Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Nett... (Page 64)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt
Views: 775,802
# 1261
Stompa
Old 02-05-2008, 9:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Don't buy 'Aldi Summerlite, Low Fat Sunflower Spread'. It has a major design fault - it doesn't melt when you spread it on hot toast.
Stompa
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 1262
Violetta
Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
Don't buy 'Aldi Summerlite, Low Fat Sunflower Spread'. It has a major design fault - it doesn't melt when you spread it on hot toast.
I think a lot of low fat spreads are a bit like that, they don't melt in the same way as full fat does, that's why they usually say not suitable for cooking with (not that spreading marg on toast classifies as cooking,well not for most of us). Can be a bit unappetising I use the St Ivel one sometimes and it's almost jellylike when you put it on toast YUK
Booo!!!

Last edited by Violetta; 03-05-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Terrible spelling mistakes!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Violetta For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1263
Stompa
Old 03-05-2008, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violetta View Post
I think a lot of low fat spreads are a bit like that, they don't melt in the same way as full fat does, that's why they usually say not suitable for ccoking with (not that spreading marg on toast classifies as cooking,well not for moast of us).
Thanks, that's interesting. I don't recall ever seeing this with other similar products, but perhaps I wasn't taking sufficient notice!
Stompa
The Following User Says Thank You to Stompa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1264
stamford
Old 17-05-2008, 10:59 PM
PPR

Thumbs up Top lager at Aldi

A must buy for all Beer Hunters at Aldi 6 x 500ml cans 4.7% Oettinger Pils in a cardboard pack in the chiller next to the milk.

A steal at 4.29.

Full spec brewed to the German Reinhietsgebot Purity Law by Oettinger Brauerei of Gotha.
The Following User Says Thank You to stamford For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1265
competitionscafe
Old 18-05-2008, 1:54 AM

Some more tips, tastings and discussion here - those mushrooms sound good, so does the macadamia nut chocolate.............
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/food/200...ely_right.html
"The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
best of everything; they just make the best
of everything that comes along their way."
-- Author Unknown --
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to competitionscafe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1266
EssexHebridean
Old 18-05-2008, 10:52 AM

Thanks to all for this thread - we're going to have a wander around our local Lidl later on and do some price-matching against our last Tesco receipt! Some good ideas for stuff worth having in here!
# 1267
icecubequeen
Old 18-05-2008, 11:06 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Aldi:

root vegetable crisps (sweet potato, carrot, beetroot & parsnip) 1.29
frozen mozarella dippers with sweet chilli sauce 10 pack 1.49 (I'm in love with these at mo lol)
frozen jaleopeno pepper cheese bites with sweet chilli sauce 10 pack 1.49 (again I loveeeeeeeeee these lol)
Part baked baguettes 2 pack 39p (ideal for making garlic bread)

The Following User Says Thank You to icecubequeen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1268
Schamansky
Old 18-05-2008, 12:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
A must buy for all Beer Hunters at Aldi 6 x 500ml cans 4.7% Oettinger Pils in a cardboard pack in the chiller next to the milk.

A steal at £4.29.

Full spec brewed to the German Reinhietsgebot Purity Law by Oettinger Brauerei of Gotha.
It's allright if you like it. Oettinger is actually Germany's cheapest beer, going at € 6.99 for a 20*500ml bottles crate and extremely popular in the motherland because of this price, although quite a mediocre brew, to put it in a friendly way. It's drinkable, but definitely at the lower end of the scale. Still, at that price, they're shifting lakes of it in Germany, since other brands cost up to twice as much. The brewery is expanding and expanding, buying up capacities left, right and centre.

Here they are:
http://www.oettinger-beer.com/english/index.htm

For the UK, £4.29 for 6*500ml cans is quite a rip-off, even with UK taxes on booze taken out of the picture.

All in all, Oettinger is ok where value for money is the main motive, but there's definitely better stuff out there. Get the Wernesgrüner.

Last edited by Schamansky; 18-05-2008 at 12:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schamansky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1269
Schamansky
Old 18-05-2008, 12:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Small thumbs up to Aldi for - Klassiek Dutch Lager £2.49 for 6 x 330ml bottles. Not a patch on their German brews but a cheap thirst quenching 5% neck juice
That's the Bavaria brewery, Lieshout, the Netherlands behind it.

www.bavaria.com

Bavaria NL make the best non-alcoholic malt available in Britain (maybe apart from German Clausthaler), both sold at Morrisons for a reasonable price.

Aldi have it with their weekly specials at the end of the year (for the poor guy who has to do the driving at New Year's Eve celebrations). Aldi brand it "Hollandia", but it's the same stuff. 99p for 4*330ml cans.

I mix it with 1:1 orange lemonade, that's what Germans call "Alsterwasser". Very refreshing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schamansky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1270
stamford
Old 18-05-2008, 12:54 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schamansky View Post
It's allright if you like it. Oettinger is actually Germany's cheapest beer, going at € 6.99 for a 20*500ml bottles crate and extremely popular in the motherland because of this price, although quite a mediocre brew, to put it in a friendly way. It's drinkable, but definitely at the lower end of the scale. Still, at that price, they're shifting lakes of it in Germany, since other brands cost up to twice as much. The brewery is expanding and expanding, buying up capacities left, right and centre.

Here they are:
http://www.oettinger-beer.com/english/index.htm

For the UK, £4.29 for 6*500ml cans is quite a rip-off, even with UK taxes on booze taken out of the picture.

All in all, Oettinger is ok where value for money is the main motive, but there's definitely better stuff out there. Get the Wernesgrüner.
Thanks for the info S - I think you are being a bit harsh on Aldi calling it a rip off ! - £1.43/litre for 5% lager isn't bad in my book think what the rest of the supermarkets charge for chemical swill like Stella or Kronenbourg
# 1271
Schamansky
Old 18-05-2008, 12:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Thanks for the info S - I think you are being a bit harsh on Aldi calling it a rip off ! - £1.43/litre for 5% lager isn't bad in my book think what the rest of the supermarkets charge for chemical swill like Stella or Kronenbourg
I'm just spoilt.
# 1272
EssexHebridean
Old 18-05-2008, 4:33 PM

Some of our finds today at Lidl.....

Mozarella cheese - 49p
Carton of Passata (Italian made so decent) 29p
Trays of "posh" cat food (single serve type) 20p each (Madam loves these!)
Rice noodles - 49p
Big lump of Permesan cheese - 2.78 (I reckoned this would have been somewhere close to 4 in Tesco)
Packets of seeds for the garden @ 29p each

I'll be heading back there for certain next time I need parmesan - there were lots of other cheeses there to try that looked rather interesting too, as well as some gorgeous looking salami's and smoked sausages.
The Following User Says Thank You to EssexHebridean For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1273
BexTech
Old 18-05-2008, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info S - I think you are being a bit harsh on Aldi calling it a rip off ! - 1.43/litre for 5% lager isn't bad in my book think what the rest of the supermarkets charge for chemical swill like Stella or Kronenbourg
Carling has to be the worst tasting lager that's sold in the UK.
It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
(OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
# 1274
Horace
Old 20-05-2008, 8:27 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I like Lidl's breakfast flakes with dried strawberries, raspberries and cherries - they taste just like Special K Summer Fruits but at half the price.
Semper in faeces profundum variat
The Following User Says Thank You to Horace For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1275
stamford
Old 20-05-2008, 11:37 AM
PPR

Aldi Charcoal Briquettes 2.29 / 5kg - bargain
# 1276
mrs_scrooge
Old 20-05-2008, 9:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

There was a selection of food from Italy at my Lidl today. Very attractive bottles of extra virgin olive oil containing pink peppercorns, rosemary, oregano, bay leaves, chillies etc 2.99. Gift for foodies or display and use? Also risotto rice with dried porcini mushrooms, veg or asparagus 1.29 and jars of cherries 2.99.

Half price veg today included lovely large aubergines for 44p each.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs_scrooge For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1277
neelix16
Old 21-05-2008, 8:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Aldi Ombra Suntan lotion

Has anyone tried Aldi's range of suntan lotions? It's in the store this week and very competitively priced compared to the big brands - 2.99 for 250ml.
# 1278
B33fy
Old 29-05-2008, 11:02 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Lidl - Knights Sweet Chilli crisps, far nicer and a lot cheaper than Walkers Sensations 99p 175g

Aldi - Moser Roth Dark Chocolate 85% Cocoa superb 99p for 5x25g bars and Moser Roth Milk Chocolate Caramel, the caramel is in tiny crispy pieces within the chocolate delicious
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B33fy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1279
sukysue
Old 29-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Lidl -Knights bombay mix gorgeous.
xXx-Sukysue-xXx
The Following User Says Thank You to sukysue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1280
barginunter
Old 29-05-2008, 2:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelix16 View Post
Has anyone tried Aldi's range of suntan lotions? It's in the store this week and very competitively priced compared to the big brands - 2.99 for 250ml.
Yes I have - it's fine.