IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Anyone got a fish smell??
Closed Thread
Views: 22,264
# 1
Mandles
Old 10-11-2005, 9:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Anyone got a fish smell??

I thought i'd be helpful as i posted a question. If you have a fish smell in your house & cant work out where it is coming from why not check out your lights and faulty wiring somewhere!! A loose connection can cauuse a fishy smell as we discovered..its handy having an electrician husband!

Last edited by Mandles; 17-10-2008 at 11:29 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
robowen
Old 10-11-2005, 10:29 PM

You got me thinking now

We have a fishy smell in our lounge from time to time...it comes from around the doorway as you enter the room...near the lightswitch.

and.......I have suspected something wrong with the wiring....our light sometimes flicker...and when they pop........they POP !

FILaw wired everything up.(ex-leccy board inspector).....not good wiring

Will be checking wiring tomorrow.....with trips off !

rob
If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''

Last edited by robowen; 10-11-2005 at 10:38 PM.
# 3
uncle_buck
Old 10-11-2005, 11:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yeah the material that switches & sockets are made from does give of a fishy type smell when it starts to get to hot / burn!
# 4
DilbertJones
Old 10-11-2005, 11:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

also tesco lightbulbs give off a fishy smell

honest
# 5
Mandles
Old 11-11-2005, 9:05 AM

We believe you..... but a little wash is also recommended!
# 6
thetope
Old 11-11-2005, 9:29 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

my boyfriend had this prob on his upstairs landing, though thankfully we identified the light as the source pretty much straight away. very disgusting smell, thankfully a new light fitting from b&Q sorted it out no probs!
# 7
Seamus
Old 11-11-2005, 12:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I had this exact thing last week when I fitted an old 150watt bulb in the bedroom while I decorated. Took me a while to work out what it was.

I remember reading about a woman who stitched prawns into her ex-husbands curtains and it took him months to work out where the stink was coming from.
# 8
Hunnymonster
Old 11-11-2005, 12:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's the bakelite of the light fitting decomposing under heat.

Bakelite is a nice sounding material - but not so nice when you realise it's a polymer of Urea Formaldehyde - which breaks down under heat into it's constituent chemicals, Urea (as found in wee) and Formaldehyde (as found at the undertakers).

I replaced all my bakelite lampholders with brass ones - not a costly exercise to do, and you never get the fishy/wee smell again and no more problems removing the lampshades because the bakelite collar has been decomposed.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
The Following User Says Thank You to Hunnymonster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
AuntyJean
Old 12-11-2005, 7:47 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Some years ago in work I too noticed a fishy smell.

A visitor went straight to the plug where the heater was plugged in and the plug was hot!. He said it was a safety feature built into plugs to warn of bad connections. Now I'm wondering whether it was the plug or the socket. I will say that it was quite a few years ago now but I've never forgotten it.
# 10
Loobeylou
Old 12-11-2005, 8:12 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes, we had salmon for tea last night.
# 11
wolfehouse
Old 12-11-2005, 9:00 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We had a fishy smell for months and blamed it on our poor teenage daughter, until smoke started pouring out of the circuit board cupboard. i didn't know circuit breaker boards could 'blow'. now that i'm wiser, i would check out everything electrical before accusing the poor hormone ridden crowd of bad hygeine.
# 12
Tra77
Old 29-08-2008, 11:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have the same smell that has just appeared and seems to be coming from my Aldi Delta microwave oven (which I very rarely use). It smells quite strong near the back (where the vents and such are) as opposed to inside the appliance itself (so nothing I have cooked in it!). However, on reading this thread it's now got me thinking as my imersion heater switch and double plug socket (for fridge-freezer & microwave) in housed behind this.
@//(*_*)\\@ 'MoneySavingExpert' - It costs nothing to say thanks! @//(*_*)\\@
# 13
lil_miss_17
Old 29-08-2008, 11:55 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

we had a fish smell too once - turned out to be damp in the floorboards coming in from next door (semi detatched). Some fungi give off a fishy odour too so don't assume it's the electrics
The Following User Says Thank You to lil_miss_17 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
debras5538
Old 16-10-2008, 10:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thank you so much for the posts that led me to check my outlets following a really bad fish smell everytime we used the microwave. We found a burning outlet inside the wall! It has been burning for over a week, all the steel wires in the outlet were melted. So, I feel like you probably saved our lives with this information!! I thought it was a bad microwave!
How useful to know that fish smell can mean you have an electrical fire brewing in your walls, so check your outlets!!
God Bless You and thank-You!!!!
Debras5538
The Following User Says Thank You to debras5538 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
amanda40
Old 16-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Anyone any wiser on a smell from central heating more a BO type of smell - It is seems to be coming from either radiator, window or blind but everyone I ask says they cant smell it - It is driving me mad!!
No Longer addicted to Boots! - Well not today anyway!!
The Following User Says Thank You to amanda40 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Mandles
Old 17-10-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debras5538 View Post
Thank you so much for the posts that led me to check my outlets following a really bad fish smell everytime we used the microwave. We found a burning outlet inside the wall! It has been burning for over a week, all the steel wires in the outlet were melted. So, I feel like you probably saved our lives with this information!! I thought it was a bad microwave!
How useful to know that fish smell can mean you have an electrical fire brewing in your walls, so check your outlets!!
God Bless You and thank-You!!!!
Debras5538
So glad to have helped. That was really worrying. So glad you found it in time.
# 17
Pink_fluff
Old 17-10-2008, 11:47 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfehouse View Post
We had a fishy smell for months and blamed it on our poor teenage daughter, until smoke started pouring out of the circuit board cupboard. i didn't know circuit breaker boards could 'blow'. now that i'm wiser, i would check out everything electrical before accusing the poor hormone ridden crowd of bad hygeine.

Your poor daughter!
# 18
cookie monster
Old 17-10-2008, 11:50 AM

We got a fishy smell coming from the main circuit board when we use the shower downstairs, had a sparkie come round and have a look at it and he could find nothing wrong.
# 19
27col
Old 18-10-2008, 9:34 AM

As a retired electrician, I can say that the smell of overheated insulation is unmistakeable. Once you have smelled it, you never forget it, and you always hunt down the cause, because that smell is never good news.
IF YOU FIND A HOT PLUG, IT IS NOT A SAFETY FEATURE. IT IS A FAULT.
I can afford anything that I want.
Just so long as I don't want much.

Last edited by 27col; 20-10-2008 at 2:47 PM. Reason: Punctuation correction.
The Following User Says Thank You to 27col For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread