Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > Wireless USB dongle for SKY BB - what to get (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Wireless USB dongle for SKY BB - what to get
Closed Thread
Views: 19,190
# 1
giger
Old 18-08-2008, 10:05 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Wireless USB dongle for SKY BB - what to get

As per title, which is the best (& cheapest!) USB adaptor to use for wireless broadband with the SKY Netgear wireless router? Is it best to phone up sky and order one, or can the same one be had for less elsewhere?

Also, do they work fine for most people plugged directly into a USB socket on the back of the PC, or is a USB extension lead worth getting so I can get a better signal position?

TIA
# 2
RichPyke
Old 18-08-2008, 10:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Any will work
Cheap will not be as good as the pricey ones, you'll end up buying 2 or 3 cheap ones before you realise, therefore costing more than the pricey one.
Plug it in and away you go. They should be fine plugged straight in.

I guess sky will charge over the odds for their kit, get a price but check it against PC World and ebuyer.
Rich
The Following User Says Thank You to RichPyke For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
NickMidgley
Old 18-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Pretty well any dongle should work. If you want to stick with Netgear (which ain't too bad an idea as they're generally one of the best) the WG111 adapter can be had for about 15 or so if you hunt around. I don't know how much Sky would charge you, but there's a pretty decent chance it will be more. Doesn't hurt to ask, though.

The WG111 has an extension cable included, and it's definitely a good idea to use one. It will probably help with reception and will also reduce the chances of the dongle or your usb socket being damaged if your PC gets shoved about a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to NickMidgley For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
giger
Old 18-08-2008, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea most would be compatible. Sky sell the netgear one (that model number rings a bell) for around 20. I have heard sky can be difficult shall we say if you have problems with broadband and they find out you are not using SKY recommended kit.

I'll do a google on the model number and see what comes up. I would be tempted to go with the sky option if there is very little difference cost wise. Main thing is I wanted to make sure it was all compatible and had the best speed/reception.
# 5
RichPyke
Old 18-08-2008, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Basically, any will work with any other.
Some have higher speeds but they are all backwards compatable so don't worry about that.

Personally, I wouldn't use netgear, they have never been reliable for me however that may be to do with the location of my router and PCs. They have a good name so they can't be all bad I guess (but having the router moved all around my house, changing it 3 or 4 times then getting a buffalo one which works perfectly where the original router was makes me think netgear aren't too great).

Get a price from Sky for the dongle and find out what model no. it is. Google it, ebay it, check PC world, currys, comet, ebuyer, etc etc. and see if you can get the same cheaper elsewhere, Sky wont have any beef if you are using the same kit but didnt buy from them, how can they?
Rich
# 6
dawnydee73
Old 18-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by giger View Post
Thanks for the replies. I had no idea most would be compatible. Sky sell the netgear one (that model number rings a bell) for around 20. I have heard sky can be difficult shall we say if you have problems with broadband and they find out you are not using SKY recommended kit.

I'll do a google on the model number and see what comes up. I would be tempted to go with the sky option if there is very little difference cost wise. Main thing is I wanted to make sure it was all compatible and had the best speed/reception.
The one from Sky is WG111T and will cost you 25 plus 3.50 p&p, you are right you will not get much help from Sky if you do not purchase an adapter from them, they will tell you to contact the manufacturers of the adapter if you cannot connect wirelessly
# 7
NickMidgley
Old 18-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The WG111T is the 108mbps "Super G" equivalent of the WG111. 28.50 delivered isn't the cheapest, but it's not way overpriced either.

Whether you need the "T" model depends on the router model that Sky have supplied. Is it the DG834GT?
# 8
giger
Old 18-08-2008, 7:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, the sky router is the GT model so i'll take the extra speed if I can get it! Now I know the exact model a quick google reveals it is no cheaper at either Amazon or e-buyer. Dabs is a few pence less and it is also more money from play.com too.

It would appear that a lot of ppl complain that it runs too hot and can randomly disconnect. This seems a bit worrying!
# 9
albertross
Old 18-08-2008, 8:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The faster adapter won't speed your internet connection up.
# 10
giger
Old 18-08-2008, 8:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

No but I understand it will give me a higher data transfer rate between router and PC which I assume would be better for online gaming? I've just ordered it from play now as it was 50p more but there customer service is far better than sky!

Thanks for all your help
# 11
albertross
Old 18-08-2008, 8:58 PM

Not really, the limiting factor will be the net speed.
# 12
Lord_Gardener
Old 19-08-2008, 9:29 AM

We've got one of these which works really well!

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/359363...s/Product.html
I'm mad!!!! and celebrating everyday every year!!!
# 13
NickMidgley
Old 19-08-2008, 9:49 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
No but I understand it will give me a higher data transfer rate between router and PC which I assume would be better for online gaming? I've just ordered it from play now as it was 50p more but there customer service is far better than sky!

Thanks for all your help
Unless your internet speed is greater than 54Mbps (highly unlikely, for the time being at least) then your web access and, therefore, your online gaming won't be any faster using the GT router. Data transfer between other PCs on your local network will be quicker, though.
# 14
giger
Old 23-08-2008, 6:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well I have my WG111T wireless adaptor - now for the next question!
I have just noticed that the minimum requirements state XP SP2. Unfortunately I am still on SP1 as installing SP2 caused big problems with my PC. Does anyone know if this will work OK without SP2?
# 15
NickMidgley
Old 23-08-2008, 6:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work without SP2...make sure you install all the drivers.

What problems did SP2 cause you? It makes wireless connection a lot easier.
# 16
espresso
Old 23-08-2008, 6:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Well I have my WG111T wireless adaptor - now for the next question!
I have just noticed that the minimum requirements state XP SP2. Unfortunately I am still on SP1 as installing SP2 caused big problems with my PC. Does anyone know if this will work OK without SP2?
You need SP2 to get the WPA encryption enhancement. It is possible to download this separately (if you can find it on the M$ site) but you really should have SP2.
Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..
# 17
giger
Old 23-08-2008, 6:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well basically my PC stopped working and internet access was blocked regardless of what settings changes I made. Spent days trying to sort it out but ultimately had to revert back.

This was on a DELL dimension 4600 that came pre-installed with SP1. Lots of other people had similar issues.

Is someone able to point me to a good guide for configuring WPA on SP1.

Last edited by giger; 23-08-2008 at 6:43 PM.
Closed Thread