Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > Hiring Things Out Ideas (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Hiring Things Out Ideas
Closed Thread
Views: 2,515
# 1
lawtz04
Old 18-08-2008, 8:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Hiring Things Out Ideas

Hiya

Whilst chatting with my partner tonight we stumbled onto the topic of making money and we came onto the idea of hiring things out. A good example (although its been in business for years) is a local company who hire out building and other such industrial equipment. They do all sorts from cement mixers to big gas barbeques.

Although they probably spend a bit on insurance and buying equipment i would imagine they still make a pretty decent profit.

It got me thinking about other things you could have. I thought about a games studio with games consoles etc (like an arcade i guess but no gambling and maybe a booking policy. But then I thought maybe with "the kids of today" (how old fashioned) I'd might struggle with it being a secure environment.

I just wondered if anyone else rents anything or has any good ideas about things you could rent. Photographic studio's was another one we thought of.
I've just started entering the competitions (July 07). When I win I'll update this signature. Look on the bright side, I shouldn't have to update it very often.
# 2
Papabuilt
Old 18-08-2008, 11:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I rent out my drive and those of neighbours when they are on holiday. To local businesses. The money isn't great but everyone is happy.
# 3
natc
Old 21-08-2008, 12:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think its a great idea if you can find a good product to hire out....i have also thought of this, on a small scale though, like chocolate fountains, hire cars - weddingy stuff really! i know someone who used to hire out bouncy castles and one of those tall floaty figures blows air through it, cant remember what they are called but made a decent living from it, dont know if he still does it.
# 4
lawtz04
Old 21-08-2008, 5:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I guess its all to do with what you can afford to shell out initially, then upkeep of whatever it is your hiring out. Not sure if you'd need insurance for the bouncy castle but thats not a bad idea really!

Anyone else any thoughts?
I've just started entering the competitions (July 07). When I win I'll update this signature. Look on the bright side, I shouldn't have to update it very often.
# 5
red devil
Old 21-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

how about your own carpet cleaner? Let them have it for say a week. You would have bought it anyway for your own home.:confused:
# 6
Lady_Lazarus
Old 22-08-2008, 12:06 AM
MoneySaving Convert

What about Van with a Man/Woman/Drive it yourself etc? I have been looking for one for weeks and all I could find were websites offering all day/weekly rental from £60.00 Only wanted it locally for an hour or so!
DEBT JUNE 2008 - £17,807.53
DEBT SEPTEMBER 2008 - £16,325.70

WINS: £150 THEATRE TOKENS, £100 CASH, MAMMA MIA SOUNDTRACK, RIZZLA WALLET, TREK BAR, BOTTLE OPENER, KEY RING
# 7
lawtz04
Old 22-08-2008, 5:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Im not sure what sort of service you mean Lady. You mean just someone who needs a van for a few hours?

I've thought about games consoles - cant remember if i put this in my previous message (can see it when your replying can ya!)
# 8
happy332
Old 15-06-2011, 1:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Hire your things out that you don't use

Hi

Just reading about the hiring out things. It's a new concept that people or hiring out their unused things. Parking spaces, driveways, garages even a bedroom is up for hire. Nowadays we all need a little extra and you may have something in the shed that could be hired out, it's an endless list. A new site mythings4hire do just this and provide a space for you to advertise your things you want to hire out. They have an offer on at the moment 6 MONTHS FREE. It's a new idea and a good one.
# 9
mitch161
Old 15-06-2011, 10:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

lawtz it appears to me you are looking more for idea's of renting out building space with your idea's of photo studio, arcades etc.

with business rates / mortgages or leasing costs eating into your monthly income along with insurance etc this would only be viable if you had a business that wanted to move in long term. great once they moved in you just receive the rent from them without any work. Well in reality this is not the case. maintenance and other factors occur more often then lets say buy-to-let housing.

in a buy to let house if a bulb blows most occupents would buy their own. if a florescent bulb blew in a business premises they'd be phoning you up for a electrician to come around and also some businesses may claim loss of income due to building work. which is where some businesses that rent out space are always popping in to do maintenance checks.

if renting space is a plan (if thats the path you are looking for) then buy to let can be less hassle and more guranteed income as there are lots of people looking for homes as apose to businesses looking to rent premises at hgher costs the standard leasing.

think about it. to cover all your costs and make a profit you would be looking to charge a rent higher then bills. not many companies would want to do this as its not financially beneficial. and their costs of painting the walls white for a photo studio or installing extra electrical sockets to plug in the 2 dozon XBOX and LCD screens would not be financially viable if the business would only rent for a month.

businesses wanting long term leases want property in high visable places where natural footfall is high to reduce their advertising costs. and most properties in highstreets and side streets of town centres are already owned by councils. so unless you already have a prime spot building already paid for in full and your willing to keep an eye on it then business leasing is not a plan..

personally using the space IE you being the manager of a arcade is more profitable, but still not as viable because most kids these days have internet connected to their xbox's at home.. possibly if you wanted to open a arcade style thing. it would have to be treated as a "tournament" event thing. but still risky customer wise.

renting/hiring equipment is more profitable. but if you want to stick to property renting. look more into domestic lettings more then business letting.
# 10
geordie joe
Old 15-06-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eZonomics View Post

One of our polls on ezonomics.com
Spammer, go away.
# 11
eZonomics
Old 16-06-2011, 11:01 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie joe View Post
Spammer, go away.
Apologies - it was not an attempt to spam, simply thought a bit of research on this topic might be of interest.
# 12
MikeyMacbeth
Old 16-06-2011, 11:14 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by eZonomics View Post
Apologies - it was not an attempt to spam, simply thought a bit of research on this topic might be of interest.
Perhaps a better way to have put it would have been "according to a poll I read on a website...." rather than directly promoting your own site. MSE have to justifyably careful of poeple promoting their own businesses on the forums here as it can mislead people who are loking for genuine help and advice from the not inconsiderable body of wisdom of people on here....

Regarding the OP - I like the idea sounds as though you may have something. Probably you need to be looking at stuff / facilities that are expensive to buy for a one off but there is a steady demand for (that's why the tool hire thing works)
# 13
happy332
Old 25-07-2011, 5:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi

I think for many Londoners their will be many opportunities to rent out their spare room, car space or even storage whilst the Olympics are on. They can also take full advantage of tax free earnings under the Government's "Rent a Room" scheme.

A great site that could help with this is mythings4hire .
# 14
jhp
Old 25-07-2011, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy332 View Post
Hi

I think for many Londoners their will be many opportunities to rent out their spare room, car space or even storage whilst the Olympics are on. They can also take full advantage of tax free earnings under the Government's "Rent a Room" scheme.

A great site that could help with this is XXXXXX
Second time you have promoted your own site in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
dingdongavoncalling
Old 25-07-2011, 7:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

There is a family near me that hires bouncy castles, sumo suits, bouncy slide, chocolate fountains etc, etc. They've got loads! They're known by everyone and do kids birthday parties, weddings, night clubs to school summer fetes.
# 16
Little Miss Uni-Debt
Old 26-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you have a nice home and a spare bit of floor then rent it out on AirBnB.com

The key is taking awesome photos!
Total@ LBM - Nov07 £14k - Nov 08 £5765 2009 Aug £3k Oct £2k Nov £1440 Dec £998 - May11 £6900 - Jun12 £8k Sept12 £7k
|||||||||||||||' 15.5k Down '||||||6.5k to go
Proud DFW Club Member - #1073
'1% at a time' Member - #1!
I am <still> having an out of money experience!
# 17
mila_30
Old 26-07-2011, 7:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy332 View Post
Hi

Just reading about the hiring out things. It's a new concept that people or hiring out their unused things. Parking spaces, driveways, garages even a bedroom is up for hire. Nowadays we all need a little extra and you may have something in the shed that could be hired out, it's an endless list. A new site mythings4hire do just this and provide a space for you to advertise your things you want to hire out. They have an offer on at the moment 6 MONTHS FREE. It's a new idea and a good one.
This so new, I never heard about this before. I will check on it now because I have some space and as well as vehicles that could be use in this new business. Thanks for sharing the information.
# 18
MattSS
Old 26-07-2011, 11:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mila_30 View Post
This so new, I never heard about this before. I will check on it now because I have some space and as well as vehicles that could be use in this new business. Thanks for sharing the information.
So new they have one listing! Got to promo a new business somewhere I suppose
"He hopes and he wished it but it didn’t fall in his lap so he ain’t even here"
Closed Thread