Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Nett... (Page 8)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt
Views: 769,500
# 141
silkyjanix
Old 09-11-2005, 3:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

LIDL

What to buy:
Own version of mini-magnums - but wait until frozen products are all on offer
Mini Viennetta in an pink box - ditto
Fresh mozeralla cheese, heaps cheaper than anywhere else
Fresh bratwurst sausages, 85% pork and they cook up ginormous!

Don't buy:
Tinned pineapple, completely tasteless and woody

By the way, yes the baked beans are awful BUT the beans you get in the Pork Sausage and Beans are really nice. Just pick out the sausage if you must...
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 142
goblin
Old 09-11-2005, 3:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Lidl

Don't laugh ... but I like the baked beans. My son, however, is a bb aficionado and hates them.
I used their liquid wash gel tabs for coloured wash and it took loadsa colour out of my flippin' clothes!

things that are ok:
cottage cheese (rich, creamy and cheap)
cartons of grapefruit juice
chopped tinned tomatoes
mushy peas
free range eggs
I agree - their free flow frozen minced beef is excellent steak quality

things to avoid:

the wash gel tabs as above
toilet cleaner - thin and useless
# 143
DVin
Old 09-11-2005, 3:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Aldi

buy - orange juice, wine gums, wine
dont buy - fruit or spagetti in a tin

lidl
buy - chocolate, bottled water, body spray
dont buy - fruit and veg, lemonade
# 144
DaisyDaisy
Old 09-11-2005, 3:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Lidle
Buy:
Smoked Salmon (lovely and thick and a real bargain)
olives
fruit juice
nuts- esp cashew nuts
wine- most of the £4-£5 bottles are very very good.
cheeses

Avoid
tined tuna salad (my fault i guess- tinned salad!!! it was like cat food)
fruit and veg- some has mould on it in store
fresh herb plants- brought flies into my kitchen!
# 145
Bargain_Annie
Old 09-11-2005, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Lidl beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicmankev
Buy baked beans from Netto - better than heinz

Don't buy baked beans from Lidl - They are the worst thing on this earth!
You can say that again......and again
# 146
Addicted2Chocolate
Old 09-11-2005, 4:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thumbs up lidle olive oil

I's 2nd this the olive oil is fantastric and very cheap compared with main supermarkets, i stock up on about 5 bottles at a time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaziep
Lidle Olive oil is excellent - a friend who runs a restaurant uses it all the time. We also buy the juices, meat, yoghurt and cheese regularly. Kitchen roll and toilet rolls are good value. Look at the wines - some are very good - eg Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon!
# 147
1connect
Old 09-11-2005, 4:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default what NOT to buy

What to buy
Lidl: vegetables & fruit , most products are excellent usually the best of the 3 bargain basement supermarkets,
Aldi second best, but still good.

What NOT to buy.
right this applies to all 3 supermarkets... bear with me ... this requires explanation...do not buy goods with trans fatty acids added, you can tell by looking for Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil on the label - AVOID LIKE THE PLAUGE

Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil increases bad cholesterol and decreases good cholesterol it is the favourite cheap "filler" compound for food producers, because its CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP and makes things more creamy and improves shelf life , however there is mounting evidence that this stuff is terrible for you, think of good fats as the consistency of engine oil, think of trans fats as candle wax, trans fats clog and block things up, the body cannot deal with them very well or very quickly, the point I make here is that low quality foods containing TFA are cheaper to produce but not good for you , therefore I make the following recommendation - go to Lidl and buy products without HVO cos they seem to have a much wider selection of foods that are not tainted with this vile cheap goo that the uk food industry is so in love with ... ask yourself the question “do you trust the uk food industry?” nope thought not their interest is in profit first & peoples health second, they don’t represent the consumer they represent the producers and retailers.

If you doubt what I say just Google Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil and Trans Fatty Acids, you will find two opinions 1) the food industry saying there is no evidence - please don’t take away our cheap filler and 2) health reports and eminent doctors saying it underlies obesity and heart disease and atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)

I would use all 3 supermarkets to buy non HVO products but it seems that LIDL has the most selection and for some reason the lidl's abroad in france etc have virually no products with HVO FTA in –anyway well done LIDL for having the best range of non TFA products in the uk.

1connect
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1connect For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 148
soba
Old 09-11-2005, 4:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks, 1connect for that information. We've been avoiding hydrogenated oils for the past year or so since we found out about the health inplications. I must say that it makes your shopping trip a bit longer though having to thoroughly read the ingredients, but we think that is time well spent. Slightly OT, we've been trying to source frozen (or fresh) puff pastry without HVO but it's not been easy. However, managed to get some at Farmfoods yesterday. I've tried making my own, but it wasn't a great success!

Last edited by soba; 09-11-2005 at 5:41 PM.
# 149
Tunchie
Old 09-11-2005, 4:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

My all time favourite at Lidl is their totally brilliant lemon bathroom cleaner. Best cleaner I've tried and leaves lovely smell behind too.
# 150
Sunnydays
Old 09-11-2005, 4:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Lidl Apple Juice

Lidl pure apple juice - not from concentrate and no additives is absolutely delicious, and at 69p for a litre - wow, you just can't beat it.
Also their litre of Tomato Juice is the tastiest around also.
# 151
gobbo
Old 09-11-2005, 4:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Talking Netto , Lidl , Aldi

all 3 are good . own brands usually same price as tesco value range but better packaging - not designed to put you off and taste nicer -

in particular

lidl

belgian chocolate seashells cost £1.75 onstead of £4 a box in big supermarkets , I believe only one company makes these so they must be the same ones.

All chocolate - it complies with the german chocolate rules which have a higher minimum cocao content

the xmas chocolate / gingerbread products are excellent

wine quite good

hatherwood tinned bitter beer is one of the best in tins you can get and is only £1.99 for 4 large cans

graffenwalder lager 65p a tin is excelent lager brewed under the german purity laws

frozen turkey steaks in marinade is lovely

chocolate moose desert (4 pack)

feta cheese

checkout staff also much quicker than the big 4 so you don't have to wait so long.

Netto

greek yoghurt

99p cheese

youhurts

cornettos

wine offers can be very good - have had a temperillo for 6 bottles for £12 for a while and its very nice

prunes and apricots in a packet

cottage cheese

danish apple/ blackcurrent rounds

Aldi

don't go there much but generally quite good

I can get nearly everything I want from a comination of Netto and Lidl with the occasional visit to morrisions for other items - usually bottled beer or grapefruits as these seem to be seasonal at lidl
# 152
janmack
Old 09-11-2005, 4:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up janmack

Aldi
- Booze!
Especially badger's Creek red wine ( the white's pretty good too if they're still doing it at £2.99)

Continental cheeses - all the German ones plus Parmesan - fantastic price of £1.99, about half what you'd pay elsewhere. Try the Devine Feta in jars in oil and chillies etc or packets of Finest Antipasti feta in oil,herbs etc.

The part baked bread is excellent and cheap too and some of their wholemealy type bread is fab.

Don't forget the German and Italian vacuum packed hams, yummy and great value.

Bon appetit!
# 153
laney365
Old 09-11-2005, 5:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

ALDI

Try the wine and spirits, a good range at reasonable prices. For everyday glug - try Baron St Jean at £2.49, a young wine (so I'm told) but a good all rounder and our friends regularly drink it (without knowing) and still visit!
# 154
Mickyswad
Old 09-11-2005, 5:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Aldi

All a matter of personal taste as they say, but,

Love the baked beans,tinned tomatoes,baby wipes, washing powder,dishwasher tablets,stollen cake,light bulbs,bottled beer,some of the wines,tinned fruit,mushy peas,fresh soup in the fridge dept.

Hate the tinned soups,bread.

Also bought a lap top approx year ago.Good value and still in perfect working order.

value for money store
# 155
FionaMcG
Old 09-11-2005, 5:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

A lot of the stuff sold in seasonal lines in Aldi and Lidl is the quality stuff from Germany; I assume they sell it cheap here because it's not well known.
I always go in at Christmas and look at the biscuits and cakes. I got a gorgoeus decorated tin of Oblaten Lebkuchen from Nurnberg once, which is the real stuff and expensive to buy over there. Give as presents and look like you went to a Christmas market!
My friends in Germany use Aldi a lot as it's the only shop in their village, and they swear by their red wine and sparkling wine (might be called Sekt).
And I bought my mum and dad a meat slicing machine which they have used regularly for several years.
# 156
bfuk
Old 09-11-2005, 5:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Lidl is bangin innit?!

Lidl:
Great for....

Golden Sun Bourbon (just like Jack Daniels)
Mini Jaffa Cakes.
Candles
Fish
Prawns
Cheese
Bacon
Tuna in olive oil

Not Great For..

Rolls
Veg (unless you eat it swiftly)
# 157
Bravo800
Old 09-11-2005, 5:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Lidl BUY: Vanilla Ice Cream (has bits of vanilla in it and tastes great!)
Bravo800
# 158
Gooney Scuba
Old 09-11-2005, 6:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Lidl Whisky

Surprised no one has mentioned the malt whiskey at Lidl's - It's in a green box (usually empty so you need to ask for the actual bottle) 12yr old single malt. A bit peaty but not overly so. Great on it's own or also as a "Jock and Ginger" with some ginger beer or with coke. £12.
# 159
Gooney Scuba
Old 09-11-2005, 6:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Also I'm ashamed to say I have no idea what the deal is with the trolleys - do you have to pay or is it just a deposit?
# 160
sixtyish
Old 09-11-2005, 6:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

ciabatta from Aldi is good, also they have ham in a piece cooked it is excellent. Chocolate good. Shower cleaner is good as well