Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > How much does it cost to ring a British Gas 0845 ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much does it cost to ring a British Gas 0845 from a mobile phone?
Closed Thread
Views: 20,727
# 1
Privateer
Old 20-08-2008, 11:37 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default How much does it cost to ring a British Gas 0845 from a mobile phone?

Hi,

Yesterday I was expecting a British Gas engineer to turn up to service my gas boiler, guess what they didnít turn up. I didnít have access to a land line so I had to use my O2 mobile phone to ring their 0845 9 500 400 contact number. The phone call lasted 34 minutes and 37 seconds.

Afterwards, I rang the O2 help line and I was astonished to find that (according to the representative on the O2 help desk) companies can set the call charge from anything between 40 pence to £1.50 per minute for mobile phones to call their 0845 numbers.

Now, thanks to the great people here at MSE I know about the SAYNOTO0870.COM website and thanks to the people who contribute to the SAYNOTO0870.COM website I found the geographic number for 0845 9 500 400 (which is 01698 802101 BTW).

Fortunately I rang the British Gas geographic number for free as it was within my mobile monthly allowance, but as I could have be charged anything between £13.85 and £51.96 for a 34.617 minute call to the British Gas 0845 number, Iíd like to know how much British Gas rip off mobile users.

The moral of this story is to use MSE and the SAYNOTO0870.COM website!

Iíve tried to find out the cost of ringing British Gas 0845 numbers from a mobile, by browsing their website but Iíve had no luck. I donít want to ring them as I canít face speaking to somebody who probably would know the answer!

Does anybody here know the cost of ringing British Gas 0845 numbers from a mobile?

Many thanks,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Privateer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Sid Harper
Old 20-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm afraid all you say is well known in this forum and nothing to do with British Gas (apart from their choosing to use 0845 numbers, like many companies do)_.

O2 will determine the cost, not BG, on what these calls will cost. Look on O2's website.

And yes, calling non-geographical numbers such as 08xxx will generally not be part of your allowance and cost at least as much as a landline called out of your allowance. If you search on here, there has been plenty of debate...
The thanks button is here to the right. If you find a post saves you money, gives you useful information, or you agree with it, take a second to thank the poster! --------->>>
The Following User Says Thank You to Sid Harper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread