IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cost of chimney Sweep
Views: 87,041
# 1
oslamp
Old 29-08-2008, 3:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Cost of chimney Sweep

Hi

I am currently refurbishing my lounge and have removed the fireplace (and attached back boiler). Plasterers are currently at work tidying up.

I understand I need to have my chimney swept and the tubing removed . The fireplace company told us this and I got a quote from their recommended company and it is 250+VAT for 2hrs work. Is this right?

I have heard quotes of 40-50

Please help here
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
feclmum
Old 29-08-2008, 3:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

it vcost me 25 to have my chimney swept dont know about removing the tubing
# 3
Gangstabird
Old 29-08-2008, 3:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's going to cost me 45.00 to have my chimney swept next week for the first time in about 60 years. Can you not pull out the tubing yourself or ask one of the plasterers to get it.
# 4
emilyt
Old 29-08-2008, 3:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I have just been quoted 28.00 for our chimney to be swept. This was from the company where we buy are coal from.
Sorry never heard of having tubing removed from a chimney. (Goes off to google).
Maybe a phone call to your local coal merchants, might be cheaper.

You learn something new everyday http://www.chimneyline.com/chimneyliningtechniques.htm
When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile

Last edited by emilyt; 29-08-2008 at 3:58 PM.
# 5
oslamp
Old 29-08-2008, 5:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The 'tubing' is the chimney liner that is still present. Note I also had a back boiler as part of this fireplace. Rarely used nowadays. It needs to be replaced and I have read up this is a job left to the pros.

I think it will be more than 40 but 250 seems excessive
# 6
Flyfisher
Old 29-08-2008, 9:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

By tubing do you mean a corrugated gas/oil flue liner ?
These are usually fixed to an aluminium terminal on top of the chimney; would probably require going on the roof to remove and make good with new chimney pot.
What fuel are you going to burn in the fire place?
# 7
evilgoose
Old 29-08-2008, 9:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

To have a lined flue and a back boiler (on an open fireplace) seems an odd combination, I wouldn't have expected the chimney to have a lining if its an open fireplace and old enough to have a back boiler.

I recently paid about £150 for four chimneys to be swept.

If there is a flue then it should be clamped to the chimney pot at the top end, (so dont yank it down!!) and depending on how its fitted, it will be packed around the outside (between the lining and the innerface of the chimney) with vermiculite, then a register plate at the bottom of the fire. (I thought that flue lining tends to be for stoves and gas fires)
# 8
oslamp
Old 30-08-2008, 12:18 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Fuel type - Will be using Gas

Liner - yes the liner is the corrugated gas/oil flue liner
# 9
Flyfisher
Old 30-08-2008, 11:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Can't understand why it would need sweeping if you had gas.:confused: The act of pulling the old liner out should dislodge any dust or soot in the chimney if it was previously a coal fire.

Unless you are using a balanced flue system you will have to put a new liner up the chimney.
# 10
hu3971
Old 09-01-2011, 9:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Before you pay anyone to do anything, what do you want from your fireplace once you have had a refurb ?

I am a hetas engineer and as part of course of installing a new woodburner or open fire, we would remove the old liner, sweep and then proceed to put in a new liner etc.

Just think about what you want the end product to be and you may well be able to get a registered hetas engineer to do the lot for a lot less money.
# 11
jess1974
Old 09-01-2011, 9:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My sweep does my chimney for 12, can you not buy a set of rods and do it yourself....
# 12
phill99
Old 09-01-2011, 9:35 PM

Why on earth have you both commented on a post that is over 2 years old?
Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
# 13
jess1974
Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill99 View Post
Why on earth have you both commented on a post that is over 2 years old?
Why have you bothered to comment just to be rude......
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jess1974 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
techmob
Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

While on topic I have just paid 45
# 15
MasterSweeps
Old 01-04-2011, 7:45 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Chimney Sweep Cost

Hi

I am a chimney sweep. I charge 40 for a standard fireplace or stove sweep.

It takes approx. one to one and a half hours to clean a chimney flue correctly. Then of course there is the travelling time to the property to take into consideration, the wear and tear on the vehicle, the petrol costs, tax, insurance, public liability insurance, wear and tear on the equipment, income tax and N.I contributions, annual registration costs for HETAS and chimney sweeps association etc. On top of aall of those expenses are the daily cleaning of all tools and equipment at the end of the working day and the twice weekly cleaning and drying of all the sheets used. Of course there are the associated advertising costs too.

Chimney sweeping is quite a manual occupation, hard on the knees and back and quite a dirty occupation. Charging 40 for a chimney sweep is a reasonable cost and no chimney sweep will ever get rich from their job.

When one considers that gas engineers and plumbers charge 80 on average just for a twenty minute call out job the cost of a chimney sweep suddenly looks quite reasonable.

Chimney sweeping is not just about running a brush and rod up a chimney. There is a lot more to it than that. Knowledge regarding the different constructions of chimney flues and fire appliances is required.

In terms of the question started and posed by the person who started this thread, the first question I would ask is why the flexi flue liner needs to be removed. Did the company conduct a smoke pressure test to determine if the liner was no longer in good working condition?

I have come across many customers in the course of my chimney sweep business who have been told by stove and fireplace installation companies that they would need to replace the existing flue liner just because the company was installing a new fireplace or stove.

Liners only need to be replaced when they become corroded and leak gases / smoke. However, there is more money to be made for the company if the automatically replace the flue liner for a new one.

However, the person who started this thread made no mention of a new liner needing to be installed. the thread started simply stated that they had been told they needed to remove the 'pipe' (I assume they mean liner) and have the chimney swept. For this the quoted cost is 240?

This is a bit excessive. The company will need to get on the roof to insert a new liner anyway. So, since they are already on the roof they can quickly and easily remove the liner in under 20 mins. It's a simple case of pulling the liner back up through the chimney. I wouldn't be prepared to pay more than 120 for the sweeep and removal of liner.

Shop around is the advise.

I personally wouldn't pay more than
The Following User Says Thank You to MasterSweeps For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
LeeUK
Old 21-01-2013, 6:07 PM

Chimney Sweeps seem to be a dying breed. I've phoned 3 up and either the number doesn't exist now or they say they don't sweep anymore.

Managed to get one quote for 68 + 10 fuel charge just to come 10 miles!!!

I only paid 35 two years ago.
Lee's No More Kebab Club No.1
# 17
muckybutt
Old 21-01-2013, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeUK View Post
Chimney Sweeps seem to be a dying breed. I've phoned 3 up and either the number doesn't exist now or they say they don't sweep anymore.

Managed to get one quote for 68 + 10 fuel charge just to come 10 miles!!!

I only paid 35 two years ago.
They are that...apart from me that is lol

In the last 4 years 4 sweeps have packed in near me, 2 retired 2 passed away !, not complaining though as it keeps me busy

The fuel charge is a bit ott 10 for a 20 mile round trip is taking the pee, I charge by distance, the further away the more you pay.
A call within 10 miles is 30
15 - 20 miles 35
20 - 25 miles 40
25 upto 35 miles 45
Additional chimneys are a tenner each.
Different prices for nest removal.
You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
The Following User Says Thank You to muckybutt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
LeeUK
Old 22-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckybutt View Post
They are that...apart from me that is lol

In the last 4 years 4 sweeps have packed in near me, 2 retired 2 passed away !, not complaining though as it keeps me busy

The fuel charge is a bit ott 10 for a 20 mile round trip is taking the pee, I charge by distance, the further away the more you pay.
A call within 10 miles is 30
15 - 20 miles 35
20 - 25 miles 40
25 upto 35 miles 45
Additional chimneys are a tenner each.
Different prices for nest removal.
I think it was a bit cheeky of them asking for additional 10 fuel charge. Never been asked to pay fuel separately before by any trade.

Plus they should be glad of the work as only reason why I contacted one 10 miles away was because the local ones have packed in.
Lee's No More Kebab Club No.1
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeUK For This Useful Post: Show me >>