove and fireplace installation companies that they would need to replace the existing flue liner just because the company was installing a new fireplace or stove.

Liners only need to be replaced when they become corroded and leak gases / smoke. However, there is more money to be made for the company if the automatically replace the flue liner for a new one.

However, the person who started this thread made no mention of a new liner needing to be installed. the thread started simply stated that they had been told they needed to remove the 'pipe' (I assume they mean liner) and have the chimney swept. For this the quoted cost is £240?

This is a bit excessive. The company will need to get on the roof to insert a new liner anyway. So, since they are already on the roof they can quickly and easily remove the liner in under 20 mins. It's a simple case of pulling the liner back up through the chimney. I wouldn't be prepared to pay more than £120 for the sweeep and removal of liner.

Shop around is the advise.

I personally wouldn't pay more than
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 21st Jan 13, 6:07 PM
    • 4,935 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Chimney Sweeps seem to be a dying breed. I've phoned 3 up and either the number doesn't exist now or they say they don't sweep anymore.

Managed to get one quote for £68 + £10 fuel charge just to come 10 miles!!!

I only paid £35 two years ago.
    Lee's No More Takeaways Club No.1
    • muckybutt
    • By muckybutt 21st Jan 13, 6:29 PM
    • 3,622 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    muckybutt
    Chimney Sweeps seem to be a dying breed. I've phoned 3 up and either the number doesn't exist now or they say they don't sweep anymore.

Managed to get one quote for £68 + £10 fuel charge just to come 10 miles!!!

I only paid £35 two years ago.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    They are that...apart from me that is lol

In the last 4 years 4 sweeps have packed in near me, 2 retired 2 passed away !, not complaining though as it keeps me busy

The fuel charge is a bit ott £10 for a 20 mile round trip is taking the pee, I charge by distance, the further away the more you pay.
    A call within 10 miles is £30
    15 - 20 miles £35
    20 - 25 miles £40
    25 upto 35 miles £45
    Additional chimneys are a tenner each.
    Different prices for nest removal.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 22nd Jan 13, 12:14 PM
    • 4,935 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    LeeUK
    They are that...apart from me that is lol

In the last 4 years 4 sweeps have packed in near me, 2 retired 2 passed away !, not complaining though as it keeps me busy

The fuel charge is a bit ott £10 for a 20 mile round trip is taking the pee, I charge by distance, the further away the more you pay.
    A call within 10 miles is £30
    15 - 20 miles £35
    20 - 25 miles £40
    25 upto 35 miles £45
    Additional chimneys are a tenner each.
    Different prices for nest removal.
    Originally posted by muckybutt
    I think it was a bit cheeky of them asking for additional £10 fuel charge. Never been asked to pay fuel separately before by any trade.

Plus they should be glad of the work as only reason why I contacted one 10 miles away was because the local ones have packed in.
    Lee's No More Takeaways Club No.1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

3,206Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @CouncilReporter: How London's skyline will evolve if the 250 high rise towers planned or underway in the capital go ahead as planned ht?

• Age UK boss is right to say on BBC news "you cant compare 2yr fix to a 1yr fix" yet for a decent time it was expensive compared to 2yr fixes

• RT @MoneyTelegraph: Use the same password for everything? You're fuelling a surge in current account fraud https://t.co/hLRY5gkZoE

• Follow Martin